• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Woken up by someone screaming for help

Why are you calling 911 on your cell phone? You should be calling the direct # to your towns police dispatch if on a cell phone. This number should be in your phone, of course.

Its a pain in the rear to call 911 on a cell phone and you are going to get the state police who may or may not transfer you to the locals directly or they might just relay the info. They also don't know the town/area as well and are going to ask more generic, standardized questions before you even get transferred. Its a waste of precious time if somebody is really in trouble.

Its one thing if your on the road and don't know local #'s but in your hometown, no excuse for not knowing.

I know the number to the local PD by heart and have called it many times in regard to my LTC. When you call the local number a recording comes on and tells you "if this is an emergency please hang up and dial 911". On the local PD webpage there are 2 phone numbers listed (I know one by heart as it is easy) and they are BOTH listed as NON-Emergency and both start with the recording. So, 911 it is.

/John

Why are you calling 911 on your cell phone? You should be calling the direct # to your towns police dispatch if on a cell phone. This number should be in your phone, of course.

Its a pain in the rear to call 911 on a cell phone and you are going to get the state police who may or may not transfer you to the locals directly or they might just relay the info. They also don't know the town/area as well and are going to ask more generic, standardized questions before you even get transferred. Its a waste of precious time if somebody is really in trouble.

Its one thing if your on the road and don't know local #'s but in your hometown, no excuse for not knowing.

I have occasion to use the non-emergency numbers for local P.D.'s on a regular basis (at least several times per month). Invariably, there will be a voice message that wll state: "If this is an emergency, hang up and call 911." If one is using a traditional "land line" phone, no problem, however if using a cell, you are going to be automatically routed to the 911 Call Center at State Police General Headquarters in Framingham, and from there your call will be directed.

Since many people now use their cell phones as their exclusive means of telephony, the land line isn't even an option. Most home defense authorities advocate having a cell phone by the bed in case intruders cut the land line. (This has been known to happen with home invasions).

I do not think that it is a good thing to generalize or to chastise someone for not knowing the local PD's number because of the voice prompt that one frequently encounters. The public has been conditioned over three or four decades to call 911 for emergencies (back in the day it was dial "O" for operator, or some places had an emergency number, for example in LA back in the 1950's it was 116 : "if you ever get in a fix, dial one-one-six). There is an overuse of 911 which is beyond the scope of this Forum and is in and of itself an interesting topic.

I cannot fault the original poster for doing exactly what he has been conditioned/instructed to do by public safety agencies for decades, esp if all he has is a cell phone, or if he keeps the cell phone by his bed as part of his home defense plan.

Last edited:

i called 911 from my cellphone 3 times.

It always took the cops about 10 seconds to transfer me.

as for the "emergency mode" jsut press end, and the phone will ask you: "are you sure you want to exit emergency mode?" "yes". (thats how it works with mine).

Last edited:
calling 911 from a cell phone will either goto Framingham SP, Middleboro SP, Northampton SP and soon if youre in Boston and dial 911 from your cell it will go right to Boston PD. Going from one of the SP's to your local PD should only take seconds. also, if you call the business line of the PD and you dont know where you are they will not be able to get your location in a timely manner.

Perhaps you answered his question. However, the cases seem to indicate that one can be arrested, indicted and tried for helping another. Expensive. As the Buddhists say, "Forewarned is forearmed."
The same is true for using deadly force to defend yourself. Expect to be arrested. You may be charged, and it may take your life savings to keep you out of jail.

Back
Top Bottom