1000yd range in New England

charliet

NES Member
There are rumors going around that the Pemi Fish and Game Club, in Holderness, NH, is planning to build a 1,000-yard range. The rumors are true.

I have two reasons for sending this e-mail to shooters in New England. One is to let you know the real story about our efforts to build this new range (rumors have a way of distorting reality), and the other is to get a sense of your interest in it. At the end of this e-mail is a request to you to answer some questions.

First a little background. The Pemi (officially known as the Pemigewasset Valley Fish and Game Club, Inc.) is a private club in central New Hampshire. It owns 330 acres, and has several rifle ranges, a trap field, an indoor range, a great archery range, and a nice club house. It runs rifle matches, cowboy and IDPA shoots, silhouette matches, summer and winter biathlons, archery events, trap shoots. We host boy scout camping. We do some hunter education, some pistol and rifle instruction, and are affiliated with the CMP. For a sleepy looking club in a sleepy part of the state, a lot goes on.

The rifle range is currently 200 yards, and over the years there has been much talk about expanding it to 300 or 600 yards. The topography makes that tough where the existing range is, though, and we’ve never gotten much past the talk stage. Over the years, too, a few people have even thought about a 1,000-yard range. That never got past the talk stage either … until about 2 years ago when one club member was inspired enough to dig up some topo maps, find a possible spot, and drag a bunch of other club members out there to scout it out. And he was right: it looked like it might actually work.

So *this* time more than talk has happened. A little over a year ago we had the space clear cut. This spring and summer we did the wetlands delineation and then had a detailed survey done. Then we solicited and received bids do to the engineering/design work that will be needed to get the various environmental permits and to solicit bids for actual range construction. And finally, I’m going to ask the club’s board to make a choice on the bids at our board meeting in early December (and to allocate money for that design work).

That’s where we are. Of course, the big expensive step is construction, and is perhaps beyond the ability of the Pemi by itself. We expect to need to raise funds from outside. To that end, we really need to know how much interest there really is out there. So, what we’re doing is polling you, NE shooters, about various aspects of the project. Call it “market research”.

If you would take some time and answer these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. The Pemi’s about 2 hours north of Boston, about 2 hours up I-93. If we ran a long-range match once a month (during the warm months!), would you make many of the matches? Would you come to 2 a month?
2. Would you prefer 1-day matches or 2-day matches?
3. We’re looking into electronic targets. As expensive as they are, that would save us the expense of building target carriers and putting in pits. Also, it would eliminate pit changes and the need to pull targets (or pay for target pullers). It would also eliminate the need to move back to each new distance (600, 800, 900, 1,000). There MAY be some loss of accuracy, and there may be some technical glitches from time to time. In your mind, would this be a good trade off? Would you be willing to pay a little more per match to avoid having to pull targets?
4. Would you be willing to make a contribution (not now, but when we get the permits) to the range’s construction costs whether as an outright gift or in the form of pre-paid membership fees or pre-paid match fees? What would be fair in your mind?
5. Do you know any die-hard shooters who just won the lottery? No? yeah, me neither. Do you have ideas about companies that might be worth approaching for donations?

I’d be eager to hear any other thoughts you have on this project. Thanks for your time.

Oh, one last request: please spread the word. This note is going to a hodge-podge of e-mail lists, but I’m certain not to all the long-range shooters in New England. Thanks.

Randy Enger, president, Pemi Fish and Game

1. The Pemi’s about 2 hours north of Boston, about 2 hours up I-93. If we ran a long-range match once a month (during the warm months!), would you make many of the matches? Would you come to 2 a month?

Once a month, definitely. Twice possibly. Really would depend on the schedules at Reading and Nashua and potential carpooling possibilities.

Mostly one-day with maybe a couple of two-day matches mixed in over the summer.

3. We’re looking into electronic targets. As expensive as they are, that would save us the expense of building target carriers and putting in pits. Also, it would eliminate pit changes and the need to pull targets (or pay for target pullers). It would also eliminate the need to move back to each new distance (600, 800, 900, 1,000). There MAY be some loss of accuracy, and there may be some technical glitches from time to time. In your mind, would this be a good trade off? Would you be willing to pay a little more per match to avoid having to pull targets?

Awesome. As long as they worked properly I would certainly pay extra for that.

4. Would you be willing to make a contribution (not now, but when we get the permits) to the range’s construction costs whether as an outright gift or in the form of pre-paid membership fees or pre-paid match fees? What would be fair in your mind?

Yes.

5. Do you know any die-hard shooters who just won the lottery? No? yeah, me neither. Do you have ideas about companies that might be worth approaching for donations?

I heard Cabella's sponsored Scarborough. Maybe they (or one of their competitors) would help out here? LL Bean, Dick's, something like that. Or maybe Bushmaster or Colt would buy the naming rights? ("The Bushmaster 1000 at Pemi." Nice ring to it.)

Very nice. I'll try and send Randy an e-mail directly. After that I'll work on the wife to relocate to central NH.

B

1) Yes. When living in CA I used to drive 3hrs to get to a 1,000yrd range.
2) 1 day matches. I'm a busy dad.
3) Low tech wins my vote. Pits will probably cost less in the long haul, and people already know what to do. Less arguing over glitches/errors during matches too.
4) No...well, maybe.
5) No

After not finding any plce to drive to with ranges more then 200 yards I looked in my own area. We have blueberry land that has miles of open range. One of the plots I own up on rt 9 turned out to have a very nice almost two mile open area. We have had several private shoots out there along with a few 50 caliber days where we towed up a few just cars and trucks. After research we decided it was just to expensive to open it to the public. Insurance alone made it prohibitive for us.

If you make a survey, you'll get a lot more participation.

I don't shoot matches and it's too far for me to drive (2 hrs) to join or donate but I'd pay to use the range on a per day basis. $25 to $30 would be my day price range, but it really depends on what's offered. That probably seems like a pittance to offset construction costs but it might attract some income that wouldn't join otherwise. Or, if there were classes paying to use the range that would be ideal because I have zero experience shooting beyond 100 yds and would love to take a class.

Last edited:
I'd love to. However, it's quite a drive I only really make it to my 200 yd club a handful of times per year as is. I am going more and more tho and my lady has taken an interest in shooting too so this will help.
Membership cost will/may also be key for myself and others I would imagine. Day passes perhaps? Don't know the legalities of that question tho...
This would totally be an reason (excuse [wink] ) to get a 338 Laupa or a 50 for sure. I would go in half with my bro whos been nixing the idea of a 50 due to no reasonable place to shoot vs cost. [smile]

Difinitely would be an excellent idea to contact a manufacture like Jasons suggested, i.e.
The Barrett 1000 @ Pemi seems like more than a pipe dream. 338 Lupa manufacturer options as well.

I DO really like this idea, keep going!

I would be interested, but likely not in organized matches, but rather in the category of someone who would be willing to pay to be a member of a club with a range like that. And I would probably make the drive once or twice per month. If you manage to get a 1000 yard range built and are willing to open membership, I bet you will find there is quite a bit of money in the New England shooting community that would come your way. We have almost no choices as it is.

Once a month

I have never done a match but would like instruction on long range shooting. I would love to take a class and would be a member just to use the range.

Awesome. As long as they worked properly I would certainly pay extra for that.

Yes...Pre-Paid Membership

SIG? Kittery Trading Post? Yankee Hill? Remsport?

Last edited:
i would sign up for a yearly membership with hopes of catching a class or two / shoot or two per year.

as for your questions:

probably bi-annually. my current club suits most of my needs. up to 300yd shooting, action pits ect
n/a - i would be open minded to some "intro" type classes to NRA Hi-power or Service Rifle type matches. -i am limited my calibers at the moment [laugh]
i can not answer this one from a technical aspect. i'd rather walk down and get some PT in vs. an electronic system...
i am willing to sign up as a memeber of your club, with hopes to shoot at distances greater than 400 yards, 2 to 3 times a year. maybe get some informal instruction and matches.
no

A range with electronic targets is a GODSEND.

F pity duty. Seriously. Those who like it either haven't done it enough or are just sick.

I'd drive every freaking weekend to a 600 - 1000 yd range with Sius-Ascor or other similar target system.

For those of you who have said no to NRA long range matches and have never participated in one, open your mind. Playing in that sandbox will take your rifle marksmanship to a completely new level.

1: I'd hope to make a couple a year. Between Appleseed, Pistol, and being On Call, more often that that would be hard.
2: Not too picky.
3: A good trade off. I'd pay extra.
4: Pre-paid membership/match fees would be fine by me.
5: Barret and Larue might be up for it, and CheyTac probably stands to make some cash from an increase in people wanting to shoot at 1k+ yards.

3) Low tech wins my vote. Pits will probably cost less in the long haul, and people already know what to do. Less arguing over glitches/errors during matches too.

I just don't understand this.

Electronic targets have been proven in Europe for decades both in covered and exposed firing lines.

They are more reliable than GD pits. How many times I've had to suffer through wind shifts waiting for some dumbass to get his shit together and service my target properly? Too many. I'll take an odd e-glitch every now and then than you very much.

As to whether people not knowing what to do, some people need to get with the f-ing times.

On top of all that, if you are a club member now you can just drive up solo, set up your target and monitor, and get to shooting with immediate feedback.

I am stunned that there is any resistance to this at all........

600yd%20target%20Bisley%2004.jpg

NMM2%20screen%20detail.JPG

Screw old school

The nice thing about electronic targets is that you can actually spend some time socializing at a match and not running back and forth with pit changes. I remember when Reading use to have paid pullers. It was a lot more enjoyable day. The other nice thing is that if you are shooting when there is no match, you don't need two people and you can do twice the shooting in an afternoon.

I vote for e-targets any day.

B

...For those of you who have said no to NRA long range matches and have never participated in one, open your mind. Playing in that sandbox will take your rifle marksmanship to a completely new level.

I would love to try a match but right now I couldn't hit a house at 1000 yds. Hence the desire for instruction. NES Long Range Class?

I would join as long as it's also possible to practice on the range during non-matches relatively painlessly.

Currently driving 3.5 hrs one way from Boston twice a month to shoot at 500. Schlepping up and down a mountain to see where the holes are is a big PITA. Electronic targets would be the bomb.

And as long as I'm talking to a magic genie, one firing line with multiple target lines is a lot nicer than one target line with multiple firing lines.

Crack, why are you going so far? Reading, Nashua and Scarborough are all an easy early morning drive from Beantown.

B

What's the farthest you can shoot with 3 MOA accuracy? Be honest.

Hi Jose - My range only goes to 100 so that is the farthest I have ever shot. I can shoot under 3 MOA at that range. I am a total newb but very interested in learning the skills of a precision shooter. Picked up a SAKO T-22 so this would be ideal (now saving for glass). I am serious when asking about a NES Medium to Long Range class. Willing to pay for it if it is a good one.

Hi Jose - My range only goes to 100 so that is the farthest I have ever shot. I can shoot under 3 MOA at that range. I am a total newb but very interested in learning the skills of a precision shooter. Picked up a SAKO T-22 so this would be ideal (now saving for glass). I am serious when asking about a NES Medium to Long Range class. Willing to pay for it if it is a good one.

If your 3 MOA is from a bench, then I agree with jasons that you should take a CMP clinic.

This is great I just wish you were closer. This would probably be about 6 hours round trip for me but I would definetly try to make it up there as often as I could for a 1000 yd. range.

1) Probably could only make one a month if that. I work every other weekend.
2) In most cases a one day but occasionally a 2 day.
3) Electronic targets as long as they are of very high quality.
4) Pre-paid membership or pre-paid range usage fees since I may not be able to shoot matches due to my work schedule and I would need training and practice at these long distances but would like to be able to use the range whenever I am able to.
5) No, not yet but we are working on it through the lottery group buy. Savage may be a potential sponser for this along with the others that have been mentioned.

Thank you for contacting us. This will be great to have.

why are you going so far?

I figured that question was coming. They have steel at all the distances that you can shoot from one covered firing line, and I had friends who were already there. [smile]

I figured that question was coming. They have steel at all the distances that you can shoot from one covered firing line, and I had friends who were already there. [smile]

I think the reason that steel is so popular out west is just what you said. You can shoot from one firing line. Sounds like an enjoyable time without having to pull and divide a day of shooting into one half pulling the other half shooting.

B

My wife's cousin lives literally just down the street in Holderness, so yeah, count me in for attending matches. If all ranges had electronic targets, you'd be done by noon-time at the latest.

Back
Top Bottom