'17 NH Constitutional Carry, SB12 is law & U can carry if U can own, including MA res

What is the anticipated time frame for the Governor to sign?

wondering the same thing...

So, not to be pushy, but, is there a timeline to (the gov) signing and an effective date?

Not sure about the signing, but I was under the impression that the effective date was the date signed.

The New Hampshire constitution provides that a bill becomes law if it is not signed or vetoed by the governor within five days, excluding Sundays, of passage, which means Wendesday the 15th at the latest. But since constitutional carry was a campaign issue for Sununu, I don't think he'll dally that long.

The 15th will most likely not be correct. The clock starts once the governor has the bill on his desk to sign. There is a bit of an arcane process that is followed before it gets to his desk.
I am pulling this from memory so it may not be exact.

First, the bill is looked at by the House and senate clerks for typos. Then both the Senate president and House speaker sign off that everything is correct. Then the Secretary of State drafts the bill onto high quality paper (this might be first) and then it is sent to the governors desk.

This process can take anywhere from a week. So unless the Speaker and Senate president want this rushed, I suspect the earliest we will see this on the governors desk is next Friday, 2/17. Then from there the governor has 5 consecutive days to sign or veto it before it automatically becomes law without his signature. Meaning Con carry in NH would be law by Tuesday 2/21 if he received it on 2/17.

Before March begins NH will be a con carry state.

Does this apply to us out of staters who might now want to step foot in NH?

Yes it applies to anyone who is not a prohibited person.

From the Union Leader two days ago:

Another View - Alan Rice and J.R. Hoell: Time for Constitutional Carry in NH
By ALAN RICE and J.R. HOELL

Allowing law-abiding people to carry firearms, concealed or openly is a good thing. This is evidenced by the low crime rates in all three northern New England states. Two of those states, Maine and Vermont, allow law abiding persons to carry concealed firearms without a government issued permit or license. Vermont has done so for close to 200 years. New Hampshire is the lone holdout in adopting a Constitutional Carry law that will allow law-abiding people to carry a concealed self-defense firearm without a license.

Thursday, the New Hampshire House of Representatives will have the opportunity to change this by voting yes on SB 12. Repealing the ban on carrying pistols or revolvers without a license should be an easy vote.

Anti-gun activists from New York City have ascended on New Hampshire and are attempting to not only stop the passage of SB 12, but to also enact New York-style gun control in New Hampshire. These out-of-state meddlers need to be told that New Hampshire and our freedoms are not for sale.

Criminals prefer unarmed victims. Concealed carry works because the gun is concealed and a criminal does not know if his potential victim is able to fight back.

The right to own, carry and use firearms for self defense is a constitutionally protected civil right and should not end when a person puts on a coat. The founders did not contemplate citizens groveling to public officials to exercise that right. That’s a 20th-century creation.

One should note, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the police have no duty to protect average citizens and cannot be held responsible for failure to prevent a violent crime. Armed self defense by law-abiding people has been proven to work; this is the best option that law-abiding citizens have for self defense. Here are some examples...

Link: http://www.unionleader.com/Another-...-Time-for-Constitutional-Carry-in-NH-02082017

The 15th will most likely not be correct. The clock starts once the governor has the bill on his desk to sign. There is a bit of an arcane process that is followed before it gets to his desk.
I am pulling this from memory so it may not be exact.

First, the bill is looked at by the House and senate clerks for typos. Then both the Senate president and House speaker sign off that everything is correct. Then the Secretary of State drafts the bill onto high quality paper (this might be first) and then it is sent to the governors desk.

This process can take anywhere from a week. So unless the Speaker and Senate president want this rushed, I suspect the earliest we will see this on the governors desk is next Friday, 2/17. Then from there the governor has 5 consecutive days to sign or veto it before it automatically becomes law without his signature. Meaning Con carry in NH would be law by Tuesday 2/21 if he received it on 2/17.

Yes it applies to anyone who is not a prohibited person.

Thank you for the information! I would love to be present when it is signed. Not sure if that's possible or not. This bill means a lot to me.

Last edited:
Guess I haven't seen this , so I 'm asking as a non res carrying concealed is there a duty to notify under this.

No duty to notify. If you are asked to get out of your vehicle at that time it would be prudent to let the officer know you are carrying and to ask him how he wants you to proceed. Do not use the verbiage "Gun." Use firearm, or use "Carrying concealed." followed by the "How do you want me to proceed."

Gotta love NH... Even with the bad weather, they still went in and got shit done... What did the MA house/senate do today?? Shelter in place? [rofl2]

I am really ok with this. When the MA Legislature gets together, it spells nothing but trouble for liberty and freedom!!

“No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session.” The title quote is generally attributed to either Mark Twain or Gideon J. Tucker.

- - - Updated - - -

We need more DINO's in the house. If you live in a dem town, run for rep as a dem. Party should become irrelevant.

Didn't Dems, at one point in time, used to be more about personal liberties and the Constitution before they were hijacked by the Communist left?

Last edited:
At current pace, it'll be 2019 before this is reflected on NHSP website

Any over/under bets on how many more years it will take for New Hampshire State Police to update the FAQ on their website?

How does signage posted at stores and other businesses (GFZ) come into play? Is it like in Ma where it doesn't really mean anything?
CC doesn't change anything in relation to this, law stays the same -- only GFZ called out in state law would be an "area used by a court''.

Last edited:
Didn't Dems, at one point in time, used to be more about personal liberties and the Constitution before they were hijacked by the Communist left?

Yup...right up until FDR and then took a turn for the worse at LBJ.

Thank you to all that made this happen. SB12 would not be headed to the Governor's desk without your help.
For those that want to help out, NHFC is $20/year to join and there are other fights in the future worth investing in.
BTW: we still need to stop HB350 and HB201
http://www.nhfc-ontarget.org/

-Design
PS. Buy a rifle to celebrate and help the cause: http://www.nhfc-ontarget.org/custom-nhfc-rifles/

Well done! Glad one state in New England is having things move in the right direction. Sadly, the southern NE states will want to "make up for it".

Thank you to all that made this happen. SB12 would not be headed to the Governor's desk without your help.
For those that want to help out, NHFC is $20/year to join and there are other fights in the future worth investing in.
BTW: we still need to stop HB350 and HB201
http://www.nhfc-ontarget.org/

-Design
PS. Buy a rifle to celebrate and help the cause: http://www.nhfc-ontarget.org/custom-nhfc-rifles/

Good job on the UL editorial!

We should also get a bill filed to extend a P&R license expiration for life too.

I heard via an email blast yesterday that these bills were already ITL'ed. Was that information not correct?
In NH every bill goes to the House floor for a final vote. Nothing is dead until it has been killed and reconsidered on the House floor.

Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.

We should also get a bill filed to extend a P&R license expiration for life too.
I believe SB12 also extends the PRL another year to 5, life would be good, but 10 bucks for 5 years isn't bad.
Shhh.... The 5 year expiration serves a very specific purpose. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom