First wood stove - looking for guidance

Air tight stove keeps the stove at a negative pressure - no puffing even when a sap pocket pops. Also, the secondary burn tubes create turbulence mixing the unburnt hydrocarbons with super heated air giving you 50% more heat from your wood. Simply slowing down the flue gas doesn't create the conditions necessary to fully burn the wood gas given off by primary burn. Once my secondary tubes light off there is no trace of smoke or smell from the flue even with the stove fully damped.

Negative to modern air tight stoves is that they really can't handle wood that isn't dry and stopping a runaway stove once it starts over firing is very hard.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Negative to modern air tight stoves is that they really can't handle wood that isn't dry and stopping a runaway stove once it starts over firing is very hard.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

my stove is pretty modern, been around a few years and has no cats, just re-burn tubes. On both accounts it does well. I do burn wet wood, some I cut down this summer (not a whole lot) and is just not dry. Also, I typically try to burn a load on high temp and once all wood is charred, I turn thermostat down which completely kills off flames, but the charcoal will keep house warm all night and it temp falls down, stove will open up (it's thermostat controlled) air and charcoal will produce enough heat to bring temps up again.

... stopping a runaway stove once it starts over firing is very hard.

Slooooowly open the stove door. The fire will settle down quickly. Open the door FAST and you have a a much bigger problem.

.... I do burn wet wood, some I cut down this summer (not a whole lot) and is just not dry. ...

Split the wood small, stack loosely, top cover with crap plywood, in a windy place if possible, then use a moisture meter to check random splits. When the percentage drops below 15%, burn it.

Also, sweep the chimney often if you're using less than perfect wood and almost as often if you do.

sent from my chimney using smoke signals

Last edited:
I'm talking about old wood stoves only. Nothing with tubes or cats. I would never run a new stove. I want to be able to burn tires in my stove if necessary [grin]

All our firewood was cut two years ago and been under cover at least a year. Then we bring 3-4 days worth into the house when we are leaving. The house was designed for passive solar heating so when I check the moisture content is really low - like 10%. Now I don't even bother: if there is cross-grain checking on the ends, it's probably pretty dry!

All our firewood was cut two years ago and been under cover at least a year. Then we bring 3-4 days worth into the house when we are leaving. The house was designed for passive solar heating so when I check the moisture content is really low - like 10%. Now I don't even bother: if there is cross-grain checking on the ends, it's probably pretty dry!

I just built a wood shed at the new house. I'd like to build a second one this fall so I can have two full (four cords each) and really season like that. So many damn projects!

I just built a wood shed at the new house. I'd like to build a second one this fall so I can have two full (four cords each) and really season like that. So many damn projects!
For a while I was researching passive solar drying wood sheds, with solar-powered circulation fans. But that was way overkill for firewood!

I saw the pics Mrs. X shared. Your shed is WORLDS beyond the tarp I tied over my pile. Very jealous.

Not sure how much you burn each year but the three year plan is my goal. To have three years of wood CSS and seasoning. Each year use the oldest and replace it to be used three years later.

I'm currently on the half year plan [thinking]

For a while I was researching passive solar drying wood sheds, with solar-powered circulation fans. But that was way overkill for firewood!

I've been looking into ventilation and dehumidification options for a woodshed. I struggled to find good places to put the 2 cord I bought for this winter, and naturally, it's all less than seasoned.

One thing I considered is to build my shed up against the house where my stack is, and incorporate a chase for the stack into the shed. It'll provide insulation for the pipe and warm, dry air for the wood.

I've been looking into ventilation and dehumidification options for a woodshed. I struggled to find good places to put the 2 cord I bought for this winter, and naturally, it's all less than seasoned.

One thing I considered is to build my shed up against the house where my stack is, and incorporate a chase for the stack into the shed. It'll provide insulation for the pipe and warm, dry air for the wood.

careful of mice, bugs and molds. They like warmth too.

For those that aren't stalking me on FB [grin]

Holds 4 cords cross stacked.

Resized_20161204_135003.jpg

2x10 frame, 2x8 joist, 2x6 roof, 2x4 roof support with 2x6 center beam. Corrugated steel roof.

Last edited:
I have an Osburn freestanding wood stove. Model 2000. We bought it after we moved in as there was only the regular FHW baseboard units to heat the house. We installed it our second year here. We needed everything: stove, stovepipe, chimney, and hearth. Total outlay was around $4500.

Our primary motivation was to help reduce the amount of LP we were spending and to also have a backup heat source in the event of a electrical power outage.

Attachments

• osburn2000.jpg.JPG
    osburn2000.jpg.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 31
I have an Osburn freestanding wood stove. Model 2000. We bought it after we moved in as there was only the regular FHW baseboard units to heat the house. We installed it our second year here. We needed everything: stove, stovepipe, chimney, and hearth. Total outlay was around $4500.

Our primary motivation was to help reduce the amount of LP we were spending and to also have a backup heat source in the event of a electrical power outage.

That's a nice looking stove, and considering all that was done, I thought the price was very reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom