• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WORST NON-GUN SHOW AMMO GOUGING I HAVE SEEN - WORSE THAN DURING AMMOGEDDON!

Bendad97

Banned
As some of you may or may not know, I am an On The Road Agriculural Salesman for a John Deere Dealer. In addition to being a good gig, it allows me to hit the various shops in my A.O.R. from time to time. Today I am in Claremont, NH, and swing in to Black Ops Arms. You can imagine that I nearly soiled myself when I saw:

333 Packs of .22LR for $79.00
525 Packs of .22LR for $84.00
100 Packs of .22LR for $23.95

1 Pound Containers of a few Powders for $38.00 - $48.00
4 Pound Containers of a few Powders for $274.00

Lee 3 Die, NON CARBIDE Set for .38 Special $55.00
RCBS 3 Die Carbide Sets in Handgun Calibers for $65.00-$85.00

And much much more....Do people really buy this shit?

Now, I am not suggesting boycott, and it is still the USA, so they are free to charge what they want. I will say, however, that anyone who buys this stuff needs their f**king head examined.

Last edited:
I but it and I shoot it and reload and then shoot again :)
I cant fight the prices so I save in other areas and move on and accept it.

I was there yesterday, left empty handed. They had plenty of ammo, they just thought it was worth more than I did.

As some of you may or may not know, I am an On The Road Agriculural Salesman for a John Deere Dealer. In addition to being a good gig, it allows me to hit the various shops in my A.O.R. from time to time. Today I am in Claremont, NH, and swing in to Black Ops Arms. You can imagine that I nearly soiled myself when I saw:

333 Packs of .22LR for $79.00
525 Packs of .22LR for $84.00
100 Packs of .22LR for $23.95

1 Pound Containers of a few Powders for $38.00 - $48.00
4 Pound Containers of a few Powders for $274.00

Lee 3 Die, NON CARBIDE Set for .38 Special $55.00
RCBS 3 Die Carbide Sets in Handgun Calibers for $65.00-$85.00

And much much more....Do people really buy this shit?

Now, I am not suggesting boycott, and it is still the USA, so they are free to charge what they want. I will say, however, that anyone who buys this stuff needs their f**king head examined.

With those prices, now you know why they have so much in stock.

Reminds me of when I went to a few small gun shops in Woodstock, VT and in Rutland, VT. They didn't have 22 at the time but they did have WWB 357 magnum ammo for over $42 + tax for 50 rounds! I don't know if these shops think that their customers live under a rock and aren't aware of current prices on 22 ammo and other calibers? Crazy.

I reload everything I shoot, except .22LR, which I am in good shape on. That being said, I hit shops loking for good reloading component deals....at $270.00+ for 4 Pounds of Powder, I left empty handed. For a second, I thought Old Lady Diprete had opened a gun shop...

I've never had good luck in local stores the last couple years with prices. Example, a local place had steel cased Tula for $7.99 a 20 round box while Basspro had it for something like $5.25 or less. I typically only buy guns at local stores and go elsewhere for everything else. Even gun prices can be a crap shoot especially in MA. I'm curious if they are getting boned by their distributors or they simply mark it up a lot.

small shops can't pull off giant orders like wal-mart or bass pro that buy them by 100 pellets quantities.
small shop buys small and therefore discount is almost non existent compared to high volume retailers. small shop owner forced to charge more to make it worth while. couple that with not much competition around, albeit small but stable customer base that buy for cash and not high volume shooters and you get the picture. some folks are too old and/or tired to drive around state to svae $2-3 dollars on couple of boxes of ammo. some do not use internet and not aware of lower prices somewhere specific elsewhere.

Last edited:
I will top that. At Ron's gun shop in Dracut there is a box of the CCI AR tactical 22lr priced in the mid to high $90.00 range. I was there the other day and they wanted in the high $70's for 100 rounds of 40SW (remington bulk pack).

Aside from gouging ammo prices - it is a nice store with a "remarkable" selection of guns - well worth the visit.

...and if every store did that, the bubble would collapse. There would be inventory everywhere, people would calm down and then prices would return to normal.

Maybe. lol

not likely when members here are at 10,000+ rounds of 22 and still buying up as much as they can at walmart,etc to stockpile (when they aren't flipping some for profit)

Before the insanity, I was at R&R in Belchertown. I was buying something, and the price was different by a dollar or so for two identical boxes. I asked why, and was told that he prices things once, makes his profit from that deal and goes on. He bought ammo at a lower cost, priced it accordingly and when the price went up on his reorder, didn't bother remarking everything.

Maybe that's what going on here in the reverse? I know gun stores don't have a crazy margin for profit, maybe he's just trying to break even on what he paid? Kinda of cutting off the nose to spite the face, though.

The best solution to your problem is....."drumroll".....DONT'T F**KING BUY IT!!!! The Owners will eventually get the hint if it doesn't sell. But in any market, there is always someone who will pay beyond a normal retail price for something, that someone is NOT you. Thank you so much for alerting the herd. You've done a great service.

Before the insanity, I was at R&R in Belchertown. I was buying something, and the price was different by a dollar or so for two identical boxes. I asked why, and was told that he prices things once, makes his profit from that deal and goes on. He bought ammo at a lower cost, priced it accordingly and when the price went up on his reorder, didn't bother remarking everything.

Maybe that's what going on here in the reverse? I know gun stores don't have a crazy margin for profit, maybe he's just trying to break even on what he paid? Kinda of cutting off the nose to spite the face, though.
Sorta true. All of these shops are getting their products from a distributor/wholesaler, who gets them from the manufacturer, or maybe someone else in between. Sure some local shops may raise prices considerably, but most likely its the distributor/wholesaler who is raising the price, After all, they are the ones who have to buy this stuff in large quantities and sit on it indefinitely. Can't blame them for wanting to make a profit when possible. Nobody is going to go homeless for paying a little extra for 22 ammo

Don't know how they stay in business. The shop is local to me, but their prices are over the top. I think they are challenging Stone Eagle in Newport as to who can charge the most for ammo and black guns.

Don't know how they stay in business. The shop is local to me, but their prices are over the top. I think they are challenging Stone Eagle in Newport as to who can charge the most for ammo and black guns.

Sporting & Hunting Depot in Charlestown is a nice shop. Ray & his wife are good people, and they don't gouge.

Back
Top Bottom