• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

your bug out BAG

How far do you need to go? Do you have stuff stocked at your destination? If you are only going a short distance than that is probably too big. If you are talking a couple of hundred miles than it is probably good. Is this to get you home or will you have to live out of it for a long time? Another thing to think about is will it work with tac gear. I cant imagine you bugging out without a good chunk of the arsenal so that may be an issue.

The one I use most often is a daypack. I only have 20 miles to go to get home. I just have things like spare socks, a fleece, water, a hat and some snacks in it. No firearms at work so no gun. That is just to get me home where most of my stuff is. If we are on vacation I take that and another bag with additional stuff for the kids and the boss. Usually have a firearm then. For bugging out from home we have stuff in totes that can be thrown into the truck or car and we are off.

I have something similarly sized at home.

Unfortunately all the goodies for it are scattered about the house, and will need packing if (or is that when) I decide bugging out on foot is imminent.

That pack-out will probably start with the collection of survival related goodies I keep in the bag I carry just about everywhere.

Depends on the situation. I have a GOOD bag in the car that can break down to smaller ruck.

I have a BOB in the house (for me and wife) to use if the POV is down.

I'd say whatever you have is good for you. We all have different criteria, experience, physical limitations,etc. Use what's good for you. [smile]

My stuff is graduated , like different levels of Bob-ness.

I always have a cell phone , wallet , knife , & handgun on my belt & pockets.

I have a smallish BOB , which is more of a Get-Home-Bag. Was something else but now its a maxpedition Saber cat :

DCP_3280.jpg

But if the Obama pod people riot it could serve as a fighting aid .....

DCP_3292.jpg

My actual BOB is a lot bigger , and sort of never finished - but changes slowly over time , kind of like a hobby. ... This is one of the semi recent incarnations - the bag is a 3day assault pack from Surplus store

DCP_3249.jpg

There are also a few of those big plastic storage bins ( BOBPSB's ? ) with real camping gear like a tent , pots & pans , lanterns , ...

The Bags & bins go in here :

DCP_3160.jpg

Seems a little paranoid ... but , what the hell. It's fun , and i actually use most of the stuff for weekend fun that involves swimming and eating and shooting and napping. Hardly ever use it when the End of the World stuff happens ....

hey guys...i was just wondering what bag you actually use for you BOB...i was wondering if this was a good bag or if it was too big

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...00248&cat4=1098&shop_method=pp&feat=500248-tn

Depends on your situation. I think most BOBs should be for a 72-hour outage. If you plan on carrying for a child or a wife/girlfriend, then this should be appropriate.

Best strategy is to lay out what exactly you will take, and then pack from there.

(Sorry for the dead thread bump, but I was doing research on this very topic, and I'd thought I'd share). [wink]

A good pair of survival packs are my next project, in tandem with plenty of loaded mags of course [wink]

Would anyone suggest a local retailer to go check out packs first hand? I'm on the upper North Shore, so KTP isn't an issue... might check them out this weekend.

My stuff is graduated , like different levels of Bob-ness.

I always have a cell phone , wallet , knife , & handgun on my belt & pockets.

I have a smallish BOB , which is more of a Get-Home-Bag. Was something else but now its a maxpedition Saber cat :

DCP_3280.jpg

But if the Obama pod people riot it could serve as a fighting aid .....

DCP_3292.jpg

My actual BOB is a lot bigger , and sort of never finished - but changes slowly over time , kind of like a hobby. ... This is one of the semi recent incarnations - the bag is a 3day assault pack from Surplus store

DCP_3249.jpg

There are also a few of those big plastic storage bins ( BOBPSB's ? ) with real camping gear like a tent , pots & pans , lanterns , ...

The Bags & bins go in here :

DCP_3160.jpg

Seems a little paranoid ... but , what the hell. It's fun , and i actually use most of the stuff for weekend fun that involves swimming and eating and shooting and napping. Hardly ever use it when the End of the World stuff happens ....

Hey pick me up on your way out of dodge.

Found out my wife has a Bug Out Bag at work. I'll give her credit for thinking this up on her own. She works in Boston and has put a bag together to help her get home from Boston if SHTF. Water, hand held GPS, energy bars, flashlight, Maps, Cash, a couple of MRE's my son brought home from the service, walking shoes, spare clothes, rain gear, portable radio, batteries, Pepper spray, and knife.

Back
Top Bottom