1902a3 CMP Match Rifle - build or buy? School me please...

Mountain

NES Member
The next project or purchase I am jonesing for is a 1903a3 for CMP as-issued matches, etc. Looking for a shooter, only mild interest for anything collectible. I have this Camp Perry pipe dream and would like to take my M1 and a Springfield.

I've shot a few JC Garand matches with mac1911 (last one he took the gold & I got the silver). I don't want to buy or build something out of unobtanium for a hyper-accuracy and big $, but I do want something that will hit the 10 ring all day, any day as long as I do my part. My CMP Special Garand will do that- anything outside the 10 is totally my fault. I'd really like to build a 1903a3 but am basically clueless. If buying is a better bet for my purpose, that's OK.

I've searched some NES posts and the net, but most of the info I am finding is heavy on collector info. Any advice for this would be much appreciated. What make receivers are good? What other components? Barrels- some originals good for matches, or just go with new (Criterion, etc.)? What to look for in a stock? Stock fit critical? Sights?

Any (rules legal) modifications recommended?

Thanks NES!

I can't really speak to this other than I know a lot of shooters like to replace the a3 stamped trigger guard with the milled guard of the 03, especially the ones produced with the welded steel reinforcement pad.

Milsurps.com his a ton of info on this kind of stuff.

I wish you luck. a3's are such great rifles.

Mountain , the rifles cmp offers are distributed by creedmore sports and built by Rock Ridge Machine.
I have a 1903A4 ive posted about it here a few times.
They are very nice for the money , building one will be expensive. Especially if you need to sub out some work to the gunsmith. I have the receiver wrench but not the barrel vise block. I'm only tooled to assemble M1's.
The CMP prices are decent for what you get. I would get the C stock. My trigger is nice on mine but needs a little work or use to get ride of the parkerize feel to it. Other than that these rifles should hold the 10 ring all day. James River Armory also offers these. I'm not sure if they build them out right or buy barreled actions from Rock Ridge?

You can find other options or originals. My 1903a3 I,shoot in the cmp matches was a Rescued sporter.
I basically just needed a new C stock and installed the original parts the seller still had.

OK, thanks. I'm sensing that cost of special tools and buying components separately is not economic if planning to only build one. Mostly I'd just like a shooter for next spring. I have listed a nice Windham AR and will likely sell one or two Mosins including a M39 Finn. That should cover the 1903a3. I will dig into some sources for built rifles.

OK, thanks. I'm sensing that cost of special tools and buying components separately is not economic if planning to only build one. Mostly I'd just like a shooter for next spring. I have listed a nice Windham AR and will likely sell one or two Mosins including a M39 Finn. That should cover the 1903a3. I will dig into some sources for built rifles.

You will need a short list of tools
Action wrench and barrel vise $50-100
Finish reamer and pull through - $190
Go no go gauge set $50

That's just a few tools....
I was going to build out a receiver I had but sold it as buying USGI parts was more costly than buying a complete rifle.

You will need a short list of tools
Action wrench and barrel vise $50-100
Finish reamer and pull through - $190
Go no go gauge set $50

That's just a few tools....
I was going to build out a receiver I had but sold it as buying USGI parts was more costly than buying a complete rifle.

Back
Top Bottom