10/22 accuracy expectations

ok, I've had my 10/22 for two weeks and I'm already screwing with it!

I've bought a Clarke Custom drop in trigger kit:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=269423

Before I start going crazy trying to squeeze out every last bit of accuracy, I'm wondering what I should expect out of my stock 10/22.

I've been shooting it at 100yds. I'm getting rather large groups from the bench rest (roughly 5' groups) with a smaller "sub group" (1.5"). Is this unreasonable? I know some of that variation has to do with the notchy trigger. Some of it is just me.

If I really went to town and fully tricked it out, what would be a reasonable expectation for 100yds?

Thanks,
Matt

From what I've read, the trigger replacement and replacing the barrel are the two best things you can do. I haven't had the time to do either to mine yet, so I'm interested in a range report with your new trigger [wink]

Do you get similar results at 100yds?

BTW, I've got the standard 18" Carbine. Not a bull barrel.

I just pulled out the whole trigger group and pulled every pin. It was a bit of a trick to get back together without a diagram, but I managed it without too much trouble. Less than one hour to fully detail strip, clean (it was filthy) and reassemble.

I'm now fully confident I can do anything I want to this rifle (trigger, barrel, etc) that $$ allows. It is so easy to pull apart.

Matt

I never have thought of shooting my 10/22 at 100 yards, I will have to give it a 'shot'.

Next bang for the buck would have to be a Green Mountain 10/22 bull barrel [rockon]

You can spend hundreds of dollars and get a tack driving masterpiece at 100 yards, or you can get lucky and buy a few cheap add ons and get great results that satisfy your shooting needs. It all comes down to you.
I've heard many people say "The gun shoots better than I do"
For me it was replacing every little affordable part that I could and still keep from putting more money into the rifle than what it was originally worth. Unfortunately with a 10/22 thats nearly impossible and at best you can break even in spending.
Barrel is the first step, & the stock is next. After that some will say the trigger group but I disagree and think that a quality mount, set of rings, and good scope are in order before you start worrying about trigger work. Next best bet is quality .22 ammo like Wolf.

This scope was rated as one of the best buys from the folks at rimfirecentral: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=354554
Its what I plan on putting on my target rifle.

I can already punch a ragged 1/4 inch hole all day long at 50 yards with a Choate sniper style stock and bottom line Butler Creek heavy barrel with a BSA Catseye scope and Warne rings. I can only imagine what the Mueller scope will help me do at 100 yards.

You'll never get the same accuracy as you will with a round like the 17hmr because after all its just a .22.
But with the right set up and by adding on untill you achieve the results you want, you can definitely group well enough to enter a .22 100 yard egg shoot and come out on top with the right equipment.

What kind of accuracy are you getting at 50 yards? I also never thought of shooting a .22lr at 100 yards.

-Cuz.

I have a mueller apv on my 10/22, and with the stock barrel I can put 5 shots in a hole that can be covered by a nickle at 50 yards. Trigger work is the next step, but I'd stop there, I just can't justify a new barrel. And I only shoot at 50 yds, I don't really think a .22lr shoot be expected to shoot ragged holes at 100yds, ymmv.

What kind of accuracy are you getting at 50 yards? I also never thought of shooting a .22lr at 100 yards.

-Cuz.

[laugh] Never occured to me to shoot at anything but the 100yd line!

I have a mueller apv on my 10/22, and with the stock barrel I can put 5 shots in a hole that can be covered by a nickle at 50 yards. Trigger work is the next step, but I'd stop there, I just can't justify a new barrel. And I only shoot at 50 yds, I don't really think a .22lr shoot be expected to shoot ragged holes at 100yds, ymmv.

No, I don't expect a raged hole, but I'm just wondering what is a reasonable expectation.

The main issue is the shots are not landing where I think they should and there is a fair amount of inconsistancy, but maybe that's just because I'm shooting .22LR at too long a distance. Or maybe there is something inconsistant in my rifle.

I did find that the takedown screw was loose when I took it apart last night. That probably doesn't help!

When I put my Tech-Sights on and dialed it in quickly at 50 yards a few weeks ago, the accuracy of the rifle "increased" dramatically. The stock sights are a real impediment, IMO. I need to go back and tweak it in for 100 yards. After I finished at 50, I went over to 100 yards briefly and was using an 8" paper plate for a target and bench resting. I was pissed at first because through the scope I didn't get one hit on paper for about 50 ounds sent down range. Then, when I walked up I saw them all in a nice neat grouping 4" directly under the plate and slightly left.

I did find that the takedown screw was loose when I took it apart last night. That probably doesn't help!
There's your problem right there. At the Appleseed shoot two weeks ago, I noticed my niece's rifle's action moving slightly at each shot during the ball & dummy drill. Found that the takedown screw was loose and tightened it up; groups went from 5-6" at 25m to below 2"... for a shooter who'd just started shooting that rifle the morning before. We also noticed the very same effect on another shooter using a stock 10/22 with HIS takedown screw loose.

I've seen a Allen socket replacement takedown screw; if you're seriously trying to wring out all the performance you can, you could get that and a small torque wrench so that you can always torque the screw to the exact same settings.

It all started with the burning desire to shoot tree rats that had taken up residence in my soffit. I purchased one 10/22 carbine but that wasn't accurate enough. I then purchased Tom-P's 10/22T but that wasn't accurate enough ( .5" to 1" at 50 yards). Along the way I started "squirreling" away parts, mods, and upgrades until the spare parts box was full. Rifle number 3 was born. Now I can shoot the eye [devil] (literally depending on ammo and elements) out of a tree rat at approximately 40 yrds. and send their little wood chewing souls to hell where they belong!!
Unfortunately I have no more tree rats left to shoot [frown]. Here kitty, kitty, kitty! [rofl]

50 yrd. 10 round groups using Federal Hollow Point anti tree rat Bulk pack ammo.

40 yrd. using Federal Champion Target bulk ammo. 5rd. groups.

It's a Bell and Carlson Anschutz stock. I purchased it at shootersdiscount.com.
Back to the original topic: What are you planning to do with your 10/22 at 100 yards? I have shot my 10/22T out to 100 yards and 3" groups weren't uncommon, even with bulk ammo. I have yet to attempt it with my latest build.

It's a Bell and Carlson Anschutz stock. I purchased it at shootersdiscount.com.
Back to the original topic: What are you planning to do with your 10/22 at 100 yards? I have shot my 10/22T out to 100 yards and 3" groups weren't uncommon, even with bulk ammo. I have yet to attempt it with my latest build.

I have no particular purpose other than punching holes, really!

Today I was at the range with a set of 6" diameter plates at 100yds and hit 99% of the time. This is better than before I tightened the retention screw. And I'm sure a good part of the variation is me since I'm a new rifle shooter.

I guess I'm just wondering what is a reasonable expectation. For instance if my rifle was shooting much better/worse than average, I might change my approach to modifying it.

BTW, I love that stock.

Thanks,
Matt

Back
Top Bottom