17HMR, Coyote, Night hunt, legal?

I meant have the legislature amend that. I will talk to my state rep to see what he thinks.
I haven't found any recent legislative actions relative to the use of firearms at night.

Changing the existing language from .22LR for rifles, to rimfire cartridges, might be doable? .22 WMR I would think suitable for the taking of coyote, but do not have experience to make that judgement.

If chambered is the key word, if 357 is less than 38 special try chambering a 357 in a 38.[hmmm]

The difference is that WRT the rifle, the cartridge (i.e. 22 long rifle) is specifically called out. In the case of the handgun, the operative specifier is the caliber.

Typical foncusing Mass laws. It was only in the last few years that the language of about chambered for and long rifle were included....before the .17 HMR became "in," it was not an issiue.

If you're unsure, call the EPOs and ask.

I haven't found any recent legislative actions relative to the use of firearms at night.

Changing the existing language from .22LR for rifles, to rimfire cartridges, might be doable? .22 WMR I would think suitable for the taking of coyote, but do not have experience to make that judgement.

Actually...

Perhaps a proposal to alter the language with regard to rifle caliber would be the better way to go?

Change this:
"Section 67. A person shall not use or possess, where birds or mammals may be found, any rifle chambered to take larger than twenty-two long rifle ammunition, or any revolver or pistol chambered to take larger than thirty-eight caliber ammunition between the hours of one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise of any day throughout the year. "

TO this:
"Section 67. A person shall not use or possess, where birds or mammals may be found, any rifle chambered to take larger than twenty-two caliber ammunition, or any revolver or pistol chambered to take larger than thirty-eight caliber ammunition between the hours of one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise of any day throughout the year. "

You know, for the sake of uniformity?

Actually...

Perhaps a proposal to alter the language with regard to rifle caliber would be the better way to go?

Change this:
"Section 67. A person shall not use or possess, where birds or mammals may be found, any rifle chambered to take larger than twenty-two long rifle ammunition, or any revolver or pistol chambered to take larger than thirty-eight caliber ammunition between the hours of one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise of any day throughout the year. "

TO this:
"Section 67. A person shall not use or possess, where birds or mammals may be found, any rifle chambered to take larger than twenty-two caliber ammunition, or any revolver or pistol chambered to take larger than thirty-eight caliber ammunition between the hours of one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise of any day throughout the year. "

You know, for the sake of uniformity?

As much as I believe their should be no firearm restrictions, i'd settle on "any rifle chambered to take centerfire ammunition" and that would free up all rimfires.

Back
Top Bottom