First wood stove - looking for guidance

I just found a diamond, Jotul F3 Artic in great condition it's 10 years old with original paperwork with everything included, pipes etc for 250. I'm going to sell the 6 inch pipes and run it trough my chimney

That isn't what I meant.

Your stove is designed to work with a certain size of chimney. If it HAS 6" pipe now and you run it with an 8" flue you may not get enough draft for the stove to work properly. Do as you want, but you should prepare a will so your firearms go where you intend, after you pass. I'm partial to milsurps.

When you invite fire into your home, treat it with respect and great care, not "or something".

(Boris is exempt from that - Fire is afraid of him!)

http://www.hearth.com is to wood heating as http://www.northeastshooters.com is to guns and kittens.

Don't know if this fits your need but I can HIGHLY recommend the soapstone stoves sold by Woodstock Soapstone Stoves in NH:

http://woodstove.com/

The soapstone mellows the heat and stores it up and releases it over time. The outside of the stove doesn't get as hot as an iron stove. I've had mine for several years and use much less wood than my Vermont Casting Resolute and maintains temperature in the house more evenly.

- Rob

Don't know if this fits your need but I can HIGHLY recommend the soapstone stoves sold by Woodstock Soapstone Stoves in NH:

http://woodstove.com/

The soapstone mellows the heat and stores it up and releases it over time. The outside of the stove doesn't get as hot as an iron stove. I've had mine for several years and use much less wood than my Vermont Casting Resolute and maintains temperature in the house more evenly.

- Rob

Thank you Rob. The more I read, the more I'm leaning toward soapstone. However, the more I research my situation, the more I'm unsure about the stove conversion all together. Once I really examine the propane stove in there, I realized just how close it is to the wall, and how much farther out in to the living room a wood stove would have to come out. Not sure its the best place for a wood stove. Add in the backing on the wall that I would have to install, and it makes it me second guess it even more. A pellet stove would be our next in line choice... but I dont really care for pellet stoves or stacks of plastic bags that would be sitting outside. Nor do I care to look at it and see a dragon-like fire blowing inside. Cleaner, sure. Thats about it. I think this winter we will be really studying our space to see if we are willing to sacrifice floor space for a wood stove, and if it would like a massive eye sore or not.

We have a Jotul Kennebec insert....it's unreal. Small little thing can get our second floor to almost 80 degrees and it's located on the first floor.

We have a Hearthstone soapstone stove. Made in VT.

Soapstone is great stuff. It holds heat for a long time. The flip side is they take longer to warm up. Hearthstone also makes cast stoves but the tradeoff of more even heat is worth it.

As far as wall clearance, Hearthstone makes a panel to fit on the back that allows You to be much closer to the wall.

Our place is small so we have a small one that takes 16" and we cut to 15". If we had more room I'd go a size up to use 18" and have a bigger firebox. Our Rinnai kicked out one winter and we kept the house warm at -22° so it's big enough. Last night I filled it at 1:30 and had good coals at 6: a bigger one might go overnight, which is nice.

http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/store/wood-products/wood-stoves

image-L.jpg

Last edited:
I installed a few jotuls for a neighbor a few years back, they are very nicely designed and built, look for a stove that you can plumb outside air to.

I think you only need outside air on a pellet stove right?
modern code fireplaces require it, many modern wood stoves have a round intake on the back. You need outside air if you have a real tight house and it's also good to stop drafts in less tight structures.

modern code fireplaces require it, many modern wood stoves have a round intake on the back. You need outside air if you have a real tight house and it's also good to stop drafts in less tight structures.

Stove needs air to burn.

If you don't feed in outside air, you're using pre-heated (read air that you're paid to heat).

This is why a fireplace has ~10-20% efficiency, and in a modern, central heat equipped house, an open, "modern" fireplace (not built to the Rumford design, will be a net energy loss.

Stove needs air to burn.

If you don't feed in outside air, you're using pre-heated (read air that you're paid to heat).

This is why a fireplace has ~10-20% efficiency, and in a modern, central heat equipped house, an open, "modern" fireplace (not built to the Rumford design, will be a net energy loss.
Nobody builds a fireplace for heating anymore. They're ambiance.

Wood stoves and pellet stoves do a good job, a better job with outside air kits.

Before I settled on the wood stove I considered a Russian fireplace.

Huge mass of masonry, puts out heat for hours, even days after the fire goes out.

Sadly, too many bricks to scavenge and way too many to buy.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/masonry-heater-russian-fireplace-zmaz83ndzale

Stove needs air to burn.

Fireplaces are efficient for getting laid. I built five but it it's about as good as one.

As we speak I have both going pellet in the kitchen and wood burner in the living room neither have external air sources but I do have that wind howling from the river.LOL

I like burning with the door open not the most efficient but really relaxing.

Dean

Last edited:
My mom's mom told my mom about Russian masonry stoves.....being from backwoods Russia before 1900, that was "high tech."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_oven#/media/File:Atkinson_Isba_1803_crop.jpg

Note the people sleeping on it. That's what they did.

They still do in rural areas or older houses. It's not very efficient, but simple to make and is very similar to the wood oven in design, but the insane thermal mass of the contraption can keep it worm long time. When it's cold outside (even by Alaska standards) and cold even in the house, it's nice and warm and space on top is where cats and people sleep.

One thing that's bad about it, when bricks get old it leaks and lots of surface area for smoke to get into the house. It stinks, but when logs walls are cracking from the sheer cold temps, you don't care about the smell.

Coldest places in Russia / World.

The diamond city of Yakutsk, coldest city over 100,000 in world. Currently -44 F.

Oymyakon, considered the coldest inhabited place in the world. Currently -49 F.

Barrow, AK is a balmy -9 by comparison. And Mt Washington is 15, though the wind is 77mph gusting to 86....

no, I believe Yamal is about -60 with windchills going to -90 (yes C, so it's about -130F).

There was a recent news about a bunch of truckers who got stuck Yamal, -85 C, they were calling rescue and rescue was asking for money to rescue them. Poor bastards were burning tires to stay alive. On some roads, trucks never stop, even if it's more than 24 h trip, because once you stop, you are ****ed.

Back
Top Bottom