• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open carry is retarded

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest problem with OC is control of my gun. Sure, if I'm out in the woods or somewhere isolated, no problem, but in a crowd someone can too easily come up behind you and grab it before you can do anything about it. Then you've got a whole different kettle of fish.

5-0 said:
Contrary to popular belief, its my '3 wolf moon' t-shirt that I wear on duty that gives me open carry powers.

And one of those nifty oathkeeper tabs or a three percenter badge or one of those neat red hats gives the power to decided how other people should carry, or vote, or think, or whatever.

You're in line at a convenience store open carrying when an armed robber comes in with a gun. He sees your gun. What do you suppose his next move might be?

If people want to open carry I could not care less but I don't think it's a good idea.

Shoot you first before you have a chance to think about your "Stand your ground" laws of your state, reach for your gun and aim??

My biggest problem with OC is control of my gun. Sure, if I'm out in the woods or somewhere isolated, no problem, but in a crowd someone can too easily come up behind you and grab it before you can do anything about it. Then you've got a whole different kettle of fish.

So how many LEO carry weapons have been stolen each year at St. Patrick's Day Parade (or equivalent)? Drunk kids, crowds, and lots of cops with guns? It should be a carry gun grab fest.

Leave the store?, what is the likelyhood the armed robber will be focused on a patron of said store and not on the clerk behind the counter, criminals are not criminals because they are mental giants, there are numerous videos and stories of crooks trying to rob stores and gas stations while a LEO is on the premises.

If you don't feel comfortable open carrying don't do it but please don't accidently flash your carry piece.

What is the likelihood? Nobody can answer that question.

What is the likelihood that the thug would see my concealed gun, panic, and open fire? I can answer that question: 0

I read boards based in other states, where the users clamor on about open carry, the issues they have and how they feel its their right to brandish their firearms to an unsuspecting public and police apparatus.

Before you get mad, I am a huge supporter of second amendment rights and concealed carry - as evidenced by other posts I have here.

But open carry?

I guess I don't get it and in spite of me calling it retarded, Im willing to listen to any wisdom on the subject. From a practical standpoint, the first thing I do is put myself in the shoes of a determined criminal - if he or she sees a goober carrying openly, he or she is going to remove that goober first and carry on with whatever other crimes that were planned for the day.

You might say that its a deterrent, but again, I don't see it. If anything, I think it creates an atmosphere whereby the determined criminal knows who the enemy is, the police know who they can harass and the non-gun public is just confused and scared.

I know, screw the sheeple, right? No. Gun control might have been muted,but there have been plenty of higher profile shootings that have put them back on edge. At a time where we should either be winning public support or keeping the non gunners quiet, the media is foisting these shootings, alongside heavily armed civilians as if they're one in the same. It sucks that we have to fight for what is essentially a civil and human right, but them's the breaks as my grandfather used to say.

Having been carrying for a year, and shooting for more than 20, I know that the best weapon is the one between one's ears. With the open carry movement, I have to wonder what exactly IS between the ears.

By your logic, every time a criminal walks into a convenience store to rob it, and sees a cop, he shoots him and then robs the store. Really? He doesn't just turn around and leave, and look for a place to rob where there isn't a guy with a gun standing there?

Does that scenario even make sense? Then why do you think that The same guy will walk in, see a guy with a gun, and shoot him, and then rob the store?

And is since you're so convinced this will happen, perhaps you can list the many times it has happened, so we can evaluate your argument on its merits.

Whether or not I choose to OC for whatever reason, those guys are out there doing good work, normalizing gun carrying and showing that everyday people carrying a gun is no big deal. I'd never denigrate them for it, but then I'm not a jerk who would call people "retarded" for disagreeing with my idea of right and wrong.

Just as no one firearm is perfect for every application, no carry method is perfect for every application. When I'm riding or hiking or working around the house, open carry is the best option for me. When I'm at work, concealed is the best option.

The only thing that is retarded is the ignorance that an individual would have in presuming that one carry method is always better than the other.

Have a nice day.

I read boards based in other states, where the users clamor on about open carry, the issues they have and how they feel its their right to brandish their firearms to an unsuspecting public and police apparatus.

Before you get mad, I am a huge supporter of second amendment rights and concealed carry - as evidenced by other posts I have here.

But open carry?

I guess I don't get it and in spite of me calling it retarded, Im willing to listen to any wisdom on the subject. From a practical standpoint, the first thing I do is put myself in the shoes of a determined criminal - if he or she sees a goober carrying openly, he or she is going to remove that goober first and carry on with whatever other crimes that were planned for the day.

You might say that its a deterrent, but again, I don't see it. If anything, I think it creates an atmosphere whereby the determined criminal knows who the enemy is, the police know who they can harass and the non-gun public is just confused and scared.

I know, screw the sheeple, right? No. Gun control might have been muted,but there have been plenty of higher profile shootings that have put them back on edge. At a time where we should either be winning public support or keeping the non gunners quiet, the media is foisting these shootings, alongside heavily armed civilians as if they're one in the same. It sucks that we have to fight for what is essentially a civil and human right, but them's the breaks as my grandfather used to say.

Having been carrying for a year, and shooting for more than 20, I know that the best weapon is the one between one's ears. With the open carry movement, I have to wonder what exactly IS between the ears.
speechless.gif

I'm going to go ahead and shut this nonsense down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom