1903A3 Smith Corona new aquisition

Parker Duofold

NES Member
I've wanted an A3 to go with my original 1903 Springfield. Here are a few pics and I'm going to try to get to the range to day and run a few rounds through this rifle. Maybe take some more pictures.

Attachments

• 1903_A3_1.jpg
    1903_A3_1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 1903_A3_3.jpg
    1903_A3_3.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 1903_A3_2.jpg
    1903_A3_2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 1903_A3_5.jpg
    1903_A3_5.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 1903_A3_4.jpg
    1903_A3_4.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 1903_A3_6.jpg
    1903_A3_6.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 1903_A3_7.jpg
    1903_A3_7.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 1903_A3_8.jpg
    1903_A3_8.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 1903_A3_9.jpg
    1903_A3_9.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 1903_A3_10.jpg
    1903_A3_10.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Very nice! I need to get a 03 or 03A3 to go with the Garand...

Yes...yes you do!

- - - Updated - - -

I've wanted an A3 to go with my original 1903 Springfield. Here are a few pics and I'm going to try to get to the range to day and run a few rounds through this rifle. Maybe take some more pictures.

Get a picture of where you install the ribbon. [wink]

Very nice...congrats!

Yes, more pictures. For a SC stock, the spring band slot cut outs should be rounded at the end; Remington in square cut. A SC trigger guard is rounded at the front screw while a Remington is squared.

T

Nice, dude! I'm thinking of doing the same. If you don't mind me asking, what's the ballpark range I can expect to pay for an SC 03A3?

Yeah I'm curious also. Seems like what I see for sale on the CMP forums ranges from $700-$1200. Not SC specifically but other manufacturers. Of course condition plays a role in price too.

I've looked at the 03A3s offered from Creedmoor Sports through CMP for $955 and has a new (criterion) barrel? Of course it's not a collector piece but must shoot pretty well.

So tempting to buy another gun with tax return money but I shouldn't with more home repairs in the spring....

One more picture for now.

Went to the the range today for a test drive. Right away, with no sight adjustment, I was ringing the 100 yard steel plate with EVERY shot from the bench. Did pretty well standing up also (no sling). Now I don't know how the group might have been using a paper target but that doesn't concern me. The only issue I have was the bolt didn't pickup and load the next round every time. Out of about 30 rounds fired, this happened about 3 or 4 times. Maybe the spring under the follower is a little weak. Happy with my new purchase.

Attachments

• 1903_A3_11.jpg
    1903_A3_11.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 41
You need to get an SC typewriter to put next to it in the pics... nice.

Went to the the range today for a test drive. Right away, with no sight adjustment, I was ringing the 100 yard steel plate with EVERY shot from the bench. Did pretty well standing up also (no sling). Now I don't know how the group might have been using a paper target but that doesn't concern me. The only issue I have was the bolt didn't pickup and load the next round every time. Out of about 30 rounds fired, this happened about 3 or 4 times. Maybe the spring under the follower is a little weak. Happy with my new purchase.

If you load the mag by hand and don't push the cartridge all the way back it can miss feed. Try loading with a clip next time.

Yeah I'm curious also. Seems like what I see for sale on the CMP forums ranges from $700-$1200. Not SC specifically but other manufacturers. Of course condition plays a role in price too.

I've looked at the 03A3s offered from Creedmoor Sports through CMP for $955 and has a new (criterion) barrel? Of course it's not a collector piece but must shoot pretty well.

So tempting to buy another gun with tax return money but I shouldn't with more home repairs in the spring....

I have the 03a4 and know a few guys with the 03a3s and 03s from Rock Ridge, Gibbs, James River and so,on.
For shooting only they are very good not to say a 1000$ "original" 03 or A3 won't shoot well.
I have a 1903a3 I bought from a old timer who shot in the high 90s with it all through the 50s and 60s. It's a fun gun to shoot. Had some original appeal but it's not a collectable. It has been drilled for target sights, stock was heavily varnished to keep moisture at bay for competition.

As long as the crown is good the barrel is not bent most 1903 variants will hold the ten ring if you can.

Yes, more pictures. For a SC stock, the spring band slot cut outs should be rounded at the end; Remington in square cut. A SC trigger guard is rounded at the front screw while a Remington is squared.T

I have a Springfield Armory 03 with SN 1505XXX, which places the manufacturing date sometime in 1937 that was handed down to me. Since I know nothing about it, do any of the various makers have more value than the others (with the understanding that condition of the firearm is also important)?

I have a Springfield Armory 03 with SN 1505XXX, which places the manufacturing date sometime in 1937 that was handed down to me. Since I know nothing about it, do any of the various makers have more value than the others (with the understanding that condition of the firearm is also important)?

I'm pretty new to finding more info about these guns but prior to WWII only SA and RIA made them, then Remington came on during WWII and shifted into the 03a3s.
There's plenty of reading here. http://m1903.com/

Nice, dude! I'm thinking of doing the same. If you don't mind me asking, what's the ballpark range I can expect to pay for an SC 03A3?

I've seen them up here at gun shows for around $800. Usually they bring $100 or more over the price for an '03 or Rem A3. You don't want to know what I paid for my SC A3 (much less than $800). The metal was real good, the stock was cut. I knew the guy, he inherited it from his father, and part of the deal is he can come shoot it anytime. With me providing reman M2 ammo or original M72 ammo (or reman) at that.

You need to get an SC typewriter to put next to it in the pics... nice.

Funny you say that. I call my SC A3 "the typewriter".

The Model 1903 and 03-A3 have large swings in value, depending on maker, condition, original parts, and rarity of features and age. For the 1903, typical mixed part rebuilds are $4-800, with some early complete originals valued at $1,000 to $5,000 or more. There are also low and high serial number ranges denoting pre- and post-double heat treatment of the receivers (285,000 for Rock Island, and 800,000 for Springfield). Low number receivers can be considered as unsafe to shoot. Do lots of homework, take pics and ask many questions when considering a 1903. There are many mutts priced in the $8-1,200 range which can hardly be worth the sum of parts. There can also be lower priced diamonds in the rough. Research is your friend.

The Remington and Smith Corona 03-A3 can follow much along the same lines as the 1903, both in rebuild tendencies and price reflections, except that the maximum for a 100% original in excellent condition will seldom be worth more than $1,500-2,000. A Smith Corona will generally fetch $2-300 more than an equal Remington counterpart.

The gun in the OP has an October 1943 barrel and November 1943 serial numbered receiver, so it is likely the original pairing, and looks to have the original finish. The bolt has been replaced with a parkerized finished part, and the magazine floor plate has the correct profile but is refinished. Would need to see the inletting on the rear band spring to identify the stock, and also any cartouches on the left side. It is a rebuild, but much of it looks original, and could be a $700-1,000 gun as it appears.

Didn't the SCs have pinned stocks instead of bolts? or did they eventually change? I only ask because yours looks like it has bolts. I used to have 2 SCs and they both had pinned stocks.....And both had cracks.

Didn't the SCs have pinned stocks instead of bolts? or did they eventually change? I only ask because yours looks like it has bolts. I used to have 2 SCs and they both had pinned stocks.....And both had cracks.

There were enough SC pinned stocks to take them nearly to the end of production (Feb '44). But some crossbolt stocks do exist.

I suspect that the stock in the OP is a Remington.

The Model 1903 and 03-A3 have large swings in value, depending on maker, condition, original parts, and rarity of features and age. For the 1903, typical mixed part rebuilds are $4-800, with some early complete originals valued at $1,000 to $5,000 or more. There are also low and high serial number ranges denoting pre- and post-double heat treatment of the receivers (285,000 for Rock Island, and 800,000 for Springfield). Low number receivers can be considered as unsafe to shoot. Do lots of homework, take pics and ask many questions when considering a 1903. There are many mutts priced in the $8-1,200 range which can hardly be worth the sum of parts. There can also be lower priced diamonds in the rough. Research is your friend.

Good advice here, years ago I picked up a SC at a gun show, not know any better. The thing was a mess and I knew that going into it, the biggest problem was the gun would not headspace. I suspect someone put a new barrel on it, new barrels are short chambered and need to be finished reamed...Lesson learned and I finally got it worked out.

I like mine as well (9/43 Remington). Only complaint is that it feels like a Tin Can next to an original '03. Not my best day shooting.

T

Last edited:
Nice rifle. It looks like we are turning this into a Smith Corona 03A3 thread.

IMG_2517.jpg

So when you say it didn't pickup the next round, you mean the bolt just slid over the round? Sounds like you didn't pull the bolt back all the way if the spring is not the issue. I've got several 03s and an A4 and never use clips to load any of them and have never had that happen to me unless I didn't pull the bolt back far enough.

You could also try dropping the trigger guard/mag assembly out and re-seating it. Possibly could be a little off. I completely strip mine down and clean/lube and reassemble before the first trip to the range so I know everything is fitted and assembled properly.

I was just about to "pull the trigger" on a m39 and I saw a a beautiful SC 1903a3. I will post pix when I receive it. The Mosin will have to wait a little longer.

Last edited:
I was just about to "pull the trigger" on a m39 and I saw a a beautiful SC 1903a1. I will post pix when I receive it. The Mosin will have to wait a little longer.

An SC 1903A1 would be quite an interesting find! I assume you mean a 1903A3 since SC never made 03s. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom