• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Would you patronize a "Prepper Supply" store?

StevieP

NES Member
I have GOT to get out of high-tech. This desk job is slowly killing me. My wife has been in insurance for way too long, too, and really wants to do something different.

In trying to think up ideas for a business we could open together -- to give us a common goal and interests -- I came up with the idea of "Preparedness" type of store.

Food: Storage, dehydrators, canning supplies, long-term food, mre's, etc.

Water: Filtration and purification systems

Power & lighting: Generators, candles, flashlights, solar, light sticks, etc.

Survival: bug out bags, tools, knives, paracord, fire starters

First Aid: kits and supplies, safety eye and ear protection,

Pet supplies

Clothing: 5.11 or other branded tactical clothing and gear, rain gear,

Backpacking/hiking gear (thought of extending this to Kayaks or other outdoor sporting goods)

Information/books: survival manuals, etc. Would also have a classroom and host seminars about food canning, gun safety classes, "Prepping 101," etc.

What other categories of products, or specific items should such a store absolutely need to have on the shelves?

Do you think this is a viable business idea, given the right location? What impediments would you foresee?

Starting to come up with a business plan, and open to ideas.

Thanks!

Honestly, I don't see how you could keep your products cheap enough. I buy a lot of this stuff in bulk and/or when it's on sale.

Have you ever ran a small business before? This sounds like a dream hobby and not a business model. You aren't going to have the buying power to stock up on things from food to clothing to electronics and have an even remotely competitive price. You'll need to educate consumers which is the hardest part of any industry. Telling people why they should prep is already a tough sell. Trying to convince them why they should go to a prepper store instead of getting significantly lower pricing and wider selection at any sporting goods place, department store, or on the internet is going to be another battle.

What if it was expanded to include "everything but the guns" that you'd otherwise see in gun stores?

shotgun and rifle stocks, AR parts, barrels, triggers, slings, bipods, and, well, all the stuff that doesn't require ATF's blessing? Including that as a means to engage the tactical/survivalist types?

I have a hard time believing in the long-term success of such a store.

Power & Lighting-Home Depot is most peoples first thought.
First Aid- Can be found just about anywhere, Walmart is where most will buy this stuff from.
Water Filtration-Amazon has most of this.
Survival- Mix of REI and online vendors.
Clothing- 5.11 is pretty overpriced for what it is. Shooters has a good selection for the NH folks, and there is a large vendor in Milford that supposedly has a large showroom full.
Hiking Gear-Again, places like REI.

Not to say it can't be done, but it would take a while to gain word of mouth to get your regulars away from the stores mentioned above. And brick and mortar retail is cut throat since competition from online is so fierce and you'll have people constantly asking if you price match with Amazon.

Starting the business now won't be easy. You'll be competing against a lot of online stores, and some local ones. They've been established long enough, and placed enough order volume to get lower pricing. Unless you can find distributors that will give you pricing that allows you to compete with them, most of your business will be very local.

Personally, if it costs me the same amount (or at least a little less) to buy locally, I will. I factor in shipping costs when doing the price comparison. I also factor in how much fuel I'll burn getting to the store. If it's "close enough" I'll go local. If I 'need' that item fast, then the shipping costs can really be the deciding factor for me.

If you're going to have a web site, make the inventory live. Allow people to either order online, and pickup in store (telling you to reserve the items for them), or let them call ahead and set the items aside for a reasonable amount of time (12-24 hours is reasonable).

Something else to keep in mind. You'll need to survive the initial 'lean' years when starting a new business. Many don't even break even until after the first year, or two. Which means you need to have enough financial reserves to survive that span. Actually turning a profit can take longer than that. Not saying you can't turn a profit in the first year, and every year after that, it just doesn't happen very often. At least not with retail.

What if it was expanded to include "everything but the guns" that you'd otherwise see in gun stores?

shotgun and rifle stocks, AR parts, barrels, triggers, slings, bipods, and, well, all the stuff that doesn't require ATF's blessing? Including that as a means to engage the tactical/survivalist types?

Problem you'll probably face with the gun accessories/parts is a lot of the distributors will only sell to FFL's... If you're going to have a FFL, you might as well sell guns too. Or at least do transfers (do them cheap enough and you'll have a cult-like following).

I went to the Ebay users conference about 10 years ago in Boston. Met many people who were making a living selling all kinds of things. A buddies BIL sells maple bowls and utensils from his barn in VT. Old car parts. Service manuals. Old postcards and photographs.

We sold a faux fireplace on CL for $400. The guy who bought it said it would fetch $1,000 or more in other parts of the country. Sell old New England stuff to the rest of the country is big business.

That said, business to business services is a lot more certain future. Selling things to companies that need them and have the money to buy them seems more logical.

Like everybody else has noted, you would be trying to enter a market already saturated by big players.

But, I would defeinetly come in and check out the store. A lot of times it's nice to see something in person and then go home and order it off the interwebs.

Like everybody else has noted, you would be trying to enter a market already saturated by big players.

But, I would defeinetly come in and check out the store. A lot of times it's nice to see something in person and then go home and order it off the interwebs.

I'd do that ONLY if I'm saving a significant amount by doing so. Since I could go home with the item that day. The best I could do from the interwebz is get it with overnight shipping ($$$$) which normally negates any savings. IF the item is at least 10% cheaper by getting it online, with overnight shipping, I'd do it that way. Otherwise, I'll buy it at the store I see it at and go home with it. Plus, I like paying in cash for some things. [smile]

I
Food: Storage, dehydrators, canning supplies, long-term food, mre's, etc.

Water: Filtration and purification systems

Power & lighting: Generators, candles, flashlights, solar, light sticks, etc.

Survival: bug out bags, tools, knives, paracord, fire starters

First Aid: kits and supplies, safety eye and ear protection,

Pet supplies

Clothing: 5.11 or other branded tactical clothing and gear, rain gear,

Backpacking/hiking gear (thought of extending this to Kayaks or other outdoor sporting goods)

Information/books: survival manuals, etc. Would also have a classroom and host seminars about food canning, gun safety classes, "Prepping 101," etc.

What other categories of products, or specific items should such a store absolutely need to have on the shelves?

Do you think this is a viable business idea, given the right location? What impediments would you foresee?

Starting to come up with a business plan, and open to ideas.

Thanks!

I think it could work if you do it right. I don't think you could make it with just a physical location so you'd have to have an online presence. People will only drive so far and then it's not cost effective to shop your store unless you have really unique items or great prices. You have connections here so you would likely get some NES members shopping your store.

More people are getting into prepping or at least disaster preparedness plus there are a lot of hikers and campers who use the same items. So that's a plus.

Lots of competition though.
Plus once most people get their basics taken care of they are all set unless you have customers with deep pockets that always want to upgrade packs or water filters.

If I were doing it here is the route I'd take.

Save money for inventory and to live on for the first few months so you're not already starting out in the hole. Or start with an online store to generate income to fund this before deciding on a brick and mortar.

Find great deals and over stocks on items. There was a local shoe outlet that had great deals on Merrill shoes and boots. I never asked but they must have had a connection to get overstock or past season items. Make connections.

Add in some Mil Surplus items.

Find items no one else has.

Offer classes on basic preparedness, canning, etc.

Ask members here what they would like to see in a store. What items they have a hard time finding etc.

It is tough to compete against the online vendors and a lot of the hard core Preppers don't want local people to know they are Preppers. Plus I think for a lot of people it is going to be a passing fad. There will be the hard core Preppers who will be at it until the day they day but for most it will fade quickly. You don't want to be in a business that caters to less than 1% of the general population. I know there are a lot of people on here who are Preppers but that is due to the nature of this forum and does not represent a real world sampling. People who are buy these supplies also are not consuming them so it isnt like there will be a replenishment business.

If you really wanted to do something along these lines you could always teach by holding seminars. You only need to know more than the people you are teaching. There is little investment except for time and it can be very lucrative. I had a friend who did this, he taught computer classes for seniors, soccer to kids and what ever there was a need for at the time. The computer stuff he taught himself, the soccer he hired a few high school soccer players to teach the kids. Moonbats love to pay to try to make their kids more competitive in whatever the latest fad is. He made a lot of money on the soccer stuff.

There are a few ways to make it in retail:

- Sell a product where there is a benefit to seeing before you buy (clothing, shoes)

- Sell a product where there are substantial barriers to getting wholesale or wholesale like prices. Think current year bicycles, or Levis - you won't get near an actual wholesale price list unless you are a legitimate, full time retailer.

- Sell to an uninformed (ignorant) customer base that is not accustomed to price comparison on the internet

- Sell a product which is a very heavy service component

I don't think a survival store fits into any of these categories. I am reminded of Toms Handloading - a very nice store right on the road between the 128 exit and Four Seasons. The problem is that, in times of normal supply, anyone can buy powder and primers for very near the price a retailer pays. Even Four Seasons pays close to the on-line price for powder and primers.

Look at the on-line prices for what you are planning to sell. If you can't figure a way to stock your store for at least 30% less than those prices, you will have a hard time offering your customers a decent value proposition.

One of the most common mistakes new independent retailers (storefront or mail order) make is underestimating the margin they will need to cover overhead and selling expenses.

Yep, as above.

Jeeps/offroad is my other hobby. Just like gun guys, Jeep/offroad guys are the cheapest pricks in the world. There is no loyalty, guys will buy online to save 50 cents. I've watched many friends enter and leave the retail Jeep aftermarket parts business. Can't say a retail prepper business would be any different. Price is everything these days.

Thanks for the reality check, folks.

Anyone have any thoughts on "emerging markets" for which retail business actually makes some sense? Products/services which aren't available cheaper on-line?

I shoulda been a barber...

I can do anything. I just need to have my "heart in it."

Yep, as above.

Jeeps/offroad is my other hobby. Just like gun guys, Jeep/offroad guys are the cheapest pricks in the world. There is no loyalty, guys will buy online to save 50 cents. I've watched many friends enter and leave the retail Jeep aftermarket parts business. Can't say a retail prepper business would be any different. Price is everything these days.

Most "hobbiests" are like this.
Walk into a high-end cycling store and watch some of these people haggle over the price of a bike tube for their $10K bike.
Unless they are SOL and have to buy from the store (ie. mechanical issue within walking distance) they will get everything online after using up the shops consulting time....bunch of jerks.

Thanks for the reality check, folks.

Anyone have any thoughts on "emerging markets" for which retail business actually makes some sense? Products/services which aren't available cheaper on-line?

I shoulda been a barber...

I can do anything. I just need to have my "heart in it."

Ha! My wife just told me to become a barber yesterday because I am in the same "desk job kills me" zone as you. I told her I would need to be a stylist. Much more money in doing women's hair.

Ha! My wife just told me to become a barber yesterday because I am in the same "desk job kills me" zone as you. I told her I would need to be a stylist. Much more money in doing women's hair.

Not sure about that. This area is in desperate need of a real barber. I mean someone who actually can shave and cut, not just play with clippers. Many places are called "barbershops" but unless they can wield a cut-throat they are merely posers..
Always thought it could be a pretty lucrative business if done properly. A lot of people with the skills don't have any business savvy or customer service savvy. And alot of people with the business side covered don't have the skill. Charge a good price (I think over $20 is too steep unless you're in Boston), offer late hour/early morning appointments, find a good location, and you'd make out well.

Think "barriers to entry". If they are not significant, you will have a hard time making money at it.

This is why brain surgeons are so well paid.

We started one and were custominzing EDC bags - haven't been able to keep up with the EBay prices even though we get deep discounts from our distributors. Very very tough field to be in right now.

You'd have to make it a "lifestyle" store.. Rather than focusing solely on prepping, perhaps construction options, prepper focused home renovations. I have a huge issue with going into a store then going home to buy cheaper off the web, BUT I'd have to see expertise and value before I'd even go into a store to purchase something.
A quick search online shows that it is quite a saturated market.

I think that any business plan would have to include a strong web presence, as you may not be able to make enough money as a brick and mortar. The mix of products, branding, and price competition would make it challenging.

This isn't to say you shouldn't try it, but you should definitely assess the market competition.

Think "barriers to entry". If they are not significant, you will have a hard time making money at it.

This is why brain surgeons are so well paid.

You mean University of Phoenix doesn't offer an online course for this? There goes my plans.

Rather than retail you may consider setting yourself up as a Sustainability/Preparedness consultant.

As others have said the price points on gear will be impossible to beat and the fundamental premise of WHY people should even prep tends to fall on deaf ears. (Ask me how I know) If you're a consultant you can lay out in clear non-hysterical terms as to why someone needs to have contingency plans in place for their family, and you can go about putting that in place for them...For a fee.

Big Box stores have killed the small storefront shop, period. Online sales ship from warehouses, they do not need to maintain all of the garbage that you would need to with a retail store. You would have to jack the prices up to pay for all of the required things which would then price you out of business.
Look to Ebay, sell pet rocks or some kind of gadgets that you can get cheap and resell for a profit. Doubt you could ever do it full time but you get out what you put in.
Good luck in any endeavor.

Rather than retail you may consider setting yourself up as a Sustainability/Preparedness consultant.

As others have said the price points on gear will be impossible to beat and the fundamental premise of WHY people should even prep tends to fall on deaf ears. (Ask me how I know) If you're a consultant you can lay out in clear non-hysterical terms as to why someone needs to have contingency plans in place for their family, and you can go about putting that in place for them...For a fee.

OOH! OOH!
How you know?
Horshack.jpg

Back
Top Bottom