Wired Danger Room

It's going to happen sooner or later. The technology is there, the cat is out of the bag. Just a matter of time.

Can't blame the printer company for acting like this, though, I guess. They probably just want to avoid getting sued into oblivion when the first person is killed by a printed gun.

Hell, I have a cheap mini-mill/lathe and given enough time and a block of brass I could build a pistol.

I guess now that your average computer dorks could print a firearm it is more dangerous?

Chris

Even though there's nothing illegal about the "Wiki Weapon" project... I'm surprised the ATF didn't visit him sooner.

My guess... the ATF has been consulting with their legal and tech departments since day one, couldn't find any legal grounds to stop the project, so coerced the printer owners to cancel the lease.

IIRC... a similar situation existed when laser printers and scanners became capable of producing passable counterfeit US currency.

No law was passed hindering the technology, but they were "asked" by Treasury Dept/SS to embed hardware that would thwart counterfeiting efforts.

As a result of this, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if 3-D printer manufacturers followed suit... either voluntarily, or by coercion.

It's going to happen sooner or later. The technology is there, the cat is out of the bag. Just a matter of time.

Can't blame the printer company for acting like this, though, I guess. They probably just want to avoid getting sued into oblivion when the first person is killed by a printed gun.
We are the distributor for Stratasys in New England. I'll start by saying I have not discussed this case with anyone from the company so it's my opinion, only, and an uninformed oe at that.

They have many firearm industry customers as well as many, shall we say, "national defense organizations" as customers. I believe it is the "Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988" that had them most concerned, but that sin't the only one. Keep in mind the company is in Minnesota and is just about shut down the first week of hunting season. And that this technology is new enough and the advances rapid enough that what wasn't possible last summer could be possible in November.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom