• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wondering future availability of some guns

I've always liked the older guns,unfortunately they tend dry up over time.Could some project the future availabilty of the following guns,say....3 years from now? would there be any left,and how expensive would they be.

Makarov
Iver Johnson revolvers
Lee Enfield Mk 4
Colt 1917
Police Positive
Steyr GB
Remington model 8 and 81
Remington model 50
SKS
C-96
colt detective

You can always find ANYTHING if you're willing to pay enough. Some of those guns are pretty easy to come by. You never have to wonder if you'll see a certain gun again.... invariably they come around again, the price just goes up. There will be Mak's around forever, same with SKS. Some, like the Iver Johnson's, will be around because they are cheap and not many people collect them. Colt's pistols are going up in value every day. Remington 8's are hard to find now at a reasonable price.

You've got some easy ones and some that will cost a bit more.

As was already said some guns will always be around like the sks, makarovs, and Iver Johnsons. Now anything colt is always VERY pricy and as far as that C-96 broomhandle that is really pricey. It is not really how hard it is gonna be to find because you can always get a FFL to do a transfer and buy one of gunbroker, the main question is how much is it gonna cost.

Could some project the future availabilty of the following guns,say....3 years from now?

You're kidding, right?

If I could look into my crystal ball and predict price and availability, I'd be buying everthing up I could possibly afford, and not tell a soul (well, I might drop a few scraps to Milsurps 4 Me)

I suppose that, if you wanted to, you could do some research on total numbers produced and then begin tracking SOLD prices on Gunbroker and create a projection over time. But so many times there just seems to be a "run" on certain guns, and the prices suddenly jump up overnight.

The best thing you can do is have a good idea of the present value of whatever you're interested in, and have that value in mind while you're roaming the gun shows and gun shops or checking out the online auctions. When you see something that meets your criteria for price and condition, SNAP IT UP before it disappears. Get one of each of the guns on your list, and then trade up if you see one in better condition in the future.

Remember, you can never pay too much for a collectible gun - you just bought it too early! Eventually the value will catch up over time.

I've always liked the older guns,unfortunately they tend dry up over time.Could some project the future availabilty of the following guns,say....3 years from now? would there be any left,and how expensive would they be.

Makarov
Lee Enfield Mk 4
SKS

I can offer what I think on the 3 listed.

Its not so much availability but the key word you already mentioned... expensive, and whether or not you want a certain variant. Plus importations which are ending every day.

Russian Makarovs are getting harder to find and East German ones come and go. Neither have been plentiful like they once were and the prices seem to jump about $100 every few years. Give or take a few bucks and Russian models are current at around $500 and East German ones at around $400. Once these dry up from C&R distributors, all thats left is sellers on auction sites, and gun shows. Unfortunately they'll be able to dictate their own price.

Regarding Enfield No4 rifles, it wasn't too long ago that they weren't available anywhere except from auction sites. Then a flood of them hit the surplus market and they can be found for around $150 to $200. US marked Savage Enfields on the other hand have started to dry up and are getting more expensive when they do show up.

Now about the SKS...[grin]
Years ago you could buy Russian and Chinese ones at Woolworths for about $50. Now you can't touch a common Russian refurb model for under $250 and some people are jacking the price of an average code 26 Norinco to about the same. Once the Yugoslavian models stop being offered from distributors, people will start selling those for that price as well.
I wouldn't be surprised to see any model SKS eventually being in the neighborhood of $500 within the next 5 years. After all thats what they Yugos were going for when they first showed up here and some people are already paying over $350 for Russians and Albanians.

Bottom line is anything semi automatic gains value quickly. Take SVT40 rifles for example that just a few years ago were $600, now they're over $800.

Ok. Since I'm 18,I can't get any of the pistols.What if I gave a person who could legally own them the money to buy them and hold onto,then When I'm 21 I could get them back?Ya think anyone would be willing to do that.

I saw a remington 51 for 250$ the other day,and I wept.

Ok. Since I'm 18,I can't get any of the pistols.What if I gave a person who could legally own them the money to buy them and hold onto,then When I'm 21 I could get them back?Ya think anyone would be willing to do that.

I saw a remington 51 for 250$ the other day,and I wept.

Uh, NO!

That's pretty much called a straw purchase.

You'll be able to find most of the ones you listed three years from now. Some of them are alrady rare and have been to begin with.

If that is news to you, you have learned little, if anything, from the course you took and your access to this forum.

Your threads show a near-complete lack of knowledge of the laws you need to navigate to own ANY firearms in this state.

Post less; read more.

Unless and until you have:

1. A LICENSE

2. Funds; and

3. A clue,

you are wasting your time posting threads about acquisitions, etc.

In short, get a foundation before asking how to build a skyscraper.

If that is news to you, you have learned little, if anything, from the course you took and your access to this forum.

Your threads show a near-complete lack of knowledge of the laws you need to navigate to own ANY firearms in this state.

Post less; read more.

Unless and until you have:

1. A LICENSE

2. Funds; and

3. A clue,

you are wasting your time posting threads about acquisitions, etc.

In short, get a foundation before asking how to build a skyscraper.

I believe that you said what I said but much more eloquently! My reply was Uh, NO.

I thought it was only a straw purchase if the buyer gave the gun to someone who could not own it legally.Since I would be 21 and had obtained a LTC,wouldn't that make it legal for me to own the gun then?

I think I'm navigating these gun laws pretty well considering I'm figuring it all out in a hostile environment (Massachusetts) and I don't actually know anyone who owns a gun.

My advice to you is to follow the law of the land. You have to wait until you're 21 to get the correct license. That is if you do not screw up big time between now and then. Once you are properly licensed, you can start "the hunt".

You can find almost anything you've mentioned if you look long and hard and have money. My "jones" is Colt Single Action Army revolvers at least that's lately. Not "available" new in MA. I own 7 of them and I'm looking for #8. I own three Keltec's also not on the list. Several Colt 1911 style auto's - not on the list. Two Mauser Brooms. One of each caliber.

I go to every gun show and visit every shop I know to look around. The trick is not to NEED it and have cash in your pocket in case you find it.

Once you're 21 and get a MA state License, look into getting a C&R as well. Increases the possibilities.

You need to have patience. Then and now.

Hope that helps.

I thought it was only a straw purchase if the buyer gave the gun to someone who could not own it legally.Since I would be 21 and had obtained a LTC,wouldn't that make it legal for me to own the gun then?

I think I'm navigating these gun laws pretty well considering I'm figuring it all out in a hostile environment (Massachusetts) and I don't actually know anyone who owns a gun.

You don't know ANYONE who owns a firearm, yet are looking for a straw. WTF, wake up! Wait until you are holding LTC in hand before attempting something that will only hurt your suitability in CLEO's eyes. The interviewing officer may have a copy of your posts and shove them in your face and deem you UNsuitable.

Have a little patience and a lot of savings, it'll only help in the long run. As was already said, read on.

I remember a friend got his LTC back in the early 90's. He was 18 and when he went to buy a pistol, (I went with him) he got the shock of his young life when the store owner said you're to young to buy a pistol! He was pi$$ed,and I laughed my arse off![laugh]

Back
Top Bottom