17 Year Old looking for advice

Hi everyone,

I am 17 years old and will be 18 in May. As it is, I have a MA driver's license and MA FID card. I also have the appropriate fulfillment requirements to get a Class B license. However... having such a license gains little for me...and I will likely transfer out of MA at the first opportunity, which may be now.

My parents own a house in Maine that we consider our home away from home. I am wondering how hard it would be for me to declare that address as my location of residence. Then get a Maine driver's license and take a Maine Concealed Carry pistol course(which I currently have an opportunity to pursue). Then get some long gun goodies with my driver's license as I wait for the CCW permit to process.

I would like to know what I may be missing or such. I would still likely "live" in Mass, but with college coming up, I do not know how that really matters. As it is right now, my acceptance schools are both in PA. However, my higher preference schools are in Rhode Island and New York (not much better than MA, I know).

Overall, I would like to have all the paperwork at least filed over the summer.

Thanks!

Sue your parents! Kidding. Can't get your LTC in MA till you're 21 tho.

Dont know the ME age requirement tho.

There is no difference in age and training for an LTC-B vs LTC-A, so get the A.

Yes, there is a federal law prohibiting dealer sales of handguns to those under 21.

As to residence - tricky, but unless you are going to buy and keep them in ME, you would be limited to what you can have in MA, so no need to play the "I be a Mainer" game. Besides, the non-resident ME LTC is easy to do by mail (takes a couple of months though).

[STRIKE][/STRIKE]Since you will be in school why don't you live up in ME over the summer and declare ME your residence? I don't know the advantages well enough for gun ownership between all of your potential States you may live in while in school.
For now your best bet is to just continue being a mass resident as you stated you will spend some time here before schooling. You may want to look into licenseing in the States you may live in for few years while in school. Also consider you mayneed to get a license in which ever state you decide to be in if you plan to have any guns in your possession? Be it resident or non resident.
Focus on school is my end tip

you'll probably need utility bills and such in your name to prove that's where you live

I think you will find this helpful. [url]http://www.maine.gov/revenue/incomeestate/guidance/Residency_Guide_12.htm
[/URL]

Based on what I have read from your post and this link, I do not think you can claim residency by staying in your family's vacation home for a summer. Since you state it is your home away from home, you are admitting that it is not your primary home, therefore you cannot claim it as your legal domicile.

However, when you get to PA for college, you can claim residency per the ATF requirements and be able to purchase guns in PA as a full time student residing in that state. There is an old post on here addressing that issue or you can look up the requirements on ATF's website. Good luck.

The thing to keep in mind is that there are different types of residency. The ATF has one, ME has one and then they have another one for tax purposes. You should do all the reading that you can and be sure what you are doing is not a violation of the law.

you don't get to "declare" your residency for firearms licensing. for the most part residency is where you physically live.

the most common exception would be a duty station for active military

Can you get a Maine driver's license? Then register to vote there. And go vote there!

Then ask your parents to let you pay electric and trash bills in Maine. That would also help you build credit history I think.

Can you get a Maine driver's license? Then register to vote there. And go vote there!

Then ask your parents to let you pay electric and trash bills in Maine. That would also help you build credit history I think.

Trash bill? What is that? They charge you for your trash in MA???

Put in for your MA FID. Then when you go to school you get covered there by ATF ruling. You get guns in both states, work around stupid laws, and are covered with FOPA going between the two.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom