• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

World War 2 Weekend in Natick this Weekend! (9/8 & 9/9/12)

USMA-82

NES Member
Outstanding display of vehicles and equipment, along with re-enactors and a small flea market. If you have any interest in World War II stuff, you have to go to this. Here's the flyer:

http://www.site.ww2mv.com/WWII_Weekend_2012.html

If you go, don't just walk past the tables of stuff, and think that's it - continue down around the AMVETS club house and take a left. Parked in the wooded area behind the building will be one of the largest displays of WWII tanks, cars, half-tracks, tents, trailers, and other equipment that you've ever seen.

For those who haven't been before - some views from last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDv9xz4-TwY

Best of all - FREE! Bring the family, or go solo - not to be missed.

Thanks for the heads-up. I went to the last one (might have been the first time the event was held) after seeing a sign on Speen Street in Natick, fun event I would recommend.

Thanks for giving us the details. Don't know if I can make it but I will keep it in mind.

Who's in charge of the 2nd Armored folks? My family has extensive memorabilia in hand and on loan to a museum in NH that we're working to consolidate and may loan out if there's a good home for it to be seen.

My great-grandfather was the two-star and CG of the 2nd Armored under Bradley/Eisenhower on D-Day and when they were the first Allied troops into Belgium during WW2. Tons of pictures, recordings, some uniforms, big silk flags, 2nd Armored battle maps, etc (no, nobody knows where his 1911 ended up... <sigh>)

Great day in Natick. Might not have been quite as many vehicles as last year, but there were still some beauties there:

IMG_5492.jpg

IMG_5491.jpg

IMG_5490.jpg

IMG_5489.jpg

IMG_5488.jpg

IMG_5487.jpg

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5485.jpg

IMG_5484.jpg

IMG_5483.jpg

IMG_5482.jpg

IMG_5481.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5478.jpg

IMG_5468.jpg

IMG_5467.jpg

IMG_5470.jpg

IMG_5473.jpg

The flea market had some good stuff at reasonable prices as well.

Highly recommended!

I got there around 1 or 2 and wow was I in heaven, Got to hold a BAR and listen to some really amazing stories of veterans. The British chap in particular told my father and I quite a few stories which were fascinating! He even started the engine and we got to see the inner workings of the vehicle! It was truely a treat. Too bad it started to rain, I had my eye on a M1 Bayo for my CMP purchase... I'm sure I'll find one soon. The m1897 Trench gun I saw there (actually I think there were two?) was pretty awesome. That might have moved up on my long long long list of milsurp buys.

In particular the BAR was quite an experience to hold. I really can't begin to imagine how a serviceman in WWII actually managed to lug that and 6 magazines of ammo around with him (and thats not even counting the rest of his gear). Just astonishing.

Thank you to all those who have served and are currently serving.

Great pics. That Panther is SWEET.
ETA: That Panther is for sale. $169,000. Anyone got $168,500 they wanna go in on it with me?

I'll toss in another 100... that leaves only 168,400 to go

The only problem with the Panther is that - well, it's not a Panther. It's actually a scale model of a Panther built up on a Russian recovery vehicle. All the dimensions and features are correct, but they've been assembled to match the original. For example - you won't find 80mm of sloped armor up front. It's more like 1/4" steel plate.

The owner found it in Bulgaria (?) where it was assembled to be used in a war movie.

So, you could probably talk them down on that price....

I know the owners of the BAR and Trench gun - I shoot with them regularly at Reading and Nashua F&G. I believe the BAR is going to make an appearance at the "Battle of the Bulge" match in Scarborough Maine this year:

http://www.scarfg.org/rifle/BOTB_Match.pdf

Last edited:
I went yesterday, took a 14-yr.-old who was dubious about being "dragged along" as she put it. We had a great time, might visit again today. There was a jeep for sale @ $8,500, maybe a couple other vehicles.

Thanks for the heads up. Went down on sat. I was on the bike and got chased out by the weather. It was great to watch the amphibious splash into the lake. Looking for a command car to buy now. Plus they sold beer! Great show.

The only problem with the Panther is that - well, it's not a Panther. It's actually a scale model of a Panther built up on a Russian recovery vehicle. All the dimensions and features are correct, but they've been assembled to match the original. For example - you won't find 80mm of sloped armor up front. It's more like 1/4" steel plate.

The owner found it in Bulgaria (?) where it was assembled to be used in a war movie.

So, you could probably talk them down on that price....

I know the owners of the BAR and Trench gun - I shoot with them regularly at Reading and Nashua F&G. I believe the BAR is going to make an appearance at the "Battle of the Bulge" match in Scarborough Maine this year:

http://www.scarfg.org/rifle/BOTB_Match.pdf

So basically what you're saying is that since its not an original Panther I could use it as my daily driver? SCHWEET. Imagine all the anti's terror as I drive down Rt9 in Wellesley in that beast.
In all seriousness I read the website and saw that it was built on an eastern bloc chassis. A legit Pzkpfw V Panther would probably cost millions. I still think it looks bad ass.
I wish I could have gone out there and seen the BAR. I've always wanted to check one out, but never seen one in person.

Most likely heading to there, soon. Debating if I should connect a couple pistol belts (one's not enough [laugh]) for my Dad's 1911 (not issue, but right era), and sling up the '03; and have my kid bring his Arisaka.

'scuse me, ossifer, can you direct me to the war?

[rofl]

Maybe see some of you there.

hpm and I (and spouses) had a lovely time! I regaled them with stories and pictures from the war passed down from my great-grandfather... nice bunch and outstandingly restored vehicles. I WANT the half-track-mounted quad .50 cal. AA guns for the next Monadnock shoot!!

Back
Top Bottom