Woburn Sportsmen's Association IDPA Inaugural!

Wow 7-10 huh. I'm sure I could make one of those, though I woildnt get home until 1045 then be a zombie when I wake up for work at 5. But it would be worth it! Thanks for the heads up! Lots of great advice from everyone here. Just curious, where abouts on the north shore are ya?

You don't have to stay the entire time. Show up at 7, leave at 8:30 if you want.

Wow 7-10 huh. I'm sure I could make one of those, though I woildnt get home until 1045 then be a zombie when I wake up for work at 5. But it would be worth it! Thanks for the heads up! Lots of great advice from everyone here. Just curious, where abouts on the north shore are ya?

I am in Groveland. I hear you about the 10pm thing. You don't have to stay the whole time though, you could do a couple of hours and then skate...

Normally the practices are in the indoor range, but I should also mention that there may be a chance they might do it earlier now that we have the outside bays set up and the days will be longer. I will post here if that's the case.

I am in Groveland. I hear you about the 10pm thing. You don't have to stay the whole time though, you could do a couple of hours and then skate...

Oh gotcha. That would work great for me then. Looks like I need to set aside some money on my next paycheck to buy these accessories. Thanks guys.

Woburn isn't a bad ride from the south shore either. Does the club put restrictions on Jr shooters? My son is 14 and has shot in IDPA with me , several clubs allow him to shoot my G19 , but my own club will only allow Jr shooters to shoot .22 from low ready. I'm always looking to keep him interested in shooting so we would definitely make the trip up to Woburn.

The June match is scheduled for the 6th.

Awesome. I ordered the 5-stitch instructor belt as M1911 recommended. Just need to figure out a holster and mag pouches for the CZ75. Either comp-tac or bladetech. I think I need to call them as bladetech has a few different models of mag pouches so I don't know which one I would need.

And comp-tac has a quad "belt fed" mag pouch but it costs $135 plus shipping...then again the dual mag pouches from either company run $55+ and I'd need two so I guess it's only a few extra $

glockerblogger recommended to me the comp-tac international holster for my CZ. Looks really nice. I know M1911 said I don't want/need a paddle so that narrows the holster mount down to "drop offset belt" or "direct attach belt"? I'm thinking direct attach belt unless it's better to have the gun offset and below the belt?

Last edited:
Awesome. I ordered the 5-stitch instructor belt as M1911 recommended. Just need to figure out a holster and mag pouches for the CZ75. Either comp-tac or bladetech. I think I need to call them as bladetech has a few different models of mag pouches so I don't know which one I would need.

And comp-tac has a quad "belt fed" mag pouch but it costs $135 plus shipping...then again the dual mag pouches from either company run $55+ and I'd need two so I guess it's only a few extra $
My blade tech for my G34 took almost 6 weeks to get, if you are planning on having it in time for the June match make sure you see if it is in stock or see if you can make it a rush order.

Blade Tech also makes an IDPA shooters pack which is a holster and mag carrier , they work well.

Last edited:
No, you don't want that. First, it is illegal for IDPA. Second, you don't need four mag pouches for IDPA.

For mag pouches for IDPA, it is hard to beat Ready Tactical. They take up little real estate on your belt. They are easy on and off. And they work well. http://cpwsa.com/products/ready-tactical-pistol-mag-pouch

Oh thanks for heads up! glockerblogger recommended that one but he might have missed in my message that this would be for IDPA not USPSA.

I thought I would need 4 pouches since you mentioned I would want at least 4 mags. But I just read through some of the rules and see that no more than 2 mags are allowed on your belt. I think I need to continue reading up on the IDPA rules...
Those pouches from Ready tactical seem like a good/well priced option.

Last edited:
My blade tech for my G34 took almost 6 weeks to get, if you are planning on having it in time for the June match make sure you see if it is in stock or see if you can make it a rush order.

Blade Tech also makes an IDPA shooters pack which is a holster and mag carrier , they work well.

Amazon has blade tech and comp-tac holsters as well as mag holsters. Apparently they(the manufacturers) keep the more common varieties in stock and the prices are good.

Woburn isn't a bad ride from the south shore either. Does the club put restrictions on Jr shooters? My son is 14 and has shot in IDPA with me , several clubs allow him to shoot my G19 , but my own club will only allow Jr shooters to shoot .22 from low ready. I'm always looking to keep him interested in shooting so we would definitely make the trip up to Woburn.

If your son has shot IDPA before and you're travelling with him, I see no issue with him shooting a match with the G19, as long as he handles it safely! The OP's daughter is younger than that and shoots a full size M&P in the matches with no issues. Look forward to seeing you there! I'm usually working as an SO.

Oh thanks for heads up! glockerblogger recommended that one but he might have missed in my message that this would be for IDPA not USPSA.

I thought I would need 4 pouches since you mentioned I would want at least 4 mags. But I just read through some of the rules and see that no more than 2 mags are allowed on your belt. I think I need to continue reading up on the IDPA rules...

1) Yes, you really need to read the rules carefully or you will get equipment that isn't legal.

2) The equipment that you get must be viable for all-day concealed carry. That 4 mag holder absolutely isn't.

3) You can have more than two mag pouches on your belt. I compete with three mag pouches on my belt. I come to the line with a mag filled to division capacity in each of those three mag pouches, plus a Barney mag in my back pocket. When told to load and make ready, I take the Barney mag out of my back pocket, draw my gun, insert the Barney mag, cycle the slide, eject the Barney mag and stow it in my back pocket. Then I take the mag from my rearmost mag pouch, insert it into the gun, press check the chamber, and holster. I'm now ready to start with a gun loaded to division capacity and two mags on my belt.

4) If you have large capacity magazines, you can make do with three magazines. Come to the line with two mags loaded to division capacity (i.e., 10), and a third magazine with division capacity +1 (i.e., 11). When directed to load and make ready, insert the 11 round mag, cycle the slide, and you are ready to go. Use a different colored floor plate (or a dab of paint) so you don't mix up the 10 round mags with the 11 round mag.

Last edited:

According to the rules: 8.6.1.3 One ammunition carrier per allowed ammunition feeding device (see rule 8.1.4.2) may be worn on the belt. (Each individual pouch in a multiple pouch ammunition carrier counts as one.) One additional ammunition carrier may be worn behind the centerline of the body for the purposes of loading at the start of a stage. This carrier must be empty before the “Stand By” command.

If you have a preban magazine for your gun that holds more than 10 rounds, you can have that one set up in the additional pouch with 11 rounds, then on the load and make ready command, you'll just put that one in the gun and rack the slide and holster. If you don't have a preban, then you'll need a fourth magazine to be your "Barney" mag. IOW, a magazine with a single round in it. On the command, you'll load that one in the gun, rack the slide, eject that magazine and replace it with a full one before holstering. If that's the case, it's just as easy to keep your barney mag and your first mag in a pocket, either in your vest or in a pants pocket. No need to really buy an extra mag carrier.

If that's the case, it's just as easy to keep your barney mag and your first mag in a pocket, either in your vest or in a pants pocket. No need to really buy an extra mag carrier.

If you are going to do this, I strongly suggest that you keep your Barney mag in a different pocket from your starting mag. Otherwise, you are likely to mix up the two and start a stage with your Barney mag (which may be a round or two down from division capacity).

I found it easier to use a third mag carrier, just to avoid the extra digging around in my pockets and to reduce the chance for confusion. Also, I might have stuffed a partly empty magazine in my pocket from a previous stage, and I don't want to accidentally pull that out and use it during load and make ready. That's why I use a third mag carrier.

Another tip: never put a partly loaded magazine into a mag carrier. At the end of the stage, when you unload and show clear, take that mag out of the gun and stuff it in your pocket. Similarly, when you are picking up your empty mags from the stage, stuff them in your pocket. Don't put them in your mag carriers. Otherwise there will come a time when you start a stage thinking that the mags in your carriers are filled to division capacity but they are partly or completely empty.

If a magazine is in my mag carrier, it is at division capacity and ready to go.

If you are going to do this, I strongly suggest that you keep your Barney mag in a different pocket from your starting mag. Otherwise, you are likely to mix up the two and start a stage with your Barney mag (which may be a round or two down from division capacity).

I found it easier to use a third mag carrier, just to avoid the extra digging around in my pockets and to reduce the chance for confusion. Also, I might have stuffed a partly empty magazine in my pocket from a previous stage, and I don't want to accidentally pull that out and use it during load and make ready. That's why I use a third mag carrier.

Another tip: never put a partly loaded magazine into a mag carrier. At the end of the stage, when you unload and show clear, take that mag out of the gun and stuff it in your pocket. Similarly, when you are picking up your empty mags from the stage, stuff them in your pocket. Don't put them in your mag carriers. Otherwise there will come a time when you start a stage thinking that the mags in your carriers are filled to division capacity but they are partly or completely empty.

Excellent advice about the partly loaded mags! WRT which pocket to put which mags in, my Barney mag is marked as such on the bottom and I've got numbers on the bottom of my other mags so I always know which one I'm putting in the gun! The numbers also help out if I experience a problem with a magazine during a course of fire, I can easily isolate it and try to fix it later.

Excellent advice about the partly loaded mags! WRT which pocket to put which mags in, my Barney mag is marked as such on the bottom and I've got numbers on the bottom of my other mags so I always know which one I'm putting in the gun! The numbers also help out if I experience a problem with a magazine during a course of fire, I can easily isolate it and try to fix it later.

Yeah, mine are numbered as well. But I haven't dedicated a particular one to always be the Barney mag. I just stuff one in my back pocket and that is my Barney mag for the match. I've got a couple new mags coming and I run a custom base plate, so I might dedicate one with a factory base plate to always be my Barney mag.

andrew1220, you can see the gist of the advice, though. Basically, you need to come up with a system of managing your gear so that you can't screw it up under pressure. Come up with a system that works for you and ALWAYS do it that way. You want to spend your time thinking about your stage plan. You don't want to get up to the line and get all flustered during load and make ready figuring out which mag is where (or worse, not figuring it out properly before the buzzer goes off).

At the end of the match, you will be tired, and that is where sticking to your system will save you from screwing up.

Exactly why I only load my Barney mag with the amount of stages in that match. If its a four stage match its got four rounds in it and it gets stowed in my back pocket out of reach. I found it makes it much easier to load to division capacity then if by some chance I grab it I'll know its light for a reason.

If your son has shot IDPA before and you're travelling with him, I see no issue with him shooting a match with the G19, as long as he handles it safely! The OP's daughter is younger than that and shoots a full size M&P in the matches with no issues. Look forward to seeing you there! I'm usually working as an SO.
Great thank you. He is a safe shooter or I wouldn't even ask. We'll definitely make a few matches this year, I think the June one is the same day as Monument beach and we're shooting in that one but we will be up there to shoot soon, thank you. Looks like its time for me to join a different club.

Thanks for all the great info guys! Appreciate it!

I like the idea of using my preban mag to hold 11 and use that as a "Barney mag". I would just need to mark/label it so I know. Although the preban mag floorplate is much different than the factory 10 round mag floorplate.

I think I'm leaning towards the comp-tac international holster and comp tac twin mag pouch.

Another question I had is regarding my CZ75. I had a gunsmith do an action job and install a fiber optic front sight and a regular black rear sight. I assume this is all IDPA legal?

As long as the action job didn't replace any of the trigger components, you should be fine. Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

You can replace anything that is not externally visible. All safeties (like a firing pin safety) must still be enabled. Replacing the trigger would bump you to ESP. No milling of the slide. Changing sights is OK as long as the slide wasn't milled to install the sights.

You can replace anything that is not externally visible. All safeties (like a firing pin safety) must still be enabled. Replacing the trigger would bump you to ESP. No milling of the slide. Changing sights is OK as long as the slide wasn't milled to install the sights.

Shit. The hammer was replaced so that's definitely externally visible. Darn. So it's still legal but I'll have to compete with others in that ESP division? Is there always ESP and SSP division shooters at every match? Wasn't sure if I'm shooting myself in the foot if I'd be the only ESP division shooter. At least at Woburn anyway.

Last edited:
What about replacing the CZ75 slide stop lever with a lever from a CZ P-01 Shadow.

Edit: fine for ESP.

Last edited:
Just read through the rules (like I should have a while ago before asking all these questions[smile]) for ESP division and it looks like that's what division the CZ will be in. Action work and extended slide releases are allowed I see. Doesn't say anything about replacing hammers but maybe that falls under action work.

You guys were so great with all the tips/info and answering questions that I kept pushing off reading the rules lol. But I'm glad you stopped answering these last few questions because it's finally forced me to skim through the rules.

Last edited:
Generally as I understand the rules, CZ hammer being replaced with another CZ hammer as is often done, does not knock a gun out of production or SSP.

Yeah I'm not sure. It's the hammer that is in the CZ SP-01 Shadow model. But I came across this in the rules:

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]8.2.1.3.3 Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are stock on one SSP legal firearm may be used on another SSP legal firearm from the same manufacturer provided they are drop in replacements. Parts in this list must come factory installed on standard production firearms. Special parts that are available installed only from a factory custom shop are not eligible in SSP.

The CZ SP-01 Shadow is from the CZ Custom shop so that would bump my CZ into the ESP division then. Not a big deal I guess.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Generally as I understand the rules, CZ hammer being replaced with another CZ hammer as is often done, does not knock a gun out of production or SSP.

This is where I'm out of my depth on the rules.

I would post a new thread on idpaforum.yuku.com. At least one of the guys on there is on one of the IDPA Tiger Teams.

Back
Top Bottom