Worcester IDPA 1/7/12

Mike-Mike

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Worcester IDPA 1/7/12

Worcester Pistol and Rifle club would like to invite you to this event.

Title: WPRC IDPA MATCH
Date: Saturday 1/7/12
MD: Me - John C.
Time: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Notes: WPRC IDPA MATCH
Registration 9:15 - 9:45
6 Stages Bring a flashlight.
Practice held- 1/1/12 Evening

See you there,

--Mike[smile]

Today was my first ever IDPA match and I fear that I'm hooked. Thanks to everyone who make these events possible. I'll be back for sure!

Yeah the weather was totally amazing for sure! I'd take what we had today over hot humid days all the time!

Thanks to the crew for a great match!

What is IDPA, and how does your club feel about allowing non-members coming there to shoot? I just recently got on the range committee at our club, but we don't shoot until 1:00 on Sundays, no shooting at cans (plinking), only paper targets, etc. so getting something as different as this might be a reach. On the other hand, they are looking for ways to generate money for the club.

International "defensive" Pistol Association. It is a gun game trying desperately to prove that it is not a game, but it is all good. [smile]

Non-club members and even people like me are welcomed. Come give it a try.

Couldn't have asked for better weather today!! Today I used a Glock 19 that I just picked up and I have to get used to having to actually rack the slide after a mag change instead of it just dropping when I slam the mag into my M&P.
[video=youtube_share;QEEVRYchiXE]http://youtu.be/QEEVRYchiXE[/video]

Couldn't have asked for better weather for Saturday's match. Excellent match as always, grats to the Worcester team!

WTF this is what I get for not having a babysitter!!! I'm pretty new to IDPA, but since Mid 2011 I've made it to almost every CT/Mass IDPA local match and without a doubt the Worcester ones are the best!

Couldn't have asked for better weather today!! Today I used a Glock 19 that I just picked up and I have to get used to having to actually rack the slide after a mag change instead of it just dropping when I slam the mag into my M&P.

Ah yes. Shaun with the hat cam, I'm pretty sure you were on my squad along with "Doctor" Moysey [grin] and Mike-Mike among other well known characters.

It depends on the Glock and the mag. Sometimes mine will self-load when I slam the magazine in, others I need to release it. Hitting the slide stop IS faster. Try practicing it.
I was able to pull out a 3rd place finish despite my abysmal performance on the indoor stage. Note to self, "Stick to basics and don't try to be cute". [slap]

And to whoever gave me this horrible stomach bug my wife and I are now suffering, I hope you are still alive. It's a killer! [puke]

Ah yes. Shaun with the hat cam, I'm pretty sure you were on my squad along with "Doctor" Moysey [grin] and Mike-Mike among other well known characters.

It depends on the Glock and the mag. Sometimes mine will self-load when I slam the magazine in, others I need to release it. Hitting the slide stop IS faster. Try practicing it.
I was able to pull out a 3rd place finish despite my abysmal performance on the indoor stage. Note to self, "Stick to basics and don't try to be cute". [slap]

And to whoever gave me this horrible stomach bug my wife and I are now suffering, I hope you are still alive. It's a killer! [puke]

The main reason I decided to rack the slide instead using the slide stop was that I had just bought the glock last week and I had to order extra mags for it that just came in the day before the match. So I fgured racking the slide was the "safe" way since I had absolutely no practice changing mags.
I missed as fast as I could this week and my scores showed it [sad2]

If I remember it right, Jon at GOAL said to rack the slide to release it. This is what he said we should practice and learn. Why would this be different for a competition? Is it faster? Was he wrong?

If I remember it right, Jon at GOAL said to rack the slide to release it. This is what he said we should practice and learn. Why would this be different for a competition? Is it faster? Was he wrong?

Don't confuse a game from real defensive training.

For the games- it's faster to drop the slide with the slide release button. I can assure you this.

In a real life threatening situation, it's said that fine motor skills go to hell quick and hence learning to rack that slide may be better. I'm no expert in this area.. However when a jam happens whether in competition or real life, you still need to know how to tap and rack. I'm confident that my training for the games will help in a defensive situation and I'll find the quickest way to drop the slide from slide lock.... YMMV.

Don't confuse a game from real defensive training.

For the games- it's faster to drop the slide with the slide release button. I can assure you this.

In a real life threatening situation, it's said that fine motor skills go to hell quick and hence learning to rack that slide may be better. I'm no expert in this area.. However when a jam happens whether in competition or real life, you still need to know how to tap and rack. I'm confident that my training for the games will help in a defensive situation and I'll find the quickest way to drop the slide from slide lock.... YMMV.

can you hit the mag release button? That's a "fine motor skill." if so, you can also hit the slide release.

That whole fine motor skill argument is BS. As it says two posts above, hitting mag release is a fine motor skill. Holding the sights on target while controlling your trigger pull to not upset sight alignment is quite the fine motor skill. But hitting a slide release is too difficult? Never quite understood that logic. As a wise man once told me when I got into this sport, look and see what the people who are winning do.

I also hit the slide release (with my trigger finger as I am left handed). It's just the way I learned.
However, I usually teach new shooters to use the slingshot method and for only one reason (one that almost never comes up in the discussions on the subject). The extra 1/4 -3/8 of an inch that the slide travels when using this method creates energy and inertia that may be needed to strip that first round off a tight mag.

Last edited:

Doug, Do you remember what class you were participating in when you believe I made this statement? Also, your in box is full.

Jon

As Lugnut has described, there are two different theories about this.

1) Using the slide stop is faster.

2) Some people assert that using the slide stop is a fine motor skill that you won't be able to manage under duress.

IMO, if you have a generously sized and properly positioned slide stop, and you train with it, that you'll be fine using the slide stop, and your reloads will be 1/4 to 1/2 second faster.

Try both methods. Decide which works for you, and then train that way.

Last edited:
Doug, Do you remember what class you were participating in when you believe I made this statement? Also, your in box is full.

Jon

Basic pistol. Was I mistaken in what I remember? I don't want to cause confusion, but I also want to make sure I remember right, and that there was indeed a good reason for this standing out in my mind.

Edit to add: I think I was using the release, and somehow remember being corrected to not do this.

Back
Top Bottom