• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yaya! I canned stuff again.

Well my real recipe I don't have access to... but it also is a PITA to can in bulk.... i usually caramelize the onions....and well, it ain't fun caramelizing 10 lbs of onions..

Onions (Carmelize or not); I usually use red and vidalia
Sugar about 1/4 cup per 3 lbs of onions (more or less for sweater or less sweet).
ground nutmeg
All spice
garlic (optional)
mushrooms (optional)
bay leaves
salt

Spices are to taste.

In larger pot cover onions with beef, chicken, or veggie stock (99.99% of the time I use beef). Slow cook for 8-12 hours (or fast cook for about 1ish). Tasting periodically and adding more spices as needed.

I usually process for 1 hr for pint and 1.5 hr for quarts.

Thanks, now I really will have to go out and get more quart jars.[laugh] I love french onion soup.[grin]

Well my real recipe I don't have access to... but it also is a PITA to can in bulk.... i usually caramelize the onions....and well, it ain't fun caramelizing 10 lbs of onions..

Onions (Carmelize or not); I usually use red and vidalia
Sugar about 1/4 cup per 3 lbs of onions (more or less for sweater or less sweet).
ground nutmeg
All spice
garlic (optional)
mushrooms (optional)
bay leaves
salt

Spices are to taste.

In larger pot cover onions with beef, chicken, or veggie stock (99.99% of the time I use beef). Slow cook for 8-12 hours (or fast cook for about 1ish). Tasting periodically and adding more spices as needed.

I usually process for 1 hr for pint and 1.5 hr for quarts.

Hmmm, shoot I think I only processed my quarts yesterday for an hour. *tries to think back*

My wife and I picked our Concord grapes this weekend, and put up about 30 pints of Grape Jam. We also now have her special dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, and by next weekend we'll be ready to do some tomatoes, both sauce and crushed. We use our own fresh herbs as much as we can, and put up some frozen like Rosemary, Basil and Dill. We keep a winter window herb garden too.

I'm thinking of a trip to the Big Apple tomorrow to get some peaches to can, that is, if I can keep from eating them all with my Peach Crisp craze.

We also got some great corn, a bushel, and cut it off the cob and sealed it for the freezer. It will make a few nice corn chowders during the snowy months.

Lots of extra stuff in garden right now. Don't know if we'llhave time to can everything. We did have some Zuchinni Chocolate chip cookies this week, and they wern't bed at all. I didn't think I'd like them but I did.

Got some musical fruit canned this weekend...

A BIG batch of baked beans!

(sorry for the poor quality pics, I used my phone)
Crock pot 1
PIC-0040.jpg

Crock pot 2
PIC-0041.jpg

First load in the canner...
PIC-0044.jpg

First load out of the canner
PIC-0045.jpg

I didn't take any pictures of the second load, but I ended up with a total of 19 pints of oh so yummy beans!

Nice.
My count so far is 59 pints of green and yellow beans.
16 quarts of spaghetti sauce
15 quarts of aperagus
12 quarts of pickle
probably same amount of pickled zucchini
I will be making more pickles this week
also peaches and applesauce

Nice.
15 quarts of aperagus
12 quarts of pickle

Cool! I'm doing split pea soup next weekend, then marinara sauce, and with the price of everything going up and up, I have been considering canning some hamburger meat. If you buy it in bulk, 20lbs or so at a time, you can still get a decent deal, and as long as you will be making food that requires browned ground beef, it works perfect.

My wife and I picked our Concord grapes this weekend, and put up about 30 pints of Grape Jam. We also now have her special dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, and by next weekend we'll be ready to do some tomatoes, both sauce and crushed. We use our own fresh herbs as much as we can, and put up some frozen like Rosemary, Basil and Dill. We keep a winter window herb garden too.

Wow! 30 pints?!?! That must have been a lot of picking!

Nice.
15 quarts of aperagus
12 quarts of pickle

I'm so jealous! I need to can a lot more. I really wish I was canning more of what I grew than what I buy in the store/farmers markets.

You can do the same with chicken also, if you make like chicken pie and such. I have been considering it also.
We have a place near us that if you buy in at least 10lb lots you get a really decent price on meat.
He'll also cut how you want it.
I think next year since we are expanding our garden, I am going to can all the different vegies for beef stew, and the meat also.
Then I can just throw it together and not have to cook it all day. [laugh]

You can do the same with chicken also, if you make like chicken pie and such. I have been considering it also.
We have a place near us that if you buy in at least 10lb lots you get a really decent price on meat.
He'll also cut how you want it.
I think next year since we are expanding our garden, I am going to can all the different vegies for beef stew, and the meat also.

I definately need to expand my garden next year, this was my first year. Unfortunately the tomatoes are mostly miss. I have a bunch (10-15) golf ball sized tomatoes I'm going to make salsa out of.

I have some friends who did that (threw together some cans for meals). Their entire process of cooking for nearly 4 months was, "open can, pour can into pot over medium heat."

Don't feel bad on your tomatoes, ours have been the same way. I think we canned enough to get us through to next year. Crosses fingers on that one.[laugh] We were talking with some of the farmers and they have had the same problems. SO here's hoping next year is way better.[laugh]

I'm thinking of a trip to the Big Apple tomorrow to get some peaches to can, that is, if I can keep from eating them all with my Peach Crisp craze.

We also got some great corn, a bushel, and cut it off the cob and sealed it for the freezer. It will make a few nice corn chowders during the snowy months.

Lots of extra stuff in garden right now. Don't know if we'llhave time to can everything. We did have some Zuchinni Chocolate chip cookies this week, and they wern't bed at all. I didn't think I'd like them but I did.

30 PINTS!!! of grape jelly. Holy cow. I'm calling a local place today to see how much a bushel of peaches will cost me.[grin]

Don't feel bad on your tomatoes, ours have been the same way. I think we canned enough to get us through to next year. Crosses fingers on that one.[laugh] We were talking with some of the farmers and they have had the same problems. SO here's hoping next year is way better.[laugh]

OOh I know I shouldn't feel bad about them. For the $4 I spent on 12 tomato planes, 1 hot Portugal pepper, and 1 habenaro pepper plant... I'm pretty happy. I just wish I had more. Many of the tomatos just fell off the vines before they were rip and I set them out waiting, the others were icky. I still have a few out there. I have one nice sized tomato. I hope it is good. I will be ready in a few days for picking (I think). I have no idea how to really tell when they are ready... I just wait for them to be a good shade of red...lol.

Why not just make the beef stew, and can jars full of the finished stew. Then just dump the jar into a pot, thicken the juice, and eat? That's what I do. I have about 12qts put up this year.

Isn't it too dense if it is done that way?

Nope not at all. The one thing I would suggest though, is that you don't put the taters in until you are just about to can it. That way they don't get too mushy. Also, you don't put any flower in to thicken it up, you do that when you open the can to reheat it.

Well add to my list of canned goods 15 pints of peaches, and so far 8 jelly jars of peach jam.
Careful on the peaches though it is towards the end of the season and alot of what I got yesterday is about only good for jam.[thinking]
Oh well next year and I was told to get them in August.

Well add to my list of canned goods 15 pints of peaches, and so far 8 jelly jars of peach jam.
Careful on the peaches though it is towards the end of the season and alot of what I got yesterday is about only good for jam.[thinking]
Oh well next year and I was told to get them in August.

Have you ever done anything with Jalapeno's and Cherry peppers? Have had a lot of luck using the "cold canning" process and then stuffing them. Usually have at least one and more often than not, two per day.

Have you ever done anything with Jalapeno's and Cherry peppers? Have had a lot of luck using the "cold canning" process and then stuffing them. Usually have at least one and more often than not, two per day.

Haven't done anything with peppers, but do you have a recipe. I am always willing to try something different.[grin]

Jalapeno = Jalapeno jam. mmmm yummy.

Why not? I've got 5 - 1/2 pints of hot pepper jam (or is it jelly? I never remember the difference, lol).
I would be tempted to make it for Alan though. Knowing him it would have to be habenaro though.[laugh]
Hmm if you post the recipe I'll make some up next year for him, for his deployment.[laugh]

I would be tempted to make it for Alan though. Knowing him it would have to be habenaro though.[laugh]
Hmm if you post the recipe I'll make some up next year for him, for his deployment.[laugh]

Do you have the ball blue book of canning? I got the recipe in there. If not I'll post it. I think I used habanero's instead as well. So much sugar is used that it is spicy for a second, then a calm sugary feel until the next bite ;)

If he is going to take it on a plane, be careful how it is sealed/packed. My friend took cans of clam chowder on a plane...Let's just say, it unsealed due to the pressure and all of her clothes had to be washed.

I have the Ball Blue book. I will look it up. Hmm, I 'll have to see what my brother used to send him BBQ sauce in when he was in Iraq before.

Haven't done anything with peppers, but do you have a recipe. I am always willing to try something different.[grin]

Grin, just went through about 20 minutes of step-by-step procedure and the system would not accept the message. [angry] Kept telling me that "because I was previously logged in, could not submit the message". Trust me, I don't get that one!

If its something you are really interested in, will try again tomorrow. Just don't feel like doing it all over again now. [grin]

Grin, just went through about 20 minutes of step-by-step procedure and the system would not accept the message. [angry] Kept telling me that "because I was previously logged in, could not submit the message". Trust me, I don't get that one!

If its something you are really interested in, will try again tomorrow. Just don't feel like doing it all over again now. [grin]

Understood,you can always send to my e-mail also instead.[wink] I am definitely interested.

Back
Top Bottom