Wolf .223 - What's Going On?

When I first got my bushmaster about a year ago I put 500 rounds of wolf through it without issue. Recently I brought what I had in my safe (some russian brand cheapos) and bought another 100 rounds of Wolf and went to the range with my brother...the AR screamed through the russian stuff but choked on the Wolf. Rounds failed to load and when they did, the shell would extract but a new round wouldn't load. I loaded them manually for about 5 rounds but then the next round fired but I could not manually extract it. The bolt was "stuck". After dissasembling it I had to force the bolt out and then force the shell out of the barrel with a cleaning rod with quite a bit of force. There didn't appear to be any damage so I put it back together and the action was great.

So, I went back to the local gun shop and bought 4 different manufacturers of .223. For wolf I bought a box of 55grain and 62 grain .223. Went to the range. Everything but wolf screamed through the AR without incident. All the wolfs acted as they did before..not feeding and I almost got it as nastily stuck again. The other thing I noticed on the spent casings is a slight malformation on the head of the shell..not sure what that is but the other manufacturers ammo did not have such a mark. I have to dispose of the wolf ammo. This isn't scientific proof, but it does seem to indicate there is something going on at wolf.

Does wolf manufacture 5.56 for the military? I was just reading something on another forum about how all the factories pumping out 5.56 for the Military were working over 100% capacity, with workers pulling double and triple shifts. They were saying quality control has greatly suffered in some instances as a result.

Standard Wolf is good for guns with sloppy actions like AKs and Mini 14s, thats about it. I won't shoot it through my AR but will blast the hell out of Wolf .223 in my Mini 14 and their 7.62x39 in my SAR1.

The laquer coated casings gum up chambers and the ammo itself is usually very dirty, something you definitely don't want a lot of going through an AR type rifle.

Last edited:
I've shot plenty of Wolf .......... never any real problems. I agree, it is a bit dirty, and while I don't think any of the newer production stuff has laquered cases, you definitely want to keep your chamber CLEAN!

I've shot plenty of Wolf .......... never any real problems. I agree, it is a bit dirty, and while I don't think any of the newer production stuff has laquered cases, you definitely want to keep your chamber CLEAN!

+1 ... I have shot alot of it but make sure to clean my rifle as it is dirty.

What is missing from your statement in the first post is color. What color were the cartridge cases of Wolf? There are 2 potential colors of Wolf cases - green and gray. Green is the older lacquer coated stuff and has a reputation of gumming up chambers. Gray is the polymer coating that was supposed to fix this problem.

I fired old Wolf through the AR awhile back and found it usable, no more, no less. Some people feed their rifles large quantities of this stuff and haven't reported too many problems. The problems ranged from lack of accuracy to excessive carbon buildup. There were reports of some rifles suffering mechanical problems from the ammo due to over-loaded rounds (KB's.) The newer stuff still is cruddy but is supposed to function somewhat better. Bad part with the Russian ammo makers is quality control. It wasn't good before the war; I can't imagine it's any better now.

Joe R.

Bushmaster has an answer..

I emailed them about this problem..this is what they said:

"Yes, some batches of the wolf is under powered and creating a short stroking effect. Fire, eject and not pick up next round. So I guess stay away from wolf ammo, your weapon does not like it. The rifle or pistol picks the ammo it likes the best."

Looks like bushmaster knows about this.

Stay away from Wolf for your AR...seems most of you already know that.

I learn something new every day.

Adam

Does wolf manufacture 5.56 for the military? I was just reading something on another forum about how all the factories pumping out 5.56 for the Military were working over 100% capacity, with workers pulling double and triple shifts. They were saying quality control has greatly suffered in some instances as a result.

Wolf is a Russian based company that contracts with a variety of manufacturers in Russia and Europe to make their ammo. I doubt they make any for the US military.

MY bushmaster will only take wolf ammo if it's in a strait 20 round magazine. The gray cases that is, try using a Vietnam style magazine and see if that helps.

-James G.

Back
Top Bottom