Worcester "WPRC" Indoor Range Upgrade Project 2021

The indoor range upgrade project will be starting in earnest Sunday April 11th @Noon. It will be shut down completely until it is done. There will be multiple phases ongoing with some overlapping schedules.

Included, but not limited to: Lead removal, clean out of hazardous material, three-phase power upgrade, demolition/removal/disposal of existing bullet trap, demolition of existing linoleum flooring, demolition/removal/disposal of existing HV system, demolition/removal/disposal of existing target retrieval system, demolition/removal/disposal of existing ceiling/wall sound absorbing panels, repair roof from removal of HV system.

Installation of a "Purge" type weapons range ventilation system w/heat, two exterior concrete surface pads for new HV equipment, interior concrete surface repair, new flooring underneath new shooting stands, air sealing, granular rubber bullet trap, ballistic wall/ceiling panels w/sound absorbing material, new shooting stands w/solid bottom half ballistic protection & top half clear ballistic separators (almost 4 inches thick), individual motorized track target retrieval system w/180 degree rotation ability, individual control panels per shooting lane, fresh paint and more.

Expected completion of Thanksgiving 2021

More details and pictures to follow.

Will the rest of the building still be open for trainings and such?

The indoor range upgrade project will be starting in earnest Sunday April 11th @Noon. It will be shut down completely until it is done. There will be multiple phases ongoing with some overlapping schedules.

Included, but not limited to: Lead removal, clean out of hazardous material, three-phase power upgrade, demolition/removal/disposal of existing bullet trap, demolition of existing linoleum flooring, demolition/removal/disposal of existing HV system, demolition/removal/disposal of existing target retrieval system, demolition/removal/disposal of existing ceiling/wall sound absorbing panels, repair roof from removal of HV system.

Installation of a "Purge" type weapons range ventilation system w/heat, two exterior concrete surface pads for new HV equipment, interior concrete surface repair, new flooring underneath new shooting stands, air sealing, granular rubber bullet trap, ballistic wall/ceiling panels w/sound absorbing material, new shooting stands w/solid bottom half ballistic protection & top half clear ballistic separators (almost 4 inches thick), individual motorized track target retrieval system w/180 degree rotation ability, individual control panels per shooting lane, fresh paint and more.

Expected completion of Thanksgiving 2021

More details and pictures to follow.

Will the rest of the building still be open for trainings and such?
Afternoon @shaunss. Great question. We'll be renovating the entire indoor shooting range along with adding two exterior cement pads (one on the side of the building underneath the second floor emergency exit stairs, and the second pad will be placed in back of the building where the existing Eagle Leasing shipping container is, plus repairing some pavement that was damaged from a guest who parked their overloaded MAC tool truck on it and sunk in.

The lobby, bathrooms, and upstairs meeting / training room will not be affected other than possibly staging some items while work is ongoing.

Jay

Last edited:
Indoor range was prepped for demo. As much of the hazmat was removed and cleaned prior to demo crew arriving onsite. The red objects on the right side of the floor are the existing semi balistic curtains and the black metal tray's on the left side were the lead "collectors". Very old school with some history to it.

CnqHavP.jpg

Original steel bullet trap. The red curtains hung directly in back of the target holders. Most members never knew how this was configured.
dCOJivn.jpg

Then ...

Old existing 5 lane shooting stands, target distance cranks, and hardware were first to go. How many people learned to safely shoot at one of these lanes? I know I taught my wife, daughter, and granddaughter here. Good times and great memories.

RcPRnjJ.jpg

And the piles start

hc8zGpQ.jpg

Ti7i16o.jpg

I've worked in this bullet trap for years, but even this caught me slightly off guard

ixav5KZ.jpg

oRTOynZ.jpg

bdszcdI.jpg

Special thanks to local company "Steve Bandilla & Sons of Worcester" for a great demolition job. Steve and his crew did an outstanding job, showed up on time, did exactly what was we needed, and respected our property. Very professional.

More status updates will be posted.

Jay

Last edited:
Steel bullet trap and most of the indoor shooting range / has been dismantled / removed/ and disposed of.

The club's goal is to provide a blank sealed "shoe box" to our "best of breed" selected national gun range ventilation company Carey's Small Arms Range Ventilation along with InVeris Training Solutions shooting range contractors. InVeris will be completing the granular rubber bullet trap, shooting stands, wall /ceiling sound protection and more. These two national company's along with selected local contractors make up the core "renovation team".

Jay

Right side after entering range where "safe table" was located.
xi9Zcho.jpg

VvLI35b.jpg

Down range.

5dWheFC.jpg

Rear in back of steel bullet trap.

EZRhKph.jpg

Yes, those piles are hazmat on the floor yet to be removed.

6xabLoD.jpg

Next up will be removal of the old existing ventilation system.

0MxgCkd.jpg

Last edited:
Its been over a year since I've been to the club...too busy with my Master degree. Finally finished school last weekend (yay) and was excited to get back to the range in the evenings after work...guess I'll need to wait a bit longer! Its sad, I go so infrequently that every time I show up it feels like a new club.

Its been over a year since I've been to the club...too busy with my Master degree. Finally finished school last weekend (yay) and was excited to get back to the range in the evenings after work...guess I'll need to wait a bit longer! Its sad, I go so infrequently that every time I show up it feels like a new club.
Congrats, I’m halfway through mine when COVID hit and I’m not in a rush to go back given the requirements to be on campus.
It’s not easy!

Removal of the existing ventilation system completed.

KDJ7wDG.jpg

0pOzjZf.jpg

MAU above shooting stands and air diffusers are now history. Only ducting (Silver wrapped in the center above door) is for the lobby HVAC.

ARz0TgH.jpg

Both intake MAU's and Exhausts roof curbs are capped and sealed awaiting new system.

WvaU0Xx.jpg

ly9t44j.jpg

Special thanks to local HVAC Contractor Wayne Berard and his crew from Mid-State Air Systems. True professionals and worked in some tough environmental areas to complete task.

Jay

I have three contractors working on,in, and around the club house this morning. Excavators, forms and cement contractors, and electrical work. While the lobby/bathrooms remain open, please be cautious around the area.

Also, be careful around the lobby entrance as there have been some Yellow Jackets around the area were you swipe your Key fob. I've sprayed them quite a bit, but still be careful.

Jay

B8DPmTR.jpg

Side and rear concrete pads poured, cured and ready for units to be installed. While the pads have set drainage angles, the pictures make it appear much more angled than it really is.

Side pad will have the MAU 1 installed on it. This intake Make Up Air Unit will filter dust, dander, and pollen, then apply heat during winter months and then duct up to and into roof.

KF8VB3r.jpg

Rear Exhaust Unit, will house all the mechanics that will handle all spent gas fumes. Air will first go through a rough multi-stage filter, then through a nine stage HEPA filter bank before being exhausted into the atmosphere.

zmDhV1V.jpg

Upgraded Gas meter system. Not very impressive at first look, but when you consider that we are adding a heater rated at over 1M BTU's, it is actually a critical piece to the puzzle.

8kUttNP.jpg

This week, the inside floor grinding, filling, and leveling begins. This will not be the final appearance, but the foundation for a solid floor. The final flooring will be after the major contractors have completed their heavy work.

The week after should see some HVAC mechanicals arriving. I say HVAC, but in reality, it is only Heating and Ventilation. We are not installing Air Conditioning during this renovation.

Jay

Outstanding member volunteer efforts, great job. I belong to Pelham F&G, and we are at a crossroads with our current aging indoor range. We are discussing a long term plan for a completely new building / pistol range. Just curious are you bound by any epa regulations for your renovations ?

Outstanding member volunteer efforts, great job. I belong to Pelham F&G, and we are at a crossroads with our current aging indoor range. We are discussing a long term plan for a completely new building / pistol range. Just curious are you bound by any epa regulations for your renovations ?

PM inbound. [thumbsup]

Jay

Removal of the existing ventilation system completed.

KDJ7wDG.jpg

0pOzjZf.jpg

MAU above shooting stands and air diffusers are now history. Only ducting (Silver wrapped in the center above door) is for the lobby HVAC.

ARz0TgH.jpg

Both intake MAU's and Exhausts roof curbs are capped and sealed awaiting new system.

WvaU0Xx.jpg

ly9t44j.jpg

Special thanks to local HVAC Contractor Wayne Berard and his crew from Mid-State Air Systems. True professionals and worked in some tough environmental areas to complete task.

Jay
Nice. How old was the ventilation system?

My club’s ventilation is overdue but I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

Nice. How old was the ventilation system?

My club’s ventilation is overdue but I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

The old removed ventilation system was 7 years old.

Using a commercial ventilation system (like in your office building, school, small to large business, etc.) as an indoor shooting range ventilation system ages quite rapidly.

It is a discussion that goes down a rabbit hole real fast.

Jay

Floor grinding, leveling, and corrections have started. The complete floor renovation is a mult-stage process. These three stages will be completed shortly. The final floor stages of color, logo, sealing will be done after the major contractors complete the installation of ventilation, bullet trap, target retrieval system, shooting stands, lighting, etc. are complete. Kinda like the frosting on the cake, so to speak.

Jay

0uDShD4.jpg

Floor grinding, leveling, and corrections have started. The complete floor renovation is a mult-stage process. These three stages will be completed shortly. The final floor stages of color, logo, sealing will be done after the major contractors complete the installation of ventilation, bullet trap, target retrieval system, shooting stands, lighting, etc. are complete. Kinda like the frosting on the cake, so to speak.

Jay

0uDShD4.jpg
Hopefully someone checked the mastic for asbestos before grinding [laugh]

Looks good ! Were you able to budget full electronic target trollys or you going old skool handwheel-n-rope ? Are you going to allow shooting at varied distances ?

The old handwheel'n'rope are history. In it's place will be a track system with individual consoles and motorized target hangers. When you say "shooting at varied distances", you'll be able to set the target distance via the console. Does that help?

Jay

The old handwheel'n'rope are history. In it's place will be a track system with individual consoles and motorized target hangers. When you say "shooting at varied distances", you'll be able to set the target distance via the console. Does that help?

Jay
Reason I asked, is at my club we are only allowed to shoot at full 50' distance. If you try and shoot at say 15' you get excessive sag in our cable system which causes low bullet trajectories, which causes low berm impacts which damages that lower impact wall.

Reason I asked, is at my club we are only allowed to shoot at full 50' distance. If you try and shoot at say 15' you get excessive sag in our cable system which causes low bullet trajectories, which causes low berm impacts which damages that lower impact wall.

Understood. I thought you might have something else in mind. [thumbsup] Our old wheel crank rope setup was pretty tough. We even had some IDPA matches where we hung blue tarps over the ropes to form separate "lane within a lane" scenarios, if that makes sense. But that's all gone. Someone grabbed it, not sure why. It was one of those things that as I'm demo'ing, it turned a minor job into this hazmat S storm. Glad it's all gone.

But in answer to your question. I'm going with a ceiling mount track system. The target holders glide on wheels above and below the track like new style roller coasters and goes up and down the track. They use a battery like on a cordless power tool. When done (or inactivity timer trip), the target comes "home" and recharges for the next member. Via the console, members will be able to set standard distances and almost anything in between. It will also have the ability to turn 180 degrees and that can be set for different time / distance intervals. Actually, quite challenging in itself. I'd like to mount some very small camera's aiming down at the target so you can see your results, even on plain paper, on the console. Kinda like a dash cam thing??? That might not be very practical for an indoor range. Just me dreaming out loud. 🤔

Jay

I'd like to mount some very small camera's aiming down at the target so you can see your results, even on plain paper, on the console. Kinda like a dash cam thing??? That might not be very practical for an indoor range. Just me dreaming out loud. 🤔
Each lane at my club's indoor range has a cam pointing at the target
(required to be 50' from the firing line), and a flat screen monitor per lane.

I'd like to mount some very small camera's aiming down at the target so you can see your results, even on plain paper, on the console. Kinda like a dash cam thing??? That might not be very practical for an indoor range. Just me dreaming out loud. 🤔

Jay
I don’t normally like to see my results after I shoot 🤣

Understood. I thought you might have something else in mind. [thumbsup] Our old wheel crank rope setup was pretty tough. We even had some IDPA matches where we hung blue tarps over the ropes to form separate "lane within a lane" scenarios, if that makes sense. But that's all gone. Someone grabbed it, not sure why. It was one of those things that as I'm demo'ing, it turned a minor job into this hazmat S storm. Glad it's all gone.

But in answer to your question. I'm going with a ceiling mount track system. The target holders glide on wheels above and below the track like new style roller coasters and goes up and down the track. They use a battery like on a cordless power tool. When done (or inactivity timer trip), the target comes "home" and recharges for the next member. Via the console, members will be able to set standard distances and almost anything in between. It will also have the ability to turn 180 degrees and that can be set for different time / distance intervals. Actually, quite challenging in itself. I'd like to mount some very small camera's aiming down at the target so you can see your results, even on plain paper, on the console. Kinda like a dash cam thing??? That might not be very practical for an indoor range. Just me dreaming out loud. 🤔

Jay
Once your range is finished I would love a close up tour if possible !

Back
Top Bottom