15 year old with FID - but cannot own long gun?

Whatever you do, NEVER EVER ask the police if something (wrt MA gun laws) is legal or not!!!!!!

I can't emphasis this enough. They know a lot less about the gun laws than even the lowest rookie here on NES but they do tend to make shit up to cover for their lack of knowledge . . . and it is almost always wrong.

Hunter's Ed classes often have empty seats even though the website lists them as full. Most instructors will accept walk-ins if they have space. Get there early and good luck.

Or just do the Texas online hunter ed to check your checkbox, then go out with an experienced hunter to actually learn.

Hunter's Ed classes often have empty seats even though the website lists them as full. Most instructors will accept walk-ins if they have space. Get there early and good luck.

While this is true to a certain extent, PLEASE CONTACT THE VENUE and check to see if they will take walk-ins, out of courtesy.

While this is true to a certain extent, PLEASE CONTACT THE VENUE and check to see if they will take walk-ins, out of courtesy.

When only 42 out of 75 registered show up (they never contacted me to confirm), I'm certain that walk-ins will be allowed anywhere as long as there are no-shows.

When I took my hunters ed, I called and asked if my two kids would be able to sit in back. Was told as long as they didn't disturb anyone it was fine.
Once they got there, the instructors gave them packets and they took the class.

Instructor s were great

When only 42 out of 75 registered show up (they never contacted me to confirm), I'm certain that walk-ins will be allowed anywhere as long as there are no-shows.

Understood. My Club's HE courses traditionally have a 10-15% no show rate, with about the same number of walk-ins. The issue is not the seats, it's the info packets.

HE Instructors try to get everyone edjumacated.

I don't get the logic here. Why wait 4 years after taking the course? The FID is gonna allow you to still purchase firearms (within what is allowed) and head to the range. Unless she did the course as training, I get it....kind of.
She really only goes to the range with her sister or I, with our guns & ammo, so she said she'd wait.

I've read the thread and it's still not clear to me what an FID does provide/allow for a 16 year old. I saw the remark about stray ammo rolling around in the trunk of the car. That is pretty important in itself. But what CAN the 16 year old do with an FID? Would he/she for example be able to put the shotgun/shells in the trunk and drive to the local club to participate on the Junior Trap Team?

Do you just randomly spew crap without having a clue what the law actually is?

I missed that a "gift" was allowed however, I would suggest one be VERY cautious regarding a "gift" as the govt could (if it decided to be aggressive) call it a straw purchase. Easier to keep the gun in the parents name and transfer it later at age 18.

I think I have a general clue about the law, but even the best pig misses a truffle once in a while.

Whatever you do, NEVER EVER ask the police if something (wrt MA gun laws) is legal or not!!!!!!

I can't emphasis this enough. They know a lot less about the gun laws than even the lowest rookie here on NES but they do tend to make shit up to cover for their lack of knowledge . . . and it is almost always wrong.
I asked a recent grad of the police academy about the gun law training. Basically it consisted of "no LTC bad, LTC good, can't carry on school grounds" with absolutely none of the finer points.

Last edited:
I must say that this is fascinating to me. Kids with LTC's!!! I put my kids through Hunter Safety when they were 8 which allows them access to firearms which I had at about 10 with my own gun rack and ammo but there needs to be a responsible adult legally responsible for minor children and the firearms they have access to. For the most part my kids have had access to the HD collection subject to my discretion since they were 12 but they are all still "MY" guns. I can buy a gun for one of my kids but I am responsible for it till they are 18-21. I know there are a ton of poorly written laws that might allow some things to be legal from one angle but not plenty of others.

But what CAN the 16 year old do with an FID? Would he/she for example be able to put the shotgun/shells in the trunk and drive to the local club to participate on the Junior Trap Team?
A 15 year old with an FID can take a 50BMG semi auto (the Serbu and Barret use 10 round mags) to the club.

The 16 year old with an FID and a driver's license can avoid harassment for ammo in the car borrowed from a family member.

The 15-17 year old with an FID can carry pepper spray (no license required once 18).

The 15 year old with an FID can buy ammo.

Upon turning 21, the FID holder can apply for an LTC without need to produce a safety course certificate.

A 15 year old with an FID can draw straight lines up to about 3.5 inches.

Clarification on the buy ammo - I think there is a federal prohibition on under 18/21 from a dealer, but not private sales.

I asked a recent grad of the police academy about the gun law training. Basically it consisted of "no LTC bad, LTC good, can't carry on school grounds" with absolutely none of the finer points.

I wouldn't expect any different. Largely I'd be happy if LEOs are taught the 4 cardinal safety rules!! Anyone who has been around LEOs on a range or at a PD (locker room, office, etc.) knows about the "ADs" (NDs really) and sweeping others is a very usual occurrence. Numerous times I've found LEOs leave loaded guns (or those with the action closed) on the bench while people are downrange at gun clubs . . . of course at that point it is safer to leave it be than to try to clear it with people downrange. You can tell people but it just doesn't sink in.

Other questions for an FID for someone under 18:
For the training class/certificate, does it have to be the Hunter Safety class, or can it be a Firearm (handgun) Safety course of some sort offered through a private (NRA approved) instructor?

For parental consent, is there a particular form or wording required?

Any LTC MSP approved course works for anyone 15-18 getting an FID with written parental consent.

There is no special form. A letter with simple wording should work OK in 99.999% of the cities/towns in MA.

For my kids, the letter went, (more or less)

To whom it may concern

I, MisterHappy, hereby grant consent for my son, MisterHappyJr, to obtain an FID

[signature]
MisterHappy

I don't remember if it put my "credentials" on it. But, since the younger one was already an NRA Apprentice Instructor....[laugh]

G-man.

The "restricted" fid no longer is required for >18

For under 18, you still need an FID.

Application fee is $25

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129B

Their website is wrong (probably just an oversight [rolleyes]). Of course, my kid had to "educate" the local PD about the requirements and fees for his age-15 FID. MGLs, book, chapter and verse. [rolleyes]

What's that about never asking cops, or gun store guys about the laws? [rofl]

Last edited:
Any LTC MSP approved course works for anyone 15-18 getting an FID with written parental consent.

There is no special form. A letter with simple wording should work OK in 99.999% of the cities/towns in MA.

In Douglas there is a "form", but all it really is is a standardized version of MisterHappy's take on it... a line for my name, a line for my kids, date and sign... I'm sure it's not an official form, just a way of not ending up with a bunch of various pieces of oddly shaped notebook paper shredded off spiral bound notebooks to file or scan...

Back
Top Bottom