Woburn Sportsmen's Association IDPA Inaugural!

johniac7078

NES Member
****MAY 2nd****
Please come and join us at Woburn Sportsmen's Association for our first full 6-stage IDPA match. There will be 5 outdoor and 1 indoor (low-light) stage. Breakfast and Lunch will be available.

Please pre-register here:

https://clubs.practiscore.com/woburn-sportsmen-s-association-monthly-idpa-match/register

Set up starts at 8am. Registration opens at 8:30. Mandatory shooters meeting at 9:45. First shots 10am sharp. Fee $20.

Woburn Sportsmen's Association
155 Middlesex Turnpike
Bedford MA
http://woburnsportsmen.com

See you on the range,

John

Last edited:
Congratulations to WSA for their inaugural match! Six great stages including a low light event on the indoor range. The match went very smoothly and the food was great. Can't wait for next month.

Fantastic match (even though I shot terribly). Well done John Iacomini, and many thanks to the board and members of WSA for opening up the club for IDPA!

Dumb question, but are these IDPA matches only for WSA members? I've been dying to try IDPA and WSA is definitely the closest club that would hold these events. Driving to Harvard or Hopkington from Gloucester kinda blows lol. But Bedford would be about 35-40 min drive on the weekend for me.

Good to know, thanks! I'll have to do some reading up on the rules/regs so I'm not totally clueless when I do go at some point.

The rules are on idpa.com. Definitely worth reading. Watch a few youtubes of IDPA matches.

The most important thing when attending your first match is safety. Safety, safety, safety. No one cares how slow you go. They only care that you don't scare the crap out of them. So, listen to the safety officer and go slow. Your gun can only come out of the holster on three occasions: 1) when a safety officer tells you to do so, 2) when you are on the line, the safety officer has said "stand by" and you then hear the beep, or 3) when you are at a safety table.

Some stages have table starts (gun starts on a table or in a box) and new shooters, anxious to get ready, sometimes take their gun out of their holster and put it on the table before being told to do so. That is an automatic disqualification -- you are done for the day. Don't do that.

Watch your muzzle direction. New shooters often screw this up. Keep it down range at all times. New shooters sometimes break the 180 when moving (typically a right-handed shooter moving to his left), when reloading, or when navigating around barricades.

Don't crowd cover. New shooters often get too close to cover and as a result when moving or reloading they point their gun in an unsafe direction. If you stay back a bit from cover, then you have room to work while keeping your gun pointed downrange.

During unload and show clear, take a deep breath, do it one step at a time. Force yourself to slow down and calm down. Take out the magazine first and STOW IT IN A POCKET. Don't fumble with it in your hand. Now cycle the slide several times to make sure you have ejected the round. Lock the slide open. Visually check the chamber and let the safety officer see that it is empty.

One more thing, bring at least four magazines. It's just easier that way.

Last edited:
Does this require us belonging to the national IDPA or can we just pay the fee and play? I just started to shoot IDPA before I moved. The club made us take a safety class before we could compete, which was actually very informative. Shot one match then my work hours changed, but it was a blast. I will be on the looking for the next match.

IDPA policy is that you can shoot your first match without joining the national. After that, you must join the national organization. I don't know what WSA's policies are, but I can only assume that they are following IDPA policies.

The rules are on idpa.com. Definitely worth reading. Watch a few youtubes of IDPA matches.

The most important thing when attending your first match is safety. Safety, safety, safety. No one cares how slow you go. They only care that you don't scare the crap out of them. So, listen to the safety officer and go slow. Your gun can only come out of the holster on three occasions: 1) when a safety officer tells you to do so, 2) when you are on the line, the safety officer has said "stand by" and you then hear the beep, or 3) when you are at a safety table.

Some stages have table starts (gun starts on a table or in a box) and new shooters, anxious to get ready, sometimes take their gun out of their holster and put it on the table before being told to do so. That is an automatic disqualification -- you are done for the day. Don't do that.

Watch your muzzle direction. New shooters often screw this up. Keep it down range at all times. New shooters sometimes break the 180 when moving (typically a right-handed shooter moving to his left), when reloading, or when navigating around barricades.

Don't crowd cover. New shooters often get too close to cover and as a result when moving or reloading they point their gun in an unsafe direction. If you stay back a bit from cover, then you have room to work while keeping your gun pointed downrange.

During unload and show clear, take a deep breath, do it one step at a time. Force yourself to slow down and calm down. Take out the magazine first and STOW IT IN A POCKET. Don't fumble with it in your hand. Now cycle the slide several times to make sure you have ejected the round. Lock the slide open. Visually check the chamber and let the safety officer see that it is empty.

One more thing, bring at least four magazines. It's just easier that way.

Wow thanks for all the good tips! I know I'm very good at keeping the muzzle of my guns downrange at all times but I'm sure it's different when you're running around and being timed etc.

I'll avoid crapping up this thread with questions as I'm sure they can be answered on the IDPA website but regarding mags, is there a minimum/maximum capacity for IDPA matches? I've only done steel plate matches at my club and we had 6 plates to knock down and we would have 6 rounds in our mags.

Wow thanks for all the good tips! I know I'm very good at keeping the muzzle of my guns downrange at all times but I'm sure it's different when you're running around and being timed etc.

It is a lot different when you are moving. It is easy to keep the muzzle down range when you are standing still on a square range and you are not under time pressure.

I'll avoid crapping up this thread with questions as I'm sure they can be answered on the IDPA website but regarding mags, is there a minimum/maximum capacity for IDPA matches? I've only done steel plate matches at my club and we had 6 plates to knock down and we would have 6 rounds in our mags.

Yes, there is. It is called division capacity and it is dependent upon which division you are shooting. What gun will you be shooting?

It is a lot different when you are moving. It is easy to keep the muzzle down range when you are standing still on a square range and you are not under time pressure.

Yes, there is. It is called division capacity and it is dependent upon which division you are shooting. What gun will you be shooting?

Ya I remember how quickly my accuracy dropped during the steel plate shoots so I can only imagine what it's like when you're moving around.

Oh gotcha. Well the top 3 semi-auto pistols I own that I would like to use would be my CZ-75b (I have 10 and 15 rd mags), S&W 1911 pro series 9mm (10 rounds), and M&P 9 (10 rounds).

CZ and M&P would be best in SSP division. The other would be ESP. Division capacity in both of those divisions is 10+1. You can use 15 round mags, you just load with 10 rounds.

CZ and M&P would be best in SSP division. The other would be ESP. Division capacity in both of those divisions is 10+1. You can use 15 round mags, you just load with 10 rounds.

Okay great. I've got 5 mags for my CZ, 3 for my M&P, and I think I have 3 or 4 for my S&W 1911, I'll have to check. What I don't have is mag pouches and holsters.

Okay great. I've got 5 mags for my CZ, 3 for my M&P, and I think I have 3 or 4 for my S&W 1911, I'll have to check. What I don't have is mag pouches and holsters.

You'll need at least two mag pouches. I recommend an outside the waistband, vertical drop, kydex holster. Comp-tac, Safariland, and Bladetech all make decent holsters.

You'll need at least two mag pouches. I recommend an outside the waistband, vertical drop, kydex holster. Comp-tac, Safariland, and Bladetech all make decent holsters.

Awesome, thanks for the great advice/tips.

Andrew, for a holster, I'll also recommend Eric Olson of 508 holsters (if you have Facebook, you can look him up and connect with him there). He's out of Worcester, and can provide holsters for at least your 1911 and M&P. He probably can do your CZ, too. His prices are very competitive, but more importantly, his turnaround is amazingly fast. He shoots local, too including WSA, so if you were to put in a request, he could potentially bring the holster to the match and save you shipping. I use one of his for my Glock, and the quality is great. Alternatively, if you wanted to try it out and don't want to shell out the extra cash for those things, you are more than welcome to use my backup gun, a full size Ruger SR9, for a match. I have four mags, a holster and everything you need except a belt and ammo. I could probably help you with the ammo, too!

Andrew, for a holster, I'll also recommend Eric Olson of 508 holsters (if you have Facebook, you can look him up and connect with him there). He's out of Worcester, and can provide holsters for at least your 1911 and M&P. He probably can do your CZ, too. His prices are very competitive, but more importantly, his turnaround is amazingly fast. He shoots local, too including WSA, so if you were to put in a request, he could potentially bring the holster to the match and save you shipping. I use one of his for my Glock, and the quality is great. Alternatively, if you wanted to try it out and don't want to shell out the extra cash for those things, you are more than welcome to use my backup gun, a full size Ruger SR9, for a match. I have four mags, a holster and everything you need except a belt and ammo. I could probably help you with the ammo, too!

Ill check him out, thanks! I'm good on ammo as I do reload a lot but I appreciate the offer. I'll have to do more research on belts and holsters for at least my M&P and CZ. I forgot I have cheap blade tech OWB 1911 holster but I haven't used it since the last plate shoot over a year ago. I remember that it wasn't very tight and the gun would wobble around. Anyway thanks for the great info.

Looks like bladetech makes holsters for the CZ75b

http://shop.blade-tech.com/index.php?cPath=1_23_24&osCsid=04dovvvh1f2c8g3mavni2of0p7#.VUgZ70b3anO

Not sure what the different attachment options are though. "Tek-lok", adjustable paddle, SR loop, loop duty, sting ray loop? Maybe I'll start a different thread to avoid hijacking this one.

1) You don't want Tek-lok. That works for USPSA, not for IDPA.

2) You don't want a paddle. Paddles aren't as secure and don't keep the gun close enough to your body.

3) You don't want a duty loop, that is for a duty belt.

I can't help you on the other loops. Contact blade-tech.

1) You don't want Tek-lok. That works for USPSA, not for IDPA.

2) You don't want a paddle. Paddles aren't as secure and don't keep the gun close enough to your body.

3) You don't want a duty loop, that is for a duty belt.

I can't help you on the other loops. Contact blade-tech.

Okay cool, will do thanks again. Ya I think the holster I have for my 1911 is a paddle and I didn't like how the gun flopped around and wasn't as secure and close to the body as you said.

You'll need a good gun belt as well. I like the Wilderness Instructor belt (I prefer kevlar reinforced), but there are plenty of good gun belts. Get 1 1/2" wide.

Awesome, thanks for the great advice/tips.

Andrew, we are running IDPA practices as well at WSA on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of every month from 7-10pm. It's a good way to get started and is very low-key. Come check it out! I also live in the North Shore so WSA is more convenient than Harvard and some of the other clubs. I am in the process of joining the club but you can participate in practices and, of course, matches as a non-member.

Andrew, we are running IDPA practices as well at WSA on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of every month from 7-10pm. It's a good way to get started and is very low-key. Come check it out! I also live in the North Shore so WSA is more convenient than Harvard and some of the other clubs. I am in the process of joining the club but you can participate in practices and, of course, matches as a non-member.

Great suggestion.

Wow 7-10 huh. I'm sure I could make one of those, though I woildnt get home until 1045 then be a zombie when I wake up for work at 5. But it would be worth it! Thanks for the heads up! Lots of great advice from everyone here. Just curious, where abouts on the north shore are ya?

Back
Top Bottom