Wood gassification

Did a search, got one hit from the "Prepper Show" thread.

Stumbled onto this tech (old tech) while looking at something else. Wood gassifier vehicles and power generation.

Thought it was the same as Brown's Gas until I saw that Auburn University was working on projects with it. Anyone here done anything with it? I was thinking of trying to build one that would power my generator for short term. I'd absolutely F'ing LOVE to build a truck powered by it and give a huge middle finger to the middle east/evil big oil.

Keep in mind, if you have power in a bad situation (not SHTF, just 'bad'), you will have lots of good will directed towards you.

Long term, I'm thinking HAM radio with a power set fueled by this type of setup so I could communicate with family down south (at least until I move back down there).

I was watching a TV show last evening where a couple of guys built a gasifier to fuel a small generator. I'd read a little bit about them previously, so the show grabbed my attention. A Google search came up with quite a bit of information, including some plans from FEMA for building one. If I could weld, I'd be interested in giving it a try.

Friend built a small one. It was prtty neat. GOt the idea from a Lindsey book Used an old horizontal shaft Briggs. In testing it was very dirty but it ran an alternator to charge batteries. Engine crapped out from all the tar and gunk. Did get charcoal from the process as well. I thought it would be a decent little rig to run a multipurpose engine one. Have the ability to attach an alternator, cordwood saw, washing machine etc. It needs a better filter for the gas.

these used to be very common during WWII, but a lot of people died getting poisoned with that shit too. They used to power all kinds of things, not just trucks. It takes a lot of wood to get it started, and it takes a while to completely burn down, so these are best for static setups.

I was watching a TV show last evening where a couple of guys built a gasifier to fuel a small generator. I'd read a little bit about them previously, so the show grabbed my attention. A Google search came up with quite a bit of information, including some plans from FEMA for building one. If I could weld, I'd be interested in giving it a try.

This is pretty much where I'm at, college grad with no real world skills other than being pretty handy with or without a weapon.

The tar issue from what I've read has to do with the temperature somewhere in the system (or air flow, or any number of issues I don't understand)

I guess I'll ask my local handyman if he'd be willing to work on it. I can say though, in a really bad situation (EMP/CME), having this bit of knowledge would be worth more than a truck full of gold. Trade gas generators for what the hell else you needed, assuming electric generators weren't all fried, but old vehicles would still run on it making farming possible on a medium to large scale.

Edit: I found some 'turnkey' generators starting at $2k for a small one that would power a small generator, all the way up to a 100KwH system for $30-40k.

edit2: If I ever win the lotto and build a compound for my family, I'll get one of those big ones and be capable of being completely off grid without worrying about the wind or sun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom