• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can’t wait for the Boston Glob to go out of business.

It basically did go out of business and was bought by John Henry, the Red Sox owner, as a toy for his wife.

From Wikipedia:

......it was sold to The New York Times in 1993 for $1.1 billion, making it one of the most expensive print purchases in U.S. history.[7] The newspaper was purchased in 2013 by Boston Red Sox owner John W. Henry for $70 million from The New York Times Company, having lost over 90% of its value in 20 years.

Last edited:
I truly despise the Boston Globe. That said, it is good for Boston to have two newspapers. Once a city is down to a single newspaper, the quality of that newspaper goes completely into the toilet, even further than the Globe is now.

So as much as I hate the Globe and refuse to read it, I think it is important that it stays around, because if the Globe goes under then the Boston Herald will go to crap.

I truly despise the Boston Globe. That said, it is good for Boston to have two newspapers. Once a city is down to a single newspaper, the quality of that newspaper goes completely into the toilet, even further than the Globe is now.

So as much as I hate the Globe and refuse to read it, I think it is important that it stays around, because if the Globe goes under then the Boston Herald will go to crap.
Go spend $4.50 on the Sunday herald and then tell me it isn’t crap now.

You mean like what we have in Maine?

You mean like what we have in Maine?
I don't know the Maine media market. But the principle is straightforward -- monopolies tend not to care about providing good service. Competition is generally better for the consumer than a monopoly.

Back
Top Bottom