woman was robbed this am at market basket

Geez, someone snatches a purse and you guys act like it's a mass murder. Get a grip. The violent crime rate in New Bedford is about the same as it is in the City of Los Angeles (which includes places like Beverly Hills, not just South-central) and about 1/3 that of Louisville KY (I just looked it up).

Really sucks what happened to this lady, but you need backup to go to the grocery store? Gimme a break. I can go to the grocery store in Compton or Oakland with less concern than you guys are showing about New Bedford Mass.

My wife sent this info to me in an email earlier today....she hates going to the "Basket" I like it....great prices and they carry alot of stuff. Like I told her, this whole thing could have been avoided with a little situational awareness....too many people don't pay attention to anything around them. My wife is the same way, I keep trying to get her to listen to me, maybe now she will....I won't always be around when she is out to ward off the Kooks and Psychos...I told her again today, the words that stick in my mind, "Head on a Swivel and Watch Your Six"...words to live by and words that can keep you out of situations like this.......The one she really liked was Don't be a Sheep, be a Sheepdog and scare off the wolves!!!! Forgot where i saw that one...

you said a mouthful here, not very many hear or see a dam thing.

maybe its just some of us, but i keep looking no matter where i am.

JimB

Yes Dear, but not all women have the ...umm.... upper... frontal... HIDING SPOTS that you do :eek:) .. Shoot, Dorreen could hide a TOW missle launcher in her bra and no one would know...
Terraformer, thank you for the help on that one ...But even though they might not have JDs, there are quite a few people here who are wayyy more read up on law and the way it applies to us here than I am.

That has nothing to do with it you ass,,

Geez, someone snatches a purse and you guys act like it's a mass murder. Get a grip. The violent crime rate in New Bedford is about the same as it is in the City of Los Angeles (which includes places like Beverly Hills, not just South-central) and about 1/3 that of Louisville KY (I just looked it up).

Really sucks what happened to this lady, but you need backup to go to the grocery store? Gimme a break. I can go to the grocery store in Compton or Oakland with less concern than you guys are showing about New Bedford Mass.

Never been to Brockton or NB, I see.

I kid, I kid. (although in parts of Brockton I think one of those trucks is suddenly going to appear from out behind one of the abandoned grocery stores or something...)

I live in an up and coming big dump city in MA. (Fitchburg) Most places in this city are (realtively) safe... but pretending that the place isn't dangerous is a stupid idea. It behooves you to know where the s**ty parts of town are, and stay the hell out of them. Sometimes a matter of 50-100 yards is a big deal. Roxbury is very much like this..... I lived on the edge of it for a year. Never had a problem. Then again I tended not to walk down the streets where all the street lights were shot out on purpose, either. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Again Mike, you live in a state with one of the lowest crime rates in the country but you act like it's the South Bronx or Detroit. I'm just saying get some perspective. NB is one of the worst towns in Mass. And yet it's still much lower crime than most large urban areas. As always, you should be keeping an eye out on your surroundings no matter where you are. But go work in Compton or Watts or Inglewood CA and then come back and tell me how scary NB or Roxbury or Lawrence is. You guys seem to have no perspective on this stuff and you sound like old women sometimes. And FWIW, the little area I'm in has had at least 12 drive-bys or other shootings that I know of in the last 30 days and we have a population of 250,000 in the entire county. Most of the shootings have happened in two towns with a combined population of about 30k.

Again Mike, you live in a state with one of the lowest crime rates in the country but you act like it's the South Bronx or Detroit. I'm just saying get some perspective. NB is one of the worst towns in Mass. And yet it's still much lower crime than most large urban areas. As always, you should be keeping an eye out on your surroundings no matter where you are. But go work in Compton or Watts or Inglewood CA and then come back and tell me how scary NB or Roxbury or Lawrence is. You guys seem to have no perspective on this stuff and you sound like old women sometimes. And FWIW, the little area I'm in has had at least 12 drive-bys or other shootings that I know of in the last 30 days and we have a population of 250,000 in the entire county. Most of the shootings have happened in two towns with a combined population of about 30k.

I ran outside 2 hours earlier in my underwear and t-shirt with a surefire to stop a drunk guy from beating a drunk chick (thought she was getting raped or something). New Bedford is worse than your statistics lead you to believe [thinking]

The employees at Market Basket sometimes look as sletchy as the bad guys. I found $300 in the parking lot in the Bellingham MB and went o the service desk to report the found money, the girl just said give it to her and she will take care of it. I handed her my cell# and told her if someone comes looking for it and can identify the exact bill count I will give it to them directly. 1/2 hour later a woman called in tears, she thought she lost it for good. My son learned a good lesson that day. Glad one of the employees that don't speak english didn't find it before me.

That's a pretty outrageous assumption: that a non-native english speaking employee would be less honest than a native speaker

Again Mike, you live in a state with one of the lowest crime rates in the country but you act like it's the South Bronx or Detroit. I'm just saying get some perspective.

The state having a low crime rate is irrelevant. MA's rate only looks good because of all the deluxeburys, newtons and arlingtons having large populations offsetting the
rates. The rate of the state is meaningless when you live in a dump city in MA.

I have plenty of perspective (I realize there are places that are a lot worse) and I understand what you're saying.... but don't sit there tell me that parts of MA aren't dangerous/shitty places to live. Even if you ignore the violent crime, there is a lot of "dumbass" crime in these dump cities. I've had shit stolen from me twice since
I lived in this city. That's two times too many.

Just because it's "relatively better" doesn't make any of it acceptable.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom