• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

X39 Ranch Rifle - scope?

MAGA99

NES Member
So, a ruger ranch rifle in x39 followed me home last weekend. I have lots of x39, and magazine fed bolt, f*** yeah (larger mags are on order).

Now is the hard part, which scope? My first thought is Leupold, vxr patrol, but not available currently. They have vx series available, non illuminated, which should be fine, but in 3-9x…..I was thinking more in the 1-6 or 1-8 range….

I want to keep it light and simple. No BDC shit, just a light, durable scope. This will be a deer rifle for lugging through bramble and BS, it will be dropped. I can’t drop my current deer rifles, too pretty, and a little on the heavy side. I walk….got plenty of high magnification deer guns that can shoot well way further than I’ll ever get a shot here in the northeast.

I have a same in 300 BLK (It was a toss up between that and X39)
Just threw a Vortex 1-6 AR scope on it for now. Laser sighted but no time for a range trip.
Yeah, I may get that one too…..

My buddy has the predator in 308, 18” barrel. It’s light before the can goes on.

Agreed about a Vortex 1x6, they are Chinese but durable and quality for what it is, and if you smash it who cares?
I have a vortex strike Eagle??? I believe 1-6….it’s the one they came out with a 1-8 now. It’s decent. It’s on a 16” AR, I think it’s a good scope for a semi.

I think 1-6 or 1-8 is the correct magnification for this bolt gun…..but I want Leupold and not sure I can get the Leupold I want.

Last edited:
I thought there was only the Strike Eagle IDK, I bought one years ago and it served me well but it was put on a beater that I sold, I don't get too fancy I just rock a Trijicon Credo and red dots
I like red dots, and I have one in the box with no rifle that I’ve selected it for, yet. I’m kinda thinking a x39 bolt gun should go scope though. It’s for sure more capable than just a dot.

I purchased a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 and was considering a 1-6 x 24,
but went with a Leupold VX Freedom - 2-7 x 33 that I'm very happy with.

Last edited:
Huh….2-7 might be the ticket….11.1 oz is what I’m looking for.

Carrying around long wood stock rifles for a long time, leaning them against a tree for a rest to see a deer jump right in front of me….more times than I’d like to admit. I want light!

Can't wait for all the people to tell you whatever you choose is wrong.

The 2-X is making a comeback, but it seems around 2.5-X.

I found 2.5 or 2 to be perfect. But that is for my needs - Open ground, shooting between 75-200 yards or further. (And some here will tell me my needs are wrong [rofl] ).

If using it in a heavy wooded area, I would go with an LPVO. There are so many LPVO, it will be up to how much you want to spend.

Check out this dude, he has great reviews, maybe some of the best scope reviews on YouTube. He reviews a lot of LPVO.

I copied a video link because can't link his channel from my phone (I am not recommending Swampfox, I have no experience with them).

View: https://youtu.be/B3IjgUJSas0?si=B0pLv73zogz6zzV2

Can't wait for all the people to tell you whatever you choose is wrong.

The 2-X is making a comeback, but it seems around 2.5-X.

I found 2.5 or 2 to be perfect. But that is for my needs - Open ground, shooting between 75-200 yards or further. (And some here will tell me my needs are wrong [rofl] ).

If using it in a heavy wooded area, I would go with an LPVO. There are so many LPVO, it will be up to how much you want to spend.

Check out this dude, he has great reviews, maybe some of the best scope reviews on YouTube. He reviews a lot of LPVO.

I copied a video link because can't link his channel from my phone (I am not recommending Swampfox, I have no experience with them).

View: https://youtu.be/B3IjgUJSas0?si=B0pLv73zogz6zzV2

That's why I just put a 1.5-5 on my new to me muzzleloader. At MA distances, I can't imagine wanting more than that.

Can't wait to try it out.

2X fixed, 4X fixed, X39 doesnt need anything crazy. Nothing around here needs anything crazy for hunting...... 1X-5X, 2X-7X would be good. The rifle is small and light, I would keep the scope to mimic that theme.

PA makes a 1-6 with a x39/300blk bdc reticle that would be perfect on this rifle.
Probably would...but I don't get having a bdc reticle on something your shooting 100 yards with. They are kinda useless in the thick new england woods.

Not knocking them by the way, if you have to take a poke for some reason its not the worst thing to have IF you've shot that distance and worked out the yardages.

Probably would...but I don't get having a bdc reticle on something your shooting 100 yards with. They are kinda useless in the thick new england woods.

Not knocking them by the way, if you have to take a poke for some reason its not the worst thing to have IF you've shot that distance and worked out the yardages.
Sure, however, I like the big reticle on the scope for this purpose. I have one on my 300blk hunting upper and quite like it.

I have wanted a Ranch Rifle in x39 since they came out. I am going to get one, one of these days, and will order an other one of these scopes for that rifle.

Just went and checked. Freedom was on one of my other rigs. Forgot I went cheap beater rifle for mine. Vortex Crossfire II 2-7. I still need to sight it in. Picked up some x39 softpoint for this rig in anticipation of making it a thick woods deer rifle.

Just went and checked. Freedom was on one of my other rigs. Forgot I went cheap beater rifle for mine. Vortex Crossfire II 2-7. I still need to sight it in. Picked up some x39 softpoint for this rig in anticipation of making it a thick woods deer rifle.
Thick woods is exactly what I thought of when I picked this up on a whim.

Thick woods is exactly what I thought of when I picked this up on a whim.
If thick woods, I would consider an LPVO, 1-6x.

I would focus more on glass quality and lens size for light gathering. You wont be shooting far enough to require BDC or anything else.

For example, for my 6.5cm that I will be hunting with a max of 200 yards, I got a reticle with a simple dot, because I know that sighted at 200 I am only 1.5" high at 100. Not a big deal, so I focused on other needs since I couldn't find the perfect scope.

Anything at or above $300 will work fine for thick woods distances, but not everything will have the same glass quality and thick woods = less light.

Some of the best glass under $1K is MEOPTA, but their scopes thend to be on the heavier side.

US Optics seems to have some good stuff as well.

Durability is also a big one as well as locking turrets, although locking turrets is not a must if it has a zero stop and good turrets.

I agree on the low power. I’ve found the larger objective to be more important for me when hunting the VT woods. The extra light gathering helped my eyes a bit more under the thick cover. Especially the early dawn and right around dusk. That was my reasoning on picking larger objective hunting scopes. I liked the little extra bump in mag 2x,3x,4x. Only times I would crank up my scope was when I was debating tagging a noisy gray squirrel with a .270.

One more thing ... when deciding on magnification, I went to Bass Pro and tested several scopes. Bass Pro is a good place to test, in my opinion, because: it is full of animals at several distances you can look at and light is not great.

Of course, I didn't buy there.

PSA unfortunately seems to have discontinued their SLx 1-6x with the KISS reticle.

iu

I have one on a 375 that hasn't broken yet - if you're looking for an LVPO with a simple non-BDC reticle, keep an eye open for used or still on retailers shelves KISS.

They've got a 1-6x Classic that has a relatively uncluttered reticle still.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom