Would you pass this up?

CdP

Four deer, two does and two fawns, frolicking in the fields behind my house. I run out the door, bow in hand, and get to within 30 yards of them. The largest doe stops as I bleat to her, stamps her hooves and I do too. We're all just watching each other. Perfect shot, broadside, so....

I turn around and go back inside.

I just couldn't have this be the story of my first deer. Felt a little too "hold ma beer, imma gonna go kill that thing over thare."

You may never get that opportunity again, but if you'd rather have a more "noble" story of your first deer kill, good on you for not taking the shot.

You take what God gives you, but it is okay to pass on the shot if that is what you feel is the right thing to do. I passed on a shot very similar to this.

i am not a hunter and dont think i could ever shoot an animal unless the future entails the SHTF and having to provide for myself/family. Especially if it was a family of deers...I would have needed therapy haha But i do eat meat so i guess Im hypocritical. Nice choice you made

I think I would have done the same, especially for my first deer. But remember, you actually paid the state to allow you to do population control for them. If your area is overrun with deer you shouldn't feel bad about not making that job any harder on yourself.

If you've never taken an animals life before, I can understand wanting to do it "right".

After you get that one good story in there, though, you gotta take what the gods provide.

I don't know the rules of bow hunting with proximity to houses. But assuming you had all the right permits by your reasoning if you were walking through the woods and tripped over a sleeping buck would you not take the shot because he didn't walk in front of the tree stand you had been in for the past 4 hours? Shoot it, Cook it, Eat it. End of story

I don't get turned on by hunting. There is no sport in it for me. I like to do it because I get some great, healthy, fresh, cost effective meat for my family. The quicker and easier it is on me and the deer, the better. I'd rather be doing a lot of other things with my time. Its work.

I hunt with a high powered rifle over bait (legally) in a stand that is extremely easy to access. Thats not sport. Thats not a hunt. That is harvesting food for my family. Thats what I do.

Just to give you a different perspective.

So, if you hunt for sport then I get why you passed that up and that is probably the best decision for you. But, if you hunt to harvest meat like I do, then I would should any one of those deer that I legally could.

Since the fawns were there i would have just let them be. I have no problem killing a deer but id rather have the fawns live and they are more likely to survive with their mother. One day one of those fawns might be a nice big buck, or a nice fat doe.

if i really needed the meat, screw it. I would have shot the bigger of the two does and not had any quams about it

Thanks for the perspective. An hour later, a buck was in the same corner. This time i could not break away and get outside, so he lived. Have been hunting this spot for a month and first deer I've seen.

If the chance comes again, especially with a buck, I will have to accept the gift from the gods. Single doe too. Family, not as sure, we'll see what feels right then.

I have a family to feed and deer meat is pretty much the only red meat we eat. The only thing I will pass on is a skipper, pretty much any full grown deer is a meat deer as long as I have a doe permit. If you're not in that position more power to you on waiting, I enjoy my time in the woods but I've had years where I passed and never got another shot again. I don't do that anymore I'm not in it for the antlers but the meat.

Back
Top Bottom