WTB a Sig-I think

Looking for a carry gun that breaks down easier than my current Ultra-Star. Sig looks like what I'm looking for. Looks like it has a takedown lever. I don't see one on the HK's. Heard that both were ultra reliable. My Star is, regardless of dirt or ammo type.

Here are the details-.40 S&W is my preferred caliber. Has to have a hammer (DAK's need not apply) Used-no ma**h***'s. $500 range (or do I lay off the cough syrup?)

Questions

The difference between 229 and 239 capacity?
226 only in 9mm?
How is accuracy?
Sights adjust? How?
How does the .357 Sig compare?

Looking for a Sig expert for some guidance.

Last edited:
paul...i can vouch for the 239...it was teh first semi i bought
229 is i believe a fullsize while the 239 is a compact
your best bet...find a used 239 in .40 and then for another $150 u can get a factory barrel in .357 sig...2 guns for the price of 1...the 239 is only a single stack with either 6+1 or 7+1 i forget...great lil gun though...make sure if you get 1 get the hogue grips for it...much more comfortable and natural feel in your hand imo

Disclaimer: I am not a Sig "expert", but I do play one on the Internet.

Sigs are very good pistols, even for the money. I recently shot a friends P239 in .357 Sig. It was very controllable and I was making hits or very close misses on a 6" target at 100'.

The P220/226s are the full-size versions. The P228/229s are slightly smaller, while the P239 is more compact and is the single-stack of the bunch. You can get the 226/229/239 in .40S&W. In fact, I understand that the P229 was one of the first, if not the first pistol built specifically for the .40S&W. Most factory sights are non-adjustable but accuracy is first-rate.

With the P229 you will get 10/12 rounds in .40S&W but the P239 is limited to I believe a 7-round mag.

My favorite is the P229. If I was not so impressed by the baby Glocks I would carry a P239. I highly suggest that you look closely at the Sig family and try as many of them as you can. I don't think that you will be dissapointed.

I have the 229 in .40, it's a great, great gun. However... it's a big, heavy carry gun compared to a Glock 27. But that's just my opinion. I have not found a single gun that breaks down quicker than the Glocks... both field strip and detailed.

I have the 229 in .40, it's a great, great gun. However... it's a big, heavy carry gun compared to a Glock 27.

The Glock 23 would be the more equivalent pistol to the P229 (mid-size). The P239 would be equivalent to the Glock 27. But the P239 is still a bit bigger with smaller capacity.

Buy my Sig P239:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11617
Here are the details-.40 S&W is my preferred caliber. Has to have a hammer (DAK's need not apply) Used-no ma**h***'s. $500 range (or do I lay off the cough syrup?)

Questions

The difference between 229 and 239 capacity?
226 only in 9mm?
How is accuracy?
Sights adjust? How?
How does the .357 Sig compare?
Yes, Sigs have a takedown lever. Mine is DA/SA and it has a hammer. No ma**h***. $575, but it has 4 magazines and nightsights.

The 239 is a single-stack gun, perfect for concealed-carry or for those with medium sized hands. The 226 and 239 are double-stack and might be a bit less comfortable for those with small to medium-sized hands.

You can get details on the guns at sigarms.com.

The 226 and 229 in .40 are 10 or 12 rounds mags depending upon whether or not you can find standard capacity pre-ban mags. The 226 is a bit bigger than the 229. The 239 in .40 is 7+1.

The accuracy is just fine. The sights are fixed, meaning that adjustment is best done by a gunsmith. Windage is adjusted by moving the rear sight left or right with vise-like tool. Elevation is adjusted by swapping out the sights.

.357 Sig is more expensive and has more muzzle flash and report than .40 S&W. Personally, I can't see a reason for .357 Sig over .40.

Last edited:
Take down

In their order of ease...

Sig 226
Glock
Ruger MkIII

I own one of each, sig is the simplest, the Ruger is a challenge for the
first few times, but it is a great .22.

JimB

forgot somehting

If you interested in a 226 call 4 seasons they got a bunch of police trade ins
selling them for $399 with 2 high caps. they are in good shape.

the sights on these are IMO junk.... not adjustable, so i would consider
buying something that is adjustable...

JimB

Buy my Sig P239:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11617
Yes, Sigs have a takedown lever. Mine is DA/SA and it has a hammer. No ma**h***. $575, but it has 4 magazines and nightsights.

The 239 is a single-stack gun, perfect for concealed-carry or for those with medium sized hands. The 226 and 239 are double-stack and might be a bit less comfortable for those with small to medium-sized hands.

You can get details on the guns at sigarms.com.

The 226 and 229 in .40 are 10 or 12 rounds mags depending upon whether or not you can find standard capacity pre-ban mags. The 226 is a bit bigger than the 229. The 239 in .40 is 7+1.

The accuracy is just fine. The sights are fixed, meaning that adjustment is best done by a gunsmith. Windage is adjusted by moving the rear sight left or right with vise-like tool. Elevation is adjusted by swapping out the sights.

.357 Sig is more expensive and has more muzzle flash and report than .40 S&W. Personally, I can't see a reason for .357 Sig over .40.

I noticed it the other day and I am watching it. Price is right. Was gonna send a PM. I have an offer to shoot the 226,229,and 239 this upcoming weekend. Sight unseen, I would have to say 239 is my choice because I am a 1911 sized hand. So ,yes, I'm VERY interested, but want to try the others too.

I have the 239 in .40 and also sprung for the .357 barrel.
This is my daily carry gun. I have average hands so the single stack mag fits like it was "poured" into my hand. It is also very easy to conceal with a good IWB holster. I use a "high noon" tuckable. This gun is so reliable that it even feed empty casings!
I also have the glock 23 and 27, which are great guns... but a wider grip. Although I shoot the glocks well, just not as well as my Sig.
It is really what you shoot better. In my opinion, cost should not a factor. How can you put a price on your safety? If you are a couple of hundred bucks short... wait a few months and get the best you can get.
the Glock vs. Sig debate will be there forever. It really depends on what you shoot the best.
Good luck in your search!

The Sig 226 police trade in's are all gone at FS's. I wouldn't worry too much about fixed sights on a Sig, if the night sights are a little worn they can be easily refreshed cheap. As for needing adjustable sights, unless your shooting bullseyes in matches why do you need then in a carry gun.

the sights on these are IMO junk.... not adjustable, so i would consider
buying something that is adjustable...
Almost all combat handguns come with fixed sights. They are usually pretty close from the factory, but can be regulated if necessary by a gunsmith.

Adjustable sights are more likely to snag and more likely to break or come out of adjustment than fixed sights.

I noticed it the other day and I am watching it. Price is right. Was gonna send a PM. I have an offer to shoot the 226,229,and 239 this upcoming weekend. Sight unseen, I would have to say 239 is my choice because I am a 1911 sized hand. So ,yes, I'm VERY interested, but want to try the others too.
Sounds good, let me know.

My Star has adjustable sights and has never snagged or come out of adjustment. And just because I wouldn't be using them (sights) in a "gunfight" I do use them most of the time at my practices with my carry gun.

I'll keep ya posted 1911! The more I read about the 239, the more I become convinced that I will be adding some holster wear to that one of yours.

The 226 is carried by the Ma state police and is in 9mm and 40S&W
the only way to change elevation is to get a higher/lower sight but windage can be adjusted. SIG has a tool designed for this but it ain't cheap. Brownell's has a similar type of tool holds the slide in a padded vice and you use an allen screw with a plastic tip to move sight left or right.Ihave one and it works very well. It was designed for moving 1911 sight but works on many semi autos As I recall it's about $100 but it beats using a hammer and punch
IIRC the 229 was built specificly for the 40 S&W

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom