• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

12 gauge O/U

It means a lot if you're trying to break 100 in a row [smile]

If you are that good then you should be spending more money on your implement. For us mere mortals, we generally match the cost of our equipment to our general skill level. That POI shift will rarely be noticed by the average shooter.

I have 2 Huglu's that I bought several years ago that have been good for the price I paid but The B's and some others are much better.

Thinking of purchasing an O/U in 12 gauge.
Anyone have any experience with Cz (Huglu) shotguns.
Any recommendations for shotguns under $1000
28-30" barrel. For shooting clays

Get good enough that the equipment is the limiting factor and then spend the money on it. The number of people for whom equipment is the limiting factor is very small. Therefore, the number of people who would improve significantly by spending $3k+ on equipment is also very small. Is it possible that a $3k-10k shotgun will break a couple extra clays every 100? Yep. How much practice time and ammo could you get for that extra $$$ though?

When you outgrow the used Citori, you will know what you need to break that one or two clays you missed.

Unless the reason you're shooting so well is because your off and by it being off it makes you on.[smile] I remember hearing about someone that shot well with a shotgun and decided to pattern it and found out it was off.

It means a lot if you're trying to break 100 in a row [smile]

adjustable or fixed chokes? A new one with adjustable chokes cost $1200, I bought a "like new" one last year with box for $900. Damn good American Trap Singles gun

Adjustable chokes. I wasn't referring to the one in the classifieds.

Love my beretta a300 outlander. cant recommend it enough

well, I'll disagree. The Huglu shotguns are from Turkey and they are known for their excellent shotgun reputation. I've got one and it's just fine for what I use it for. If I'm going to be shooting 5000 shells a year in a trap league, probably not but for all other purposes it'll be fine. Also look at the Spartan line (owned by Remington) made in Russia. I've got a field o/w I shoot upland birds with and it's like new after 8 years. I've had nothing but supurb service from Remington, shoot an 1187 premier, and have a long story to back me up on it. I'm just hoping they stay in the states. The "B" shotguns are all cool but, frankly, it depends on the amount of shooting you plan on doing. I've got a buddy who has had to send his Browning Citori back to the factory twice, now, for repairs including a new stock! So, everyone suffers a little quality control from time to time. Chk out the Spartans. You'll love just how precision made they are.

just my 2 cents.

Rome

If you find a Blazer or a K gun for under $2K it was probably run over by a truck. What I intended to say is that the cheapest, good O/U's are Browning a Beretta base models.

Run over buy a truck and still worth 2k! Whoohoo
Sporting is a limited description.
If you want as close to a do all shotgun for all clay sports a browning Citori field is tough to beat and can be had for 1000. Will it fit you perfect. Maybe not. Will it be ideal for any clay sport, no. Will it most likely out last you...more likely yes.

If you find a Blazer or a K gun for under $2K it was probably run over by a truck. What I intended to say is that the cheapest, good O/U's are Browning a Beretta base models.

Run over buy a truck and still worth 2k! Whoohoo
Sporting is a limited description.
If you want as close to a do all shotgun for all clay sports a browning Citori field is tough to beat and can be had for 1000. Will it fit you perfect. Maybe not. Will it be ideal for any clay sport, no. Will it most likely out last you...more likely yes.

I've owned Brownings, Beretta's, Franchis, Remington CZ's, Lanbers and ATIs in O/U's in recent years. I still keep a favorite in most of those brands. ( The nes I shoot well.)
Yes, Browning and Beretta's are King (in price, lifetime retention of value and build quality). Personally, I don't see the reasoning in spending north of $1000 on your first O/U. It won't make you a better shot. IMHO, the higher end Lanbers and CZ's will get you 85-90% of that quality at 40-60% of the cost. These companies make some very nicely appointed O/U in the $700-$900 range. IF your budget is tighter, the ATIs and Remington imports will get you thousands of rounds of use for under $500. BTW, Mossbergs are everywhere but have a bad rep for quality (that I have witnessed.)
That said, don't get caught up in the snobbery that often comes with shotgun sports. The most important thing about a shotgun is FIT since there is no rear sight to line up on. Your either looking naturally down the barrel or you are not when the gun comes up. THAT has nothing to do with price.
"If it doesn't fit, you won't hit!"

Bottom line: Do some online research on fit and features before laying out cash on a gun that may not work for you.

As for qaulity, shotgunsdotcom has some pretty honest user reviews.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom