• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWI Era Cartridge and Pistol Belts

When visiting yard sales and antique shops, it always pays to ask if there are any military items. I asked the owner of a shop yesterday, and he came out with a banana box full of belts.

cartridgeBelt_001.jpg

The top is a Model 1912 Pistol belt with the smooth snap and second keeper (1917-1918). No maker mark indicates it was made by L.C.&C. Company or Plant Brothers.

cartridgeBelt_002.jpg

cartridgeBelt_003.jpg

cartridgeBelt_004.jpg

The next four are the Mills Second Pattern M1903 Cartridge Belts, made by Mills Woven Cartridge Belt Co. of Worcester, MA. They have nine pockets with the rimless eagle snaps, produced before 1914 when the rimmed eagle snap was introduced. Many marks on the belts.

cartridgeBelt_005.jpg

cartridgeBelt_006.jpg

cartridgeBelt_007.jpg

cartridgeBelt_008.jpg

cartridgeBelt_009.jpg

cartridgeBelt_010.jpg

cartridgeBelt_011.jpg

cartridgeBelt_012.jpg

cartridgeBelt_013.jpg

cartridgeBelt_018.jpg

cartridgeBelt_019.jpg

cartridgeBelt_021.jpg

Next is an unidentified model, made of OD green canvas. It is also made by Mills, with twelve pockets and the rimmed eagle snaps. Likely built between the introduction of the rimmed eagle snaps in 1914 to 1917, when the lift dot snaps were introduced.

cartridgeBelt_014.jpg

cartridgeBelt_015.jpg

cartridgeBelt_016.jpg

cartridgeBelt_017.jpg

Last edited:
Maine must be different. I always ask here in MA, but only get abrupt "no's" or dirty looks.

T

I have seen some pretty cool stuff at the Wellfleet flea market. Mortar shell lamps, Flak jackets, old bayonets, swords, stuff like that. I'm not really into collecting that kind of stuff but you never know what you're going to see there. My father was a wealth of knowledge in the militaria realm. He was a hardcore collector for well over 50 years. I used to go to gun shows, flea markets, yard sales and antique shops with him all over New England. I don't think there was anything you could have put in front of him that he couldn't identify. I sometimes wish I had payed more attention and learned more from him about this kind of stuff. All that knowledge died with him a little over 2 years ago. [sad2]

MA Flea markets and antique stores, yes. I've seen some very nice stuff in NH/VT antique stores and flea markets (my 1862 Tower) the past two weekends. My comment was reserved for yard sales. I've also had no luck with so-called estate sales, which could have been more promising.

T

Back
Top Bottom