• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yaya! I canned stuff again.

Mmmmm Pea soup!

Did 14qts, one didn't seal, so it's in the fridge!

PIC-0046.jpg

I really need to be cooking on a larger scale.... I only had 4 pints of salsa the first time I made salsa, and 6 the second time.... though the second time I used 12 habanero peppers. I hope it's a bit hot compared to the 3 I used in the 4 pints.

I know! I wish someone else would post some of their stuff, or am I the only one who is still canning?

I know! I wish someone else would post some of their stuff, or am I the only one who is still canning?

I didn't have much of a garden this year to can from. I'm ordering a bigger canner soon and will hopefully do a bit more canning in the near future; and I haven't taken pictures recently.

Viva la SALSA!!!!

PIC-0047.jpg

Adam-mind sharing your salsa recipe? I don't have a canner but I "put up" jars of my original JarHead BBQ sauce. We also freeze my spaghetti sauce and chili (also world renowned - okay, locally renowned). I would like to get more into canning veggies, though.

Adam-mind sharing your salsa recipe? I don't have a canner but I "put up" jars of my original JarHead BBQ sauce. We also freeze my spaghetti sauce and chili (also world renowned - okay, locally renowned). I would like to get more into canning veggies, though.

You don't need a canner for salsa, it's acidic enough; esp with the addition of vinegar. Ball Blue Book has a number of recipes for Salsa.

My canning is done for this year.
I did 16 qts of asperagus
tomato sauce
beans
peach jelly
pickles
I also froze zucchini.broccoli, and spinach.
I'm laid up so I was trying to get all my canning done before my surgery. I finished the week of my surgery. Next year we are planning on a way larger garden and more variety so I will be canning alot more.

I have two sizes of canners. i believe Adam has an All American which is the cadillac of canners.
I have Mirror Presto I believe ,which is my larger canner, then I picked one up at the flea market which is smaller and does about 7quarts which I think it's an American canner.

Here's alink they have different makes of canners and supplies.
www.canningpantry.com/

I have two sizes of canners. i believe Adam has an All American which is the cadillac of canners.
I have Mirror Presto I believe ,which is my larger canner, then I picked one up at the flea market which is smaller and does about 7quarts which I think it's an American canner.

Here's alink they have different makes of canners and supplies.
www.canningpantry.com/

I was just checking that site out and Holy Shiite! Presto = $80/12 year warranty and American = $230/1 year warranty for roughly same size! Is there that much difference?

I was just checking that site out and Holy Shiite! Presto = $80/12 year warranty and American = $230/1 year warranty for roughly same size! Is there that much difference?
It will can just the same. Parts are easy to come by. The canner we got for 4 bucks at the flea market we bought all new seals and gauge and it works great.
My large presto works well too when I am doing large batches. I wanted a smaller canner for when I don't have as much and don't want to pull out the large canner.[laugh]

It will can just the same. Parts are easy to come by. The canner we got for 4 bucks at the flea market we bought all new seals and gauge and it works great.
My large presto works well too when I am doing large batches. I wanted a smaller canner for when I don't have as much and don't want to pull out the large canner.[laugh]

Thanks, Sue, I'll probably go with 23 quart Presto. I also read info on dial-gauge vs. weighted gauge but I haven't found any weighted-gauge canners out there.

I think his recipe is the one I posted. He may have tweaked it. If he doesn't post it I'll post the one I gave him.Which may be tomorrow though.

Nice. I like having the two different sized canners. Especially when I am canning smaller batches. Then I don't have to take out the large canner.[grin]

Nice. I like having the two different sized canners. Especially when I am canning smaller batches. Then I don't have to take out the large canner.[grin]

I've used the water canner. I liked it. I usually just use a pot that I did my cooking in, which sucked because I had to have them both clean to water can.... Now I can be cooking two things at once and can them.

I had a question, when you make your 20+ quarts of stuff, do you do it in batches? For cooking my largest pot is 10 qts (I guess I should get a new one). My water bath canner can do 7 quarts (I don't know about pints). The new canner I believe can do 21 pints and 14 quarts.

When I make something, I make one large batch. If it's water bath canned, it's easy, because I have several pots that will fit 12+ pints each, so I will just process all of them together. If it's something that I will pressure can, I will still make a large batch, and fill the canner, then just keep the rest of what I made hot until it's ready to go into the jars and then into the canner.

Back
Top Bottom