• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yet another registration question

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I'm considering a move out of state. Not that I'll care, but what does the state of Massachusetts do with all of my FA-10/registration info? Is there any kind of notification required of me?

I'm considering a move out of state. Not that I'll care, but what does the state of Massachusetts do with all of my FA-10/registration info? Is there any kind of notification required of me?

I don't think theres any facility to record guns that have gone "out of
the system" so to speak nor does the state really care. One wonderful
side effect of the dumb MA registration system is guns never really disappear
from your "profile" with the state. EG, apparently there is a way you can
send a notarized letter to someplace and get a list of all the registered guns
in your name....(CHSB.. or was it MSP, I forget) and apparently people have done this,
and they still see old crap that they transfered to another MA resident or MA ffl on this
list output. From what I've heard its possible for the same gun to show
up dozens of times in the "system" across different people. I bet its some
sort of a relational database.

-Mike

The info "lives forever".

No guns are ever "unregistered" from you for any reason that I can see.

The system was never designed to be accurate or terribly useful. It was a way to build an empire for some bureaucrats.

Welcome to the Matrix where all is forever known [smile].

All kidding aside... who really knows what happens with that info? And I doubt you or anyone else would get an authoritative or binding legal answer from the GCAB, AG or EOPS.

If you have any "off-list" handguns that were registered here pre-98 and the paperwork to prove it, keep the forms in the event you ever decide to resell it back to someone in the Kommonwealth of Massacusetts.

Maybe it's apocryphal but I've read/heard that all of the registration information was destroyed due to either water damage or bird dropping contamination a few years back. If so, how can it be proved or disproved that an older gun was in-state before 98?

Eddie, it is up to the DEALER to PROVE it was in state and eligible for him to sell it to a MA Resident. That's the rub.

You are essentially correct about the old records. Some of us save everything and still have all our old tissue-paper FA-10s from those old days.

Maybe it's apocryphal but I've read/heard that all of the registration information was destroyed due to either water damage or bird dropping contamination a few years back. If so, how can it be proved or disproved that an older gun was in-state before 98?

It can't, really.... the paperwork just gives the dealers enough of a
warm fuzzy in terms of at least pretending to be compliant with whatever
the law is.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom