• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WTF happened to Craftsman tools!?!?!

SBD owns Proto & MAC Tools, among others, so they dont make garbage. I hope they bring Craftsman back to its former glory.

I just built a 1/4 3/8 &1/2 set of deep and shallow sockets along with ratchets and extensions for $300 from Tekton. Taiwan made, but a good tool for the money, and the warranty seems to be great.

don't buy a tool based on warranty if you do you are overpaying as that warranty is built in to the cost 2-3 over what the tool is actually worth

My father’s got a Craftsman circular saw from circa 1975. He claims it was 179 bucks back then. I bought my dewalt one probably a decade ago. I suspect his will last longer than mine. And he used his professionally for years.

I’ve got craftsman hand tools from the 80s. Broken very few over the years. But not professionally.

The last craftsman tools I bought, are the last craftsman tools I’ll buy, and not in a good way. That was probably somewhere around the time this thread got going (a decade ago).

Jeez , I just googled “where are husky tools made “ and the answer was , they used to be made in the USA but are now made in China. Hopefully mine are American made considering how old the set is now
Certain tools must still be made in USA as I have a few Husky USA screwdrivers bought within the last year or so.

Stanley just announced they are moving production of their Craftsman hand tools back to the US.

Stanley Black & Decker is Reshoring More Production of Craftsman Tools

Hell, I remember when the Stanley Tool Works of New Britain CT moved offshore for tax reasons. Back then, I was pissed at Stanley. Today, I'm pissed at politicians. (What is shocking is the MAJORITY of New Englanders see the corporate tax cut as some sort of fat-cat deal instead of something to STOP crap like that happening. What does Stan-Lee-Tools do?? Move production back!)

I think it's safe to say Sears screwed that up.

No no. The guy that runs it keeps buying more of the stock. ROFL!!! He's got a plan. It's not a GOOD plan. It's not even a S-wordy plan. It's somewhere just above absolute-zero on the Kelvin scale as far as plans go. But he's got a plan. LOL

How’s the Craftsman brand in the last Sears store around? Or did you go there for the cheap wolverine boots...
I like their men's work clothes. Outdoor Life, Dickies, Lee, Levi, Wrangler, etc. Plus they have an excellent selection of workout clothes. Their sweatpants and gym shorts from Champion and Columbia are way better quality than you get at Kohls or Target, and their prices are better. Plus I like the fact that I can get filters and accessories for my 30 year old Craftsman shop vac and stuff for my old Craftsman belt/disc sander.
Leominster is far from the last Sears around. The one at Pheasant Lane mall has a lot more stuff but Leominster is closer.
As far as tools go I just bought a Craftsman multimeter for $14.95. It was th exact same one Home Cheapo sells for $39.95 with a different color case. Both made in Taiwan from the exact same manufacturer.

I just built a 1/4 3/8 &1/2 set of deep and shallow sockets along with ratchets and extensions for $300 from Tekton. Taiwan made, but a good tool for the money, and the warranty seems to be great.

I have a ton of Tekton sockets, ratches, wrenches, and a breaker bar (mostly all metric) all have been primo so far.

-Mike

I like their men's work clothes. Outdoor Life, Dickies, Lee, Levi, Wrangler, etc. Plus they have an excellent selection of workout clothes. Their sweatpants and gym shorts from Champion and Columbia are way better quality than you get at Kohls or Target, and their prices are better. Plus I like the fact that I can get filters and accessories for my 30 year old Craftsman shop vac and stuff for my old Craftsman belt/disc sander.
Leominster is far from the last Sears around. The one at Pheasant Lane mall has a lot more stuff but Leominster is closer.
As far as tools go I just bought a Craftsman multimeter for $14.95. It was th exact same one Home Cheapo sells for $39.95 with a different color case. Both made in Taiwan from the exact same manufacturer.
Do not buy Levi’s. They are one of the most anti-gun companies in existence.

Levi's are just terrible. They are now sized for metro sexual soy boys. I wanted to stroll down memory lane and pick up a denim jacket like the one I had in high school. The new ones are cut so slim you could never layer a sweat shirt or anything under them really. They told me that if I went to Newbury Street I could find one of the retro sized models. That's what I need, a denim jacket from Newbury Street....

So you’re standing with Every Town for Gun Safety? That’s one of the groups supported by Levi’s.
No, I'm just pointing out the hipocracy of some boycott posts. You guys will boycott a pair of pants but you'll willingly empower the machine that runs the progressive leftwing agenda. You'll get a hair across your ass over one or two products but the giant anticonservative Facebook is used by virtually every one of you. Don't throw stones unless you're willing to sweep up your own broken glass.
Then you guys start whining because your tools are made in China. But you'll run out and buy cars and trucks that are made in Japan. A country who, not too long ago tried to conquer our country! Remember when the US was at war with China? I dont.
So the Asian country that tried to kill us is fine to buy from, but the Asian country that never tried to kill us makes stuff we shouldn't buy.
Have any of you geniuses ever had an original thought, or do you just spew stuff you hear other people say?
You won't buy a tool from Sears because Craftsman tools are now made in China, but you'll run enmass to Harbor Frieght every weekend!

Last edited:
No, I'm just pointing out the hipocracy of some boycott posts. You guys will boycott a pair of pants but you'll willingly empower the machine that runs the progressive leftwing agenda. You'll get a hair across your ass over one or two products but the giant anticonservative Facebook is used by virtually every one of you. Don't throw stones unless you're willing to sweep up your own broken glass.
Then you guys start whining because your tools are made in China. But you'll run out and buy cars and trucks that are made in Japan. A country who, not too long ago tried to conquer our country! Remember when the US was at war with China? I dont.
So the Asian country that tried to kill us is fine to buy from, but the Asian country that never tried to kill us makes stuff we shouldn't buy.
Have any of you geniuses ever had an original thought, or do you just spew stuff you hear other people say?
You won't buy a tool from Sears because Craftsman tools are now made in China, but you'll run enmass to Harbor Frieght every weekend!
Funny I was thinking ....when did it become law for products to be stamped with made in XYZ country?
Also noticed at one point mot every tool I own even has origin on it. Its on the box.
I know craftsman has been made elsewhere for a long while. Maybe not the entire line but many.
I used to try and buy USA now its what I can afford.

Levi's are just terrible. They are now sized for metro sexual soy boys. I wanted to stroll down memory lane and pick up a denim jacket like the one I had in high school. The new ones are cut so slim you could never layer a sweat shirt or anything under them really. They told me that if I went to Newbury Street I could find one of the retro sized models. That's what I need, a denim jacket from Newbury Street....

So what you're saying is that you got a bit. . . bigger? ;). (Hey - me too! I'm 30lbs heavier than in HS.)

Honestly, I got a Levi's corduroy "jeans" jacket a few years ago. No QUESTION it was a size smaller than I wore in HS. I wore a large back then. I take a medium now. Some of that is the growth of sizing over the last 30 years. I've gone from a solid L/XL in most things to a M in almost all of it. TBH - I SHOULD be a Medium. I'm not overly large at all.

The other part is that we wear things "tighter" today than we did in 1986. Wearing a Levi's jacket with enough room for a sweatshirt under it is not the way I want to look today. I'd look homeless. Unless the sweatshirt was under it. In the 80's, big shoulders were the rage. And if it wasn't a big shoulder, it was one that didn't fit your shoulders. It sagged off of them. It was the look.

But I don't think that Levi's jackets are any slimmer than they were 30+ years ago. They had that sleek silhouette back then. They still have it today.

5.11 (I think) makes (made?) a denim jacket in the Levi's style. Very roomy. Lots of pockets. You can try that if you are looking for a different shape.

As far as Sears clothing in general - I've never been a fan. Even at 8yo shopping in the predominantly brown Sears locations. (Everything was freaking shades of brown in those stores! Ick!)

A buddy of mine was telling me a story a few years ago about his mom taking him to Sears for some pants. She wasn't real. . . sensitive. She couldn't find a pair that fit and asked the clerk. "Oh, your son needs Husky pants, ma'am. They are right over here." He said it was one of the most embarrassing moments of his life. He wasn't THAT overweight. But Mom basically let everyone in the store know that he needed Husky pants. And they were advertised as the same on the back, which led to FURTHER ribbing from friends.

I get it, the boycott whining around here is unreal, but let's not try to conflate 2A puritanism boycotts with jingoservative retard speak about where products are
made... [rofl] Not even on the same planet.

Also, good luck getting people to not use faceplant, unless you just want them to abandon various activity groups or whatever that they're associated
with. The problem is it's a friggan monopoly. A lot of us would gladly use MeWe or something like that, problem is "nobody is there". That pool is open and very clean, though. [laugh]

-Mike

Also, good luck getting people to not use faceplant, unless you just want them to abandon various activity groups or whatever that they're associated
with. The problem is it's a friggan monopoly. A lot of us would gladly use MeWe or something like that, problem is "nobody is there". That pool is open and very clean, though. [laugh]

ANTIsocial media - sounds good to me! [smile]

I get it, the boycott whining around here is unreal, but let's not try to conflate 2A puritanism boycotts with jingoservative retard speak about where products are
made... [rofl] Not even on the same planet.

-Mike
I know people are to adficted to it but ill never undrrstand it. Facebook has a monopoly on what? Narcissistic people who think the whole world needs to know what they had for lunch? Facebook was created so guys at Harvard could rate hot chicks. Then somehow it morphed into everyone's diary of their every activity. Now you people can't live without it even though they know the money it generates gets funneled directly to the people who would eliminate the second ammendment!
If people can't abandon Facebook for a cause they believe in, then they don't really believe in the cause.
Many of us have never had a Facebook account and we never will and we seem to be getting through a full life just fine without it.

Back
Top Bottom