• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Youth FID - both parents?

I am being told by my home PD that to get my kids' FID, Both parents have to physically appear and sign. I explained that I am divorced and have full 100% legal custody of my children, their "father" hasn't even seen them in 6 years. PD says doesn't matter, chief will not make exception to this.
Spoke briefly with Stephen Burke (gun lawyer) who said he's never heard of that and would look into it and get back to me, which he hasn't. But he also said they have to take gun safety class in addition to basic hunters ed, which I know is not true.
I'm at a loss - advice??

Last edited:
it sounds like something your chief is making up. There are plenty of circumstances where there is only one parent, adoption, widow/widower, divorce, never married, etc.

It is written both parents; however being divorced and having 100% custody.
Your approval / letter should suffice. As for the firearm safety class; I always recommend it.
Plus the safety class / certificate (if he takes an approved pistol one) He could use that same certificate for his LTC once he turns 21.

So, if your former spouse was dead or in prison, your kid couldn't get an FID card?

The FID doesn't really allow of chief imposed restrictions. The real question here is: "Does someone have the right to submit an application?" It's clear that the chief as the authority in certain circumstances to deny an application, but does he/she have the authority to prevent people from applying?

If you're the custodial parent, I'm assuming you have a court order to that effect. That should suffice.

Your approval / letter should suffice. As for the firearm safety class; I always recommend it.
Plus the safety class / certificate (if he takes an approved pistol one) He could use that same certificate for his LTC once he turns 21.
It says A parent:

") is at the time of the application more than 14 but less than 18 years of age, unless the applicant submits with the application a certificate of a parent or guardian granting the applicant permission to apply for a card;"

Section 129B

So, if your former spouse was dead or in prison, your kid couldn't get an FID card?

The FID doesn't really allow of chief imposed restrictions. The real question here is: "Does someone have the right to submit an application?" It's clear that the chief as the authority in certain circumstances to deny an application, but does he/she have the authority to prevent people from applying?

If you're the custodial parent, I'm assuming you have a court order to that effect. That should suffice.
That's my feeling. I do have the court order

Could have sworn it said parent(s); I could be wrong. But as I stated, being divorced and having 100% custody (singular) should suffice.

Yes they can apply at 14, but receive it at 15. My son was 14 when he applied and 15 when he received it.

Also it is $25 for an FID card for anyone under 18, not $100!

I'd contact Comm2a for further advice on moving forward. About us - Commonwealth Second Amendment, Inc. (comm2a.org)

Also I do intend on getting them the firearm safety course, but it's not legally required for the FID, right?

Could have sworn it said parent(s); I could be wrong. But as I stated, being divorced and having 100% custody (singular) should suffice.

Yes they can apply at 14, but receive it at 15. My son was 14 when he applied and 15 when he received it.

Also it is $25 for an FID card for anyone under 18, not $100!

I'd contact Comm2a for further advice on moving forward. About us - Commonwealth Second Amendment, Inc. (comm2a.org)
I am in communication with a member, thanks!

Also I do intend on getting them the firearm safety course, but it's not legally required for the FID, right?
A course is legally required and the way some Hunter Ed courses are given (like the one I took), I fully understand why some chiefs refuse to accept them in spite of the law stating that they are acceptable.

The laws can be confusing. The reason I recommend a pistol course/certificate is the minor can use the same certificate for the LTC once they turn 21.
Legally Hunter Ed is acceptable for LTC as well per MGL. Problem is that some HE courses nobody touches a firearm, no loading/unloading/handling and so the lecture course is a poor way to teach a new shooter anything about guns or gun safety. The one I took a handful of years ago was given in Norwood and was pathetic and full of incorrect (some felony level) legal info as the EPO they sent admitted he knew nothing about gun laws. There were 42 people in my class, which makes individual handling of guns a real challenge to keep on schedule.

I have seen another HE course that I observed for a while at one of my gun clubs given by a young lady who was phenomenal. And I'm confident that MisterHappy here on NES gives a proper course as well. Others I'm not so sure about.

Legally Hunter Ed is acceptable for LTC as well per MGL. Problem is that some HE courses nobody touches a firearm, no loading/unloading/handling and so the lecture course is a poor way to teach a new shooter anything about guns or gun safety.

When I took the safety class given by my local police department, we didn't touch a firearm, no loading/unloading, and was basically a power point presentation. They handed me my LTC and sent me on my way.

I am being told by my home PD that to get my kids' FID, Both parents have to physically appear and sign.
When my kid got her FID at age 15, all it took was a signed letter from her mother (no appearance by mother, I went with her). I married into the family I have a different last name, so it was simplest to have the mother's signature. There was no "personal appearance" and the PD didn't even ask my kid for ID. But, they did want her SS# (we chose not to fight that battle) which we did not have. Needless to say the call from the kid to her mother to get that info that started with "I'm at the police station...." caused a momentary blood pressure spike.

MGL 140 sec 129B, context is you are prohibited if

(v) is at the time of the application more than 14 but less than 18 years of age, unless the applicant submits with the application a certificate of a parent or guardian granting the applicant permission to apply for a card;

So it is very clear "A parent or guardian", emphasis is mine

When I took the safety class given by my local police department, we didn't touch a firearm, no loading/unloading, and was basically a power point presentation. They handed me my LTC and sent me on my way.
I'll bet that was the course Glidden wrote for MCOPA. I've really never looked at that course to see what they cover or not. I stick to NRA HFS Enhanced with live fire of pistols, revolver and 3 rifles (.22LR, .223 and 7.62x39) when I teach students.

Northfamingham - thanks for the vote of confidence! [laugh]

When I do a HE course (I'm a spear carrier, not the star of the opera) I tell everyone that while the HE card is good for the FID/LTC if you don't have a hands-on mentor, go take a live-fire course.

My kids got their FIDs on the HE card, and I was fine with that.

Also, they should be able to get their LTCs off the HE card, per MGLs. We'll see in a few months, with the older one.

I am being told by my home PD that to get my kids' FID, Both parents have to physically appear and sign. I explained that I am divorced and have full 100% legal custody of my children, their "father" hasn't even seen them in 6 years. PD says doesn't matter, chief will not make exception to this.
Spoke briefly with Stephen Burke (gun lawyer) who said he's never heard of that and would look into it and get back to me, which he hasn't. But he also said they have to take gun safety class in addition to basic hunters ed, which I know is not true.
I'm at a loss - advice??
Your chief is full of shit. I got my son his fid last year and only I was there.

Phrasing? Why are we not doing phrasing?
i2yYun3.gif

Both my children received their FID with the hunter ed cert and a letter from me only.

You mentoring the kids is going to be a lot more useful than any course anyhow

Back
Top Bottom