.17 Winchester Super Magnum

I just read the article (magazine) and it looks like a hot little round. Henry should make a levergun in this cartridge.

Henry makes a lever gun in .22WMR, and .17HMR, so I assume it would be ok in .17 Win Supermag.

That was my thought, but I couldn't find any thing to prove or disprove my thought. I know that the rim contains the.primer but was unsure if the whole back was charged.

I am new to NES. Any tip to start a group buy (planning now, it is not official out yet).

This is an interesting round. It is now approaching enough power for coyotes. The alternative is something like a .223 necked down to the .17 or even 20 like a .20 Practical, or downloading a .223 for quietness.

I've got a Savage 220... love it. I'll definitely be purchasing more of their stuff on down the road, and this looks like a great candidate for the next buy!

The Savage BMAG is a complete POS. I love Savage rifles but this one is a dud.

My BMAG is currently producing groups up to 4.5 MOA....and it has nothing to do with the shooter. This is a common thing with these rifles, sadly.

"The case is based off a .27--caliber nail-gun blank..."

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2013/01/worlds-fastest-rimfire

This might be the rimfire I'm looking for.

I have the Savage rifle for this caliber. The best that I can get out of it 2 1/2 "at 100 yards. This rifle is, or at least was at the time topped with a Leupold VX6 1-6 with a fire dot reticle One other guy that I know got his this week after I got mine and the best that he can get is 4 1/2" at 100 yards as well. Conversely, my Colt CCR, "Colt Competition Rifle ", will shoot .260 at 100 yards as a comparison. If I had it to do over again, I would wait until a quality Remington model 7 or model 700 was available. Anybody want to buy a poor shooting Savage rifle in .17WSM caliber?

Hey Hoon, I just saw that your post is just above mine.

Last edited:
How fast can you push a .17 before copper fouling becomes a problem? If I remember right that was a issue with the .17 centerfires.

According to the Winchester box that I'm reading, the 20 grain, 17WSM is moving at 3000 F.P.S.. It shouldn't be fouled after a few sighting in rounds though.

I have the Savage rifle for this caliber. The best that I can get out of it 2 1/2 "at 100 yards. This rifle is, or at least was at the time topped with a Leupold VX6 1-6 with a fire dot reticle One other guy that I know got his this week after I got mine and the best that he can get is 4 1/2" at 100 yards as well. Conversely, my Colt CCR, "Colt Competition Rifle ", will shoot .260 at 100 yards as a comparison. If I had it to do over again, I would wait until a quality Remington model 7 or model 700 was available. Anybody want to buy a poor shooting Savage rifle in .17WSM caliber?

Hey Hoon, I just saw that your post is just above mine.

I'm in the same spot. My best 5-shot group at 100 yards is 2.2", and they go all the way up to 4.5".

Simply put, these Savage BMAGs are useless. Can't even hunt with something this inaccurate.

I'm going to buy a stock, as i think that is the majority of the issue. If i can't get this gun down to 1 MOA it's gone. I hate to accept 1 MOA...but i have to manage my expectations on this one.

I've read a lot of less than favorable reviews of the B.MAG, but there are the odd ones that do report fairly good accuracy. The weird thing is the mixed results with the different catridge offerings -- some report better with the lighter loads, others say the heavier round is better?

I'm hoping the Franklin Armory AR .17 WSM works out, and they produce uppers that will function with a standard carbine buffer.

Back
Top Bottom