1903A3 and M1s available?

Looks like CMP is back in stock now. I am ordering my 1903A3s tonight. Then I will look at CMP regularly through March 1st for the M1 Carbines that they will have.

Order early and order often will be my motto.

Plus, they will have barreled receivers that will be US$75 each for your "wall mounted trophies" by adding some inexpensive stocks.

I heard the 03A3s are a crap shoot because they are rifles that were used to shoot thousands of blanks and not cleaned. Judging from what I saw when people bought the Enfield parade rifles, if I were you I'd wait and check the local gun shows or sales pages for better graded rifles first.

I heard the 03A3s are a crap shoot because they are rifles that were used to shoot thousands of blanks and not cleaned. Judging from what I saw when people bought the Enfield parade rifles, if I were you I'd wait and check the local gun shows or sales pages for better graded rifles first.

crap shoot - yup... and those listed aren't cheap !

Okay, I will listen to you guys, and look a little more for a A303. I was just basing the US$500 from CMP versus the typical street prices of US$900-1200 for a "good" to "very good" mix-master and US$2000 and up for an excellent graded one with matching s/n. I just looked at GunsAmerica and saw the same type of range.

And, yes, the CMP site tells you directly that these guns are coming from veterans orgs and have shot blanks. But I guess I was thinking that a new barrel for US$100 and some cleaning would give me a fairly reasonable A303. It would still be much less than the $900-1200 range. And they still rate these guns as "good" and "very good." And the 1903s that I bought last year with this rating turned out to be in great condition, and I was very happy.

So Pilgrim, when you say the CMP A303s "aren't cheap," what are you seeing for a normal price for an A303?

Where will the M1 carbines be coming from? Will they be parade guns also?

But, I respect your opinions as I know you both have some great collections. So I will do some more looking and thinking and hold on to my order form for now.

Thanks for your comments.

Strickland's has 2 03a3's that look like good shooters in the 600-700 range.

I bought one about 18 mo ago from CMP for $400 and it was listed as service grade - a good shooter- and when I got it it was like a new refurb- nearly perfect.

So for $500 now from CMP for a gun that you can't shoot, I think that's a lot.

Last edited:
If you get one and have it re barreled, you'll no doubt end up with a really nice shooter. Buying from the CMP isn't a bad thing, just sometimes they have questionable rifles like when they had the 1917s a while back that were advertised with possibly bad bores. I myself have never had a rifle re barreled, but if I had the means to and found a cheap 03 with bad bore, I'd go for it.
The thing about these 03s that CMP will be offering now is that I've seen gun show Springfield rifles in good to very good condition for the same price. Hence the gamble.

Where will the M1 carbines be coming from? Will they be parade guns also?

ODCMP hasn't divulged where they're from yet, but according to a rumor or two (via the ODCMP forum), they could be either from a stockpile in Italy or Korea.

There is a nice 03A3 at Zero Hour, nice bore and nice metal. Wood is a little banged up but it is not refinished.
There is also an 1903 there, same thing but the metal is not as nice as the A3.
The 1903 is 400 and the A3 is 650

I've already printed out the order form and have all the necessary paperwork in an envelop to be mailed as soon as the carbines go on sale. Figure they will go REAL quick. Want to make sure I get one of these.

Back
Top Bottom