Yet another AR lower question

Getting a full AR lower soon and have a question:

I currently have one full AR with DI upper and I just bought a piston upper for it.

Now I plan to buy a lower and later on buy a new upper for it, not planning to use my old DI upper from my current AR (plan to use it occasionally on my old lower)

However, once I buy lower #2, I will have two uppers and two lowers in my possession.

Thinking of registering new lower with old upper as a complete rifle to be safe, what do you think?

(my license is class A large capacity)

Last edited:
If your gonna register it fa-10 etc . Just do what ever barrel length and caliber you want if your worried about having more then one lower in your house .
Don't think too much about caliber and barrel length people don't file efa10 every time they put a different upper on it.

Since the new laws there's no class a/b in mass any more.

If your gonna register it fa-10 etc . Just do what ever barrel length and caliber you want if your worried about having more then one lower in your house .
Don't think too much about caliber and barrel length people don't file efa10 every time they put a different upper on it.

Since the new laws there's no class a/b in mass any more.

Agree with the 1st paragraph. I bought a Thompson Contender FRAME and 2 barrels way back in the 1970s. That gun was made to swap barrels. A few years ago I looked at my tissue paper FA-10 and found it registered as 44Mag. However it has NEVER been assembled with that barrel, it's only been used and assembled as 357Mag. No big deal.

Second paragraph is wrong. LTC-Bs still exist with their restrictions until 2020. No new ones are issued, but those in effect are restricted as such until they expire naturally.

Agree with the 1st paragraph. I bought a Thompson Contender FRAME and 2 barrels way back in the 1970s. That gun was made to swap barrels. A few years ago I looked at my tissue paper FA-10 and found it registered as 44Mag. However it has NEVER been assembled with that barrel, it's only been used and assembled as 357Mag. No big deal.

Second paragraph is wrong. LTC-Bs still exist with their restrictions until 2020. No new ones are issued, but those in effect are restricted as such until they expire naturally.

Aaaa I wasn't clear I meant it like no new ones like you pointed out. My bad.

Thanks for replies.

A bit puzzled about the 7 day period and how it applies to self-built guns - once you have a lower in your possession, how can they prove when it can actually became a functional gun?
I can understand if you are stopped on your way to the range and found to have an unregistered gun in your trunk, but if you registered it 1 month ago, but assembled it 2 months ago, how can they prove it?
Having a hard time believing that LE will spend time going through all your purchase receipts for gun parts unless they really need a reason to hang you on some pretext.

I think this is probably so many people are paranoid and are doing FA-10 on standalone lowers (as I found from reading the threads).

Thanks for replies.

A bit puzzled about the 7 day period and how it applies to self-built guns - once you have a lower in your possession, how can they prove when it can actually became a functional gun?
I can understand if you are stopped on your way to the range and found to have an unregistered gun in your trunk, but if you registered it 1 month ago, but assembled it 2 months ago, how can they prove it?
Having a hard time believing that LE will spend time going through all your purchase receipts for gun parts unless they really need a reason to hang you on some pretext.

I think this is probably so many people are paranoid and are doing FA-10 on standalone lowers (as I found from reading the threads).

Being pulled over , a cop isn't going to run your guns unless you really messed up big time.
Not registering the transfer is a slap on the wrist.
The confusion comes from shops when they transfer you the lower doing a fa10 on it.

Or a 80% lower you milled out that has no info on .

Ar= assembled . Lol.

Back
Top Bottom