XDm goes kaboom

Some on that forum had suggested it fired out of battery- I doubt it. Look at the remaining brass in the barrel- it looks like mashed the breech face. I'd guess a double load or case separation.. my first guess would be a double load.

Okay, I don't know a whole lot about this being a new gun owner.....Is this more likely to be an ammunition issue or could it be due to the polymer frame? Just curious

Okay, I don't know a whole lot about this being a new gun owner.....Is this more likely to be an ammunition issue or could it be due to the polymer frame? Just curious

It's an ammo issue. Careless reloading of cartridges will do that to you.

The frame of a pistol does not contain the pressure of a firing cartridge, so it is impossible for it to fail due to cyclical fatigue.

What happened here is that the shooter accidentally either charged more powder than he should have or used the wrong kind of powder and the pressure generated in the chamber exceeded the cartridge's (and gun barrel's) safe working limit. The cartridge case ruptured and gasses went backwards into the action, shattering the frame and probably blowing out the bottom off the magazine.

Back
Top Bottom