03 FFL ?

Disclaimer - I don't live in Mass (does anyone there really live?).

Len, I remember it as slung shots, but this section mentions both?

As I read it you can purchase or own any of these, but you can't manufacture them. Other laws probably limit carrying, like the "pistol" cane.

The way the weasels worded it, who actually knows what it means...
They can always prosecute under "other weapons" in MGL C. 269 S. 10 . . . that allows them to claim that a fist, shoe, rolled-up newspaper, etc. is a weapon.

I don't recall seeing "sling shot" listed previously. That said, an inquiry many years ago yielded a response that the legislature can make "administrative" corrections in the law without hearings/bills/etc. So I suspect someone piped up that slung shots also meant sling shots, so let's add it without telling anyone.

I remember visiting Dick's in Attleboro back when C-pher worked there. They definitely had sling shots and accessories for sale on their shelves, as I gave it some thought but didn't buy them.

They can always prosecute under "other weapons" in MGL C. 269 S. 10 . . . that allows them to claim that a fist, shoe, rolled-up newspaper, etc. is a weapon.

I don't recall seeing "sling shot" listed previously. That said, an inquiry many years ago yielded a response that the legislature can make "administrative" corrections in the law without hearings/bills/etc. So I suspect someone piped up that slung shots also meant sling shots, so let's add it without telling anyone.

I remember visiting Dick's in Attleboro back when C-pher worked there. They definitely had sling shots and accessories for sale on their shelves, as I gave it some thought but didn't buy them.

That's a little bit frightening. And that is NOT me being a wisea**.

Ok, who cares about sling shots other than kids (for the most part - it would be fun to play with one some afternoon) but tweaking a word here and there can dramatically change how a law works.

ETA: I also remember it as slung shot, not "both" because there was a spirited discussion hereabouts on what the actual hell it WAS (a slung shot). I feel as though the discussion would have been different. But then again, it's a rando discussion thread from years ago.

Ok i can see this took a wrong turn, do i dare ask where i could find MA related C&R laws? Checked out mgl 140 121-131
There really aren't any. The C&R is federal and MA really doesn't recognize the C&R FFL. Allegedly dealers can now transfer off-list handguns that are C&R to a C&R FFL but I'll bet very few are willing to do so.

I'm waiting on mine. My CC rejected the $30 charge so there was a delay, but thankfully they just set my application aside and sent a letter suggesting I mail a check, instead of tossing the application and making me start over.

I am thinking about getting mine again but am curious if the 03ffl will open those of us in Mass up to the inspections that Maura is training local LEOs for.

Hmmm... they cashed my check several weeks ago, but haven't gotten my renewal back yet.

In other words, no different from anything else in this pathetic state. :(
The only reason MA dealers can be inspected is because they are licensed by the state for sales to MA residents. (I forget the actual wording). 03 FFL’s aren’t licensed by the state so only the ATF has jurisdiction over them.

As Len-2a indicated, doesn’t mean they can’t harass you from the state, but they are more likely to have the ATF visit you. But, considering they had to call in the super special investigation squad to inspect 80 dealers at the mill, visiting tge 1000’s of 03 FFL’s in the state would not be feasible. The last statistic I heard was that they only inspect 3-4 03 FFL’s per year and that’s generally due to some instance where they are doing a trace.

The only reason MA dealers can be inspected is because they are licensed by the state for sales to MA residents. (I forget the actual wording). 03 FFL’s aren’t licensed by the state so only the ATF has jurisdiction over them.
I think we are talking two different things here. One is the state's mandate that dealers be inspected periodically. The other one (the brand new one) is the new Attorney General's declared war on "gun hoarders" wherein she wants each MA town's CoP to inspect the homes of "gun hoarders"... a term she uses which is yet to be defined. One can probably assume that 03 FFLs will be considered de facto "gun hoarders" whether they own 10 guns or hundreds of guns.
As Len-2a indicated, doesn’t mean they can’t harass you from the state, but they are more likely to have the ATF visit you.
I don't think the ATF cares a hoot about our new Attorney General's declared war on "gun hoarders."
But, considering they had to call in the super special investigation squad to inspect 80 dealers at the mill, visiting the 1000’s of 03 FFL’s in the state would not be feasible. The last statistic I heard was that they only inspect 3-4 03 FFL’s per year and that’s generally due to some instance where they are doing a trace.
Yeah, that was all for show. It likely made the Littleton Karens and the Boston Globe DimocRAT hit piece lady happy... not much else.

I was more concerned about the issue Len commented on about her inspections of dealers. I wasn’t sure if it was FFL triggered but hearing Len state it’s just dealers that the inspections are about clears up my concerns. Il

So as a C&R am I supposed to only collect a "few" guns to not upset the libtards? As I understand the local police have not authority to "inspect" my 03 collection without a warrant, only the ATF, or did i miss something. And technically is an 03 considered a "dealer"?

So as a C&R am I supposed to only collect a "few" guns to not upset the libtards? As I understand the local police have not authority to "inspect" my 03 collection without a warrant, only the ATF, or did i miss something. And technically is an 03 considered a "dealer"?
An 03 specifically prohibits you from acting as a dealer!!!

i have a gut feel that for any reloader an 03 and 06 ffl will become a necessity in a very nearby future. as 50yr old guns now grow into quite a list and new ones will be more and more prohibitive to obtain, so, it would probably make sense to jump on that bandwagon the faster the better while it is still relatively non-problematic to obtain.

Back
Top Bottom