1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

NH Daytime Coyote Hunting

Discussion in 'New Hampshire Laws' started by edhead35, Nov 30, 2010.

1. edhead35

edhead35 NES Member

I haven't been able to find this answer anywhere.

From the NH F&G website:

Deer hunting and night hunting of coyotes is allowed only by shotgun, muzzleloading rifle, handguns in calibers .357 Magnum, 10mm Automatic, .41 Remington, .44 Magnum, .45 Long Colt, .480 Ruger or .50 Magnum, or bow and arrow or crossbow in the following towns:

Then it names many towns. It does not say anything about daytime Coyote Hunting. If I am hiking with my concealed handgun (I have the proper license), and my hunting license, can I take a coyote with a handgun caliber, such as 9mm, .40, .45ACP, etc?

2. grady

grady New Member

NH has no closed season for coyotes statewide. The section you're referring to lists restrictions on firearms use for towns with special rules (the populated ones). You can hunt coyotes at any time during the day in any town. If you want to hunt them at night, you can only do so with written landowner permission and only between January 1 and March 31. If you're in one of the towns with special restrictions, you can hunt them in the daytime all year, or at night in the specified season, but only with the types of firearms specified.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Hunt_species/hunt_small_game.htm

Also see pages 23 and 33 of the Hunting Digest. You can view an online version of the Digest at the right sidebar at the following link:

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunting.htm

3. edhead35

edhead35 NES Member

My question is regarding the handgun calibers not time of day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

4. grady

grady New Member

Your original post, based on the title and the highlighted terms, seemed to make a point of emphasizing when you could hunt them. In any event, I thought I answered your question as to your choice of calibers. Unless you're in the towns with restrictions on type of firearm or caliber with which you can hunt, have at it with anything you've got.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  5. soloman02

soloman02 NES Member

I really don't think an NH officer is going to care that you killed a coyote if you were defending yourself from it, let alone what caliber bullet was used to kill it.

6. edhead35

edhead35 NES Member

I wrote to the F&G, but the reason I am concerned is I live in one of the special towns, and want to be sure if I shoot a coyote during the day with a carry pistol I am in the clear. Sorry for confusing my intent.

7. dixidawg

dixidawg NES Member

Do you have an NH hunting license?

8. grady

grady New Member

Here's the F&G Administrative Rule, which is more informative than the Digest:

Fis 303.06 Coyote.

(a) Coyote may be taken year round 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset by any legal method.

(b) Coyote may be taken by hunting at night in accordance with RSA 208:1-e and as follows:

(1) The open season shall be from January 1 through March 31;

(2) Artificial lights, except lights from a motor vehicle or OHRV or snowmobile, may be used to illuminate coyotes;

(3) Electronic calling devices may be used;

(4) No person shall bait coyote on ice covered public waters; and

(5) In towns restricted to weapon types pursuant to RSA 208:3, 208:3-b, and 208:3-c, only .22 caliber rimfire, shotguns, muzzleloading rifles or bow and arrow shall be permitted for the taking of coyote at night.

(c) Any person hunting coyote at night shall obtain a written landowner permit described in Fis 1102.11 for the property on which he or she takes or attempts to take coyote or when hunting coyote over bait, a permit described in Fis 1102.04 or Fis 307.04.

So, it appears that it breaks down this way: Daytime, you can take them by "any legal method." (Presumably, you would need to have a hunting license on you or be defending yourself). At night, if you are in a town where the special deer rules apply, you can only use the methods in subsection (b) above, but not the firearm calibers that are permitted for deer in those same towns. Note that all the applicable restrictions are listed in subsection (b), which applies only to night hunting. There are no qualifiers or restrictions under subsection (a) limiting the "any legal method" language.

Does this clear it up?

9. edhead35

edhead35 NES Member

Sure does. THank you.

10. grady

grady New Member

Anytime. Just one caution though - as you can see, the rule/digest/statutes rely on a lot of cross-referencing, which tends to muddy the waters. I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to tell you, because they once read the night restrictions and are applying them broadly, that shooting a coyote in the daytime with a 9mm was illegal. Not unlike the guy who once told me it was illegal to hunt deer with buckshot anywhere in the state, when it's actually allowed everywhere but 6 towns. Would hope that your friendly neighborhood F&G LEO would know better, but you never know...

11. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH Member

If you talk to a local granddad, he'll tell you that when he was a kid, there weren't any coyotes in New Hampshire. He'd be right, and lots of farmers would love to see those days again

F&G also states that "Written landowner permission filed with the local conservation officer is required to hunt coyote at night or to place bait for coyotes.". Of course if you are the resident landowner, you don't need a hunting license, and you don't need to grant yourself written permission nor file it with the local officer. Just like with deer, landowners still need to obey the relevant laws, seasons, and limits.

Between taking the hunter safety course and otherwise speaking with police and conservation officers in NH, I've gotten the impression that as long as it was safe to take the shot, they've all been of the opinion that the only good coyote is a dead coyote,

12. edhead35

edhead35 NES Member

If I am going out to hunt Coyotes, then I doubt I would bring the 9mm or 45. I would bring a gun I want to shoot a coyote with. I guess my concern was if I am to take a walk in the woods for the sake of walking, and am carrying any gun (which I always am), and I shoot them with what I have on me, that my success from killing a coyote would be short lived because I didn't use the right caliber and get my balls busted.

13. grady

grady New Member

I've gotten the exact same impression. Ask them about bears, and they're no nonsense about telling you you'd better be sure you're in danger before pulling the trigger on one (unless you're legally hunting it). Ask them about the same thing with coyotes and you tend to get the ol' "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" demeanor as they tell you the rules. Then they finish with "...but if you have feel that it's a threat..."

Kinda reminds me of the old South Park bit. As long as you tell them "It was comin' right at us!" you're probably ok with the 'yotes. The South Park defense is less likely to work on bears though.

14. grady

grady New Member

Hmmm... philosophy time... if a 'yote dies in the forest, and nobody cares... [wink]

If I'm going in deep, I carry a .44. If I'm packing lighter and not going in very far or for very long, it might be a .45. If I happen to go in the woods unexpectedly, I might have only a J-frame .38 in a front pocket. In all cases, if I can get a bead on a coyote, I won't hesitate to take a shot at him regardless of what I'm carrying.

15. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH Member

I suppose the other way to look at is, the coyotes fill a predator niche, without them, we'd need to bring back wolves.

Funny that you mention that, since one of the questions asked of the F&G officer during my class was along the lines of "There's this bear that hangs out behind the houses on my block, one of the neighbors feeds it, now the bear knocks over the garbage cans; on a moonless night I nearly walked into the bear while taking out the trash, and I'm worried about my kids...". The response was twofold:
    1. Give us a call; we will ticket your neighbor for feeding the bear.
    2. if the bear poses an immediate threat, you do what you have to do, after all, if he's coming right for you...
    [rofl]

16. GraftonNH

GraftonNH Member

In this scenario, out for a walk with a 9mm and a coyote walks past you; would edhead35 have to do anything more after shooting it? Report it, bring it to a weigh station, etc? Or is this a sss kind of situation?

17. Racenet

Racenet NES Member

It would need to be reported, so it can be tagged. Either by F&G or a local police officer. Just like when you hit a deer with your car. It needs a tag to possess it.

18. grady

grady New Member

Coyotes do not need to be tagged or reported. AFAIK, only deer, bears, moose, and turkeys have a tag/checking requirement.

19. edhead35

edhead35 NES Member

Our CO from the hunter ed course said no action need be taken except for perhaps dragging it off the beaten path so kids and sheeple don't see it and freak out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

20. Coyote33

Coyote33 Member

Skin it and tan it. Some use the brains for tanning. I hope to do that this winter.