~ Wrap your noggin around this one folks . . .

Just what do you suppose could be the reasoning behind such an odd looking round? Reloaded round? They seem to have compressed the area behind the bullet but in front of the powder charge. I have no idea at all but perhaps it was accomplished in a vacuum chamber of some sort and for what reason?

Wasplike-25ACP-1.jpg

Here's an odd looking, wasp-waisted Remington-UMC .25 ACP cartridge. My first impression was that this had to be a loading problem, resulting perhaps from an accumulation of oil in one of the case forming processes. However, one shotshell-collecting buddy suggested that it might have been made this way intentionally, perhaps part of a top-secret developmental project, not unlike Remington's production of the .30 Pedersen cartridges. He went on to say that it might have been meant for a belt or link system for a tiny little machine gun. I think he needs to stick to his shotshells.

Ruthlessly harvested from the following site:
http://www.oldammo.com/august05.htm

Last edited:
Probably a joke. Loaded on a Dillon I suspect. [laugh]

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

I wonder if you could manipulate a case like that by spinning it and working the shape into the brass with rounded tools like a dowel or something. I've seen thin walled pipe spun down like that to fit inside another piece of the same size rather than swaging it up. I wish I could fix my waist like that.

That's the 25-15-25 caliber hourglass round. Sometimes referred to the as the "Marilyn Monroe Magnum". [smile]

mmm.jpg

Last edited:
I just spent two days looking for the answere to this same problem.
I was just about to post looking for comments.
My dillion squared deal, loading 9mm is doing just that but about .007 smaller in the middle, enough to see with eye.
There is no adjustment with the square deal on that die/station
The sizing die is a little to small. I originaly thought that the bullet was to big but it measure ok and fits in my lee gauge.
Not as bad as picture.
looks like someone had the worng full lenth die in thier press

Last edited:
I just spent two days looking for the answere to this same problem.
I was just about to post looking for comments.
My dillion squared deal, loading 9mm is doing just that but about .007 smaller in the middle, enough to see with eye.
There is no adjustment with the square deal on that die/station
The sizing die is a little to small. I originaly thought that the bullet was to big but it measure ok and fits in my lee gauge.
Not as bad as picture.
looks like someone had the worng full lenth die in thier press

Straight walled pistol rounds just happen to come off the press looking like that ( what you are describing, not the op pic). They look like crap but shoot well. Now, if you just want to be yet another Dillon basher, believe whatever you want!

Back to the OP post. It is possible to cave in brass like that, it just won't be consistantly the same each time. The roundness of the larger diameter above the case head tells me that the round had the bullet seated and then either taper crimped WAY too much or something else pushed down of the edge of the case. Note the sharpness of the case where the end of the bullet probably is. A lot of pressure was put there. The only problem with this theory is that the OAL of the case appears to be the same in each "case". Maybe something like loading 9mm through your .380 dies??? 6 hold, shot us a pic of the headstamps.

That happens when you store your ammo in those plastic bags using a vacuum sealing machine. [laugh]

Seriously, I have no idea how any combination of loading/seating dies could do that to a cartridge. The bullet, case neck, and base all seem to be fine. I've mangled my share of cases while reloading but I've never ended up with anything like that.

Just what do you suppose could be the reasoning behind such an odd looking round? Reloaded round? They seem to have compressed the area behind the bullet but in front of the powder charge. I have no idea at all but perhaps it was accomplished in a vacuum chamber of some sort and for what reason?

Wasplike-25ACP-1.jpg

Here's an odd looking, wasp-waisted Remington-UMC .25 ACP cartridge. My first impression was that this had to be a loading problem, resulting perhaps from an accumulation of oil in one of the case forming processes. However, one shotshell-collecting buddy suggested that it might have been made this way intentionally, perhaps part of a top-secret developmental project, not unlike Remington's production of the .30 Pedersen cartridges. He went on to say that it might have been meant for a belt or link system for a tiny little machine gun. I think he needs to stick to his shotshells.

Ruthlessly pirated from the following site:
http://www.oldammo.com/august05.htm

Almost looks like someone squeezed it with an EOD crimper, seeing how the bullet itself has pushed up a tiny bit, exposing the canalure groove................

Looks like a round loaded to confuse people. Was made by using the wrong sizing die to shrink the case then expanded the opening for the bullet.

My guess, a factory screw up. One round got caught somewhere on the assembly line and spun between/against something, and that caused the indent.

Remington-UMC "Dogbone" Kleanbore .25 Automatic (6.35mm) Metal Cased, R81

rad6EB0440130.JPG

That's what the packaging looked like when they first came out.

Below is the current packaging
6096_ts.JPG

Remington-UMC "Dogbone" Kleanbore .25 Automatic (6.35mm) Metal Cased, R81
That's what the packaging looked like when they first came out.

Below is the current packaging
Duke ~ are you saying that you've actually seen ammo that has the same properties as the thin waisted one in the original photo? I have done a few Googles trying to find some photos of that type but with no luck at all.

Hahaha. I was waiting for someone to try and correlate the "dogbone" on the packaging, with the shape of the round.

The shape on the packaging has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the shape of the round.

I happened to see an old package that had that weird dogbone shape on it, and couldn't resist.

I don't have a clue as to why the round was shown with the reduced "waist".

6hold- I think the intent was someone designed it so that someone else (like yourself) would ask questions about it. [laugh]

-Mike

6hold- I think the intent was someone designed it so that someone else (like yourself) would ask questions about it. [laugh]

-Mike
Mike ~ Of course, you're right, that is precisely the reason they posting it in the original link and for me posting it here. I thought that was self evident. Most here have more and better knowledge than me I believe. These items are interesting and I enjoy hearing other folks thinking on these subjects, that’s what makes it more intriguing. Who knows, somewhere down the line someone may read this thread and have the precise answer as to why this round of ammo was manufactured in the first place . . . we can always hope! [thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom