12 gauge O/U

Thinking of purchasing an O/U in 12 gauge.
Anyone have any experience with Cz (Huglu) shotguns.
Any recommendations for shotguns under $1000
28-30" barrel. For shooting clays

Last edited:
Sub 1K O/U is not worth the $ better off spending it on a good new/used Semi Auto. Beretta or Benelli stay away from the Remington unless things have changed they seemed to have problems.

If you can find an older B gun (Browning or Beretta) you would be good but you will have to look and might end up with a shorter barrel length and no screw in chokes.

Lots of threads on this

Last edited:
Buy any Over/Under as long as the manufacturer starts with a "B" (Beretta or Browning). Lower end O/U's have problems with barrel regulation (both barrels with the same point of aim). For $1K you can get a semi auto 1100 sporting new. Used Beretta and Browning can be found in the $1500-$2K range, Kitttery trading post is a great source to look

Buy any Over/Under as long as the manufacturer starts with a "B" (Beretta or Browning). Lower end O/U's have problems with barrel regulation (both barrels with the same point of aim). For $1K you can get a semi auto 1100 sporting new. Used Beretta and Browning can be found in the $1500-$2K range, Kitttery trading post is a great source to look

You can also add Blaser to the "B" list, and any that begin with "K", like Kolar or Krieghoff, LOL

You can also add Blaser to the "B" list, and any that begin with "K", like Kolar or Krieghoff, LOL

If you find a Blazer or a K gun for under $2K it was probably run over by a truck. What I intended to say is that the cheapest, good O/U's are Browning a Beretta base models.

Spend a little more for a used Citori or get a semi. Browning's Maxus is gas operated semi and one of the best. Benelli & Beretta are inertial operated semi's and have slightly more recoil but don't need to be cleaned as often. All great guns.

If your budget is $1k by used or save the extra to buy one of these new.

I recently picked up a Mossberg 930 and have been impressed but with only 1-200 rounds through, it is still early.

Semi related: Anyone estimate a good price for a used Browning BT99 12GA 34" Barrel, nonadjustable comb?

Semi related: Anyone estimate a good price for a used Browning BT99 12GA 34" Barrel, nonadjustable comb?

adjustable or fixed chokes? A new one with adjustable chokes cost $1200, I bought a "like new" one last year with box for $900. Damn good American Trap Singles gun

Well I think one sold in the classifieds that was 32" and adjustable comb, for $800

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...SE-DELETE-Browning-BT99-12-gauge-Trap-Shotgun

New they list at 1200 and 1400 from Cabelas (for a random ratio)

so 12/14 * 800 = ~ 688

Or just "its worth what someone is willing to pay"

When I was looking for a trap gun last year I would have paid $800 for it probably if it had adjustable chokes.

I saw it as well. Thought about it but want to change chokes and that cost put it over what I felt it was worth "to me".

- - - Updated - - -

I saw it as well. Thought about it but want to change chokes and that the cost of threading put it over what I felt it was worth "to me".

I've got a like new Citori Crossover Target if you're interested in blowing the budget.

[rofl]

Thats what I did. I was cruising along saying oh I won't get anything more than 1000 then 1200 then I saw the crossover target and gave the man all my cash plus more on the CC. I really like the crossover target, its a good gun.

Thinking of purchasing an O/U in 12 gauge.
Anyone have any experience with Cz (Huglu) shotguns.
Any recommendations for shotguns under $1000
28-30" barrel. For shooting clays

I bought the CZ (Huglu) Mallard for shooting trap. Only shot it during the orientation at my range last summer once (too freakin busy), but shot just as good if not better than some of the guys with more expensive guns. This was my first time ever shooting trap. Bought for well under $1000, I think $550 at Al's in derry.

Not many will agree with me here, but I've shot very well with my Mossberg Silver Reserve II over/under. Well under $1000, chrome lined bbls and lugs, etc. I added a few things like a fiber optic front sight and different chokes for short money and I have no complaints. The original M SRs had firing pin issues which gave it a very bad reputation. Mossberg did much better with the SR IIs.

If you are deadset on under 1000 either a really good deal on a citori, or a stevens 555
I will agree with the mossberg silver reserve if you find a newer one

I shoot skeet with a $300 Stoeger o/u. Goes bang every time, pellets go where I point. It's basically two tubes with a stock & trigger. Turkish guns are a bargain and very well made.

Not many will agree with me here, but I've shot very well with my Mossberg Silver Reserve II over/under. Well under $1000, chrome lined bbls and lugs, etc. I added a few things like a fiber optic front sight and different chokes for short money and I have no complaints. The original M SRs had firing pin issues which gave it a very bad reputation. Mossberg did much better with the SR IIs.

As a youth shotgun coach, I've tested 4 Mossburg Silver Reserve II's for barrel regulation by both upper and lower barrels at a target 16 yards away through a full choke. 3 of the 4 had barrels that had different points of impact, one time by 4"! The one that passed the test is still going strong after 3 seasons. Their QC or standards are not very good in my experience.

The biggest problem with sub $1000 O/U's is usually longevity.

In all likelihood, you will destroy the gun after 10 - 15 thousand rounds.

For me, that would equate to about 6-8 months shooting.

I have a Browning XS Skeet with almost 250k rounds through it and it's showing almost no signs of wear.

Besides, if you're in it for the long haul, the value of the ammo you shoot will far overshadow paying $2000 - $3000 for a quality over under.

As a youth shotgun coach, I've tested 4 Mossburg Silver Reserve II's for barrel regulation by both upper and lower barrels at a target 16 yards away through a full choke. 3 of the 4 had barrels that had different points of impact, one time by 4"! The one that passed the test is still going strong after 3 seasons. Their QC or standards are not very good in my experience.

Sooo.... Your POA-POI varied by a maximum of 4", one time, with a shotgun, at almost 40'? And ... seriously? I'm missing something.

The biggest problem with sub $1000 O/U's is usually longevity.

In all likelihood, you will destroy the gun after 10 - 15 thousand rounds.

For me, that would equate to about 6-8 months shooting.

I have a Browning XS Skeet with almost 250k rounds through it and it's showing almost no signs of wear.

Besides, if you're in it for the long haul, the value of the ammo you shoot will far overshadow paying $2000 - $3000 for a quality over under.

This is a more accurate and legitimate criticism and one that I agree with.

Sooo.... Your POA-POI varied by a maximum of 4", one time, with a shotgun, at almost 40'? And ... seriously? I'm missing something.

This is a more accurate and legitimate criticism and one that I agree with.

It means a lot if you're trying to break 100 in a row [smile]

Back
Top Bottom