Woburn Sportsmen's Association IDPA Inaugural!

Depends upon the shadow. Shadow custom is legal for SSP. Shadow target is not. In fact, I believe a Shadow target isn't legal for ESP either.

But the question here, if I'm following correctly, is whether a non-shadow CZ-75 with a shadow hammer is still legal. I don't know the answer to that question. My knee jerk reaction is that it is a visible change, so it is not legal for SSP.

This is where I'm out of my depth on the rules.

I would post a new thread on idpaforum.yuku.com. At least one of the guys on there is on one of the IDPA Tiger Teams.

Yeah I'll have to make an account on that forum. Thanks for the link.

So should I be concerned if I would be in the ESP division vs. the SSP division?

Yeah I'll have to make an account on that forum. Thanks for the link.

So should I be concerned if I would be in the ESP division vs. the SSP division?

If it is legal in ESP, I wouldn't worry about it. Just compete in ESP. There is little, if any, difference in times between SSP and ESP. Typically there are more people shooting SSP, but it's not a big deal. It isn't like shooting revolver, where there may only be 3 guys at a matching shooting revolver and the other two are Masters.

If it is legal in ESP, I wouldn't worry about it. Just compete in ESP. There is little, if any, difference in times between SSP and ESP. Typically there are more people shooting SSP, but it's not a big deal. It isn't like shooting revolver, where there may only be 3 guys at a matching shooting revolver and the other two are Masters.

Ohhh aright cool. I just wanted to make sure before I spend a good amount of money on a holster. Thanks.

So this has been widely debated and still confusing, but the general consensus is SP-01 Shadow Custom is ok for SSP, but not the Shadow Target. The biggest difference is the milled slide to fit the rear sight. Since the Target is not approved for SSP, it is not approved for ESP because of the full dustcover.

Now the hammer (my understanding) if it is the one the one you see at CZ Custom, it is okay, because that is listed as a factory part by CZ - called the Combat Hammer.

But you mentioned you got the hammer from Cajun, which looks a bit like the one from CZC, but it is NOT the same. Cajun makes their own hammer. So that would make it an external modification and not approved for SSP, then in turn not approved for ESP. Can't cite the rule numbers, but there was something about no full dust covers in ESP, but can get an exemption if the pistol met SSP requirements.

Just things I read on the web before when I was wondering.
91030_logo1000_0040.jpg

So this has been widely debated and still confusing, but the general consensus is SP-01 Shadow Custom is ok for SSP, but not the Shadow Target. The biggest difference is the milled slide to fit the rear sight. Since the Target is not approved for SSP, it is not approved for ESP because of the full dustcover.

Now the hammer (my understanding) if it is the one the one you see at CZ Custom, it is okay, because that is listed as a factory part by CZ - called the Combat Hammer.

But you mentioned you got the hammer from Cajun, which looks a bit like the one from CZC, but it is NOT the same. Cajun makes their own hammer. So that would make it an external modification and not approved for SSP, then in turn not approved for ESP. Can't cite the rule numbers, but there was something about no full dust covers in ESP, but can get an exemption if the pistol met SSP requirements.

91030_logo1000_0040.jpg

Sounds like I shouldn't have opened my mouth on the work I got done to my CZ....kidding aside, I don't have the shadow model. I have a 75b but it's looking like it will be in the ESP division. This rule is under the ESP inclusive mod list:

8.2.2.2.13 Hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger pull.

I know!!

Andrew1220, missed that fact - sorry :) - 75b, you should be good to go in ESP. Hey one benefit, you can start in single action with the safety on.

Okay well I'm glad it's not just me that's getting confused and getting a headache trying to understand these rules. Almost as clear as the MA gun laws.....nah not that bad[laugh]

No worries tabasco. We've been discussing both models in this thread so it's easy to mix up which one were talking about lol.

My daughter is 11 and shoots 9mm! No restrictions on Jrs. as long as they are safe!!! Jrs. also shoot for free!

91030_logo1000_0040.jpg

The Shadow Target model is listed by CZ as a production gun, not a custom so the rear sight installation would not be a "visible modification".

CZ USA now lists the Shadow Target as a factory option on its web site.
CZ USA builds the gun. Then the CZ Custom a Shop, which is a separate entity, then takes the factory Shadow and mills the slide. So it is a modified CZ USA gun, and thus illegal for IDPA. That appears to be the consensus.

Last edited:
CZ USA builds the gun. Then the CZ Custom a Shop, which is a separate entity, then takes the factory Shadow and mills the slide. So it is a modified CZ USA gun, and thus illegal for IDPA. That appears to be the consensus.

I don't think so. CZ USA is a factory web site listing stock guns only, none of Angus's customs. He jumped the gun by building his own version of the "Shadow Target", but now the factory is offering their own version. It can't be "modified" if it is produced by the factory.

I don't think so. CZ USA is a factory web site listing stock guns only, none of Angus's customs. He jumped the gun by building his own version of the "Shadow Target", but now the factory is offering their own version. It can't be "modified" if it is produced by the factory.

You might want to read their description of the Shadow Target a little more closely.

That is not the consensus. The Shadow a Target is a CZ Custom Shop gun, not a CZ USA gun. And since the slide has been milled to accept the target sights, it is not legal for SSP.

http://idpaforum.yuku.com/topic/11586/CZ-sight-cuts?page=2#.VVCUtm-COK0

Another BS IDPA rule and justification.. they are still just another notch and post type. Such nonsense. They have done everything in their power to say "We ban CZ Custom guns" but welcome "Wilson Combat custom Berettas" without actually saying it in the rule book.

8.2.1.3.1 Sights may be changed to another notch and post type. Slides may not be machined to accept different style sights.

Another BS IDPA rule and justification.. they are still just another notch and post type. Such nonsense. They have done everything in their power to say "We ban CZ Custom guns" but welcome "Wilson Combat custom Berettas" without actually saying it in the rule book. 8.2.1.3.1 Sights may be changed to another notch and post type. Slides may not be machined to accept different style sights.

I agree that the rule is BS. Post and notch is post and notch. If you want to spend money to have slide machined to install different sights you should be able to do so.

Back
Top Bottom