• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your local neighborhood survival expert - Cruising Sailors

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
I had breakfast with some cruising sailors last week and I was just blown away at the level of knowledge and preparation they had - which they considered "normal."

A cruising sailboat these days needs a means of storing fuel, water, and food for 3 days to 3 weeks. They usually have small diesel engines, and often have generators, battery banks, and solar power. They need all the tools to keep that stuff running in a marine environment, and the knowledge to do so - right down to repairing sails. If they do need help, they often have to pay cash for it, and defending the boat from piracy is routine in the Caribbean.

Then we got onto first aid - they know that it will be hours at best and days at worst to receive any medical attention. They need to be able to navigate, day and night and in bad weather.

Their houses (one in MA, one in Maine) were similarly well-equipped. Generators, tools, supplies - all squared away.

I've found so many "preppers" that seem to have an emphasis on one area to the neglect of others. They have a 10 year supply of food, guns, money, gold, or whatever, but shortcomings in other areas. These folks were experienced in and enjoyed living an environment that many others would consider a hardship at best and emergency at worst.

The problem with prepping, is that if all goes well, you'll never have to see if you did it right.

This is why Irene was a good "test" for many.

A cruising sailor does not "prep" in case there's trouble.....s/he preps because they KNOW there will be trouble. And that 911 is a theory, out in the briney deeps.

Personally, I'd say that a "basic prepper" should pull the main breaker on a more-or-less randomly selected winter day, preferably with crap weather, and keep it off for two days, minimum. This will give a reality check of lighting, heating and water supply without being a "real" SHTF. No planning ahead and making sure that there's extra fuel, or beer, or stove pellets, or whatever.

Things like no dishwasher, washing machine, or garbage disposal, and possibly hot water, will make an impact. After Irene my "preps" ( though by most standards, I'd not consider myself a prepper) showed some holes....one being that I was one of the better-prepared people in my neighborhood. If it were a severe winter storm, with a multi-day outage of power, there is a significant chance that we'd have the option of entertaining cold guests around our stove.

This is what needs to be factored in, too.....

garandman...thanks for the post. It helps alter my approach towards prepping.

I reflect here on the book, Sensible Cruising. It's a classic for small boat cruisers by Don Casey that is structured around the tenets expressed in Thoreau's, Waldon. Like Waldon, Sensible Cruising is a study in essential living, just like good prepping, yes?

http://www.amazon.com/Sensible-Crui...=1349996966&sr=8-1&keywords=sensible+cruising

Best, CrushItLikeQuint

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom