• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester Service Grade M1 - First Shots

How did you come to Winchester ?
Did you find numbers under the ferrul.
The Winchester V in trigger lock area?

im going to guess its a post war that has that almost V notch look like the Winchesters... Theres some good pictures on cmp forum showing the difference.
IIRC overton manufacturing made a lot of beech/birch replacement stocks that looked a lot like original Wins?
The cartouches on your stock don't really indicate a Win stock either?

I do not have the books but I did borrow one of Scott Duffs books from a club member and I think it said that beech/Birch where not introduced until after 1957 ? 1960 is stuck in my head

Last edited:
Interesting. I didn't know Winchester produced anything other than Walnut stocks.

im going to guess its a post war that has that almost V notch look like the Winchesters... Theres some good pictures on cmp forum showing the difference.
IIRC overton manufacturing made a lot of beech/birch replacement stocks that looked a lot like original Wins?
The cartouches on your stock don't really indicate a Win stock either?

I do not have the books but I did borrow one of Scott Duffs books from a club member and I think it said that beech/Birch where not introduced until after 1957 ? 1960 is stuck in my head

OK, maybe not. May post up on CMP for opinions.

Would the Overtons / post wars have the eagle stamp and circle-P?

edit- OK, Findley states no birch / beech until after '57 when Garand production stopped.

If this stock wasn't in use until around the '65 rebuild period, whether it showed up to CMP with or around the same time as the barreled receiver or not, it somehow was flogged pretty hard and had tons of caked-on grime. OK so maybe not a Win, but curious what the origins of the stock would be & where it received its beatings.

Also, probably birch not beech- now that I've had a better look.

I'll go back to prep for shooting and leave the collector issues alone... [sad2]

Last edited:
I don't think win ever used the eagle/star cartouche
As for the beat up stock could have been pulled from a drill rifle or maybe from a national guard unit. My dad was in the MA national guard and they had M1 and every time I ever set foot in the armory the guys would be tossing the rifles around like they where trying out for the drill team or piled in the corner. If I knew any better then I would have grabbed everything they tossed in the dumpster.

Winchester only produced Walnut stocks. All birch stocks were replacement wood, beech stocks are not USGI, they are foreign manufacture

Your stock is not Winchester

Last edited:
Got it.
Definitely not Winchester.
Definitely birch.
Probably Overton replacement wood.
And this is why it was in such rough shape:

revenantbear.png

[smile]

Seriously, this thing was flogged hard. As mentioned, even the lower band was bent. We'll see how it all comes back together.

Thanks y'all for the schooling.

Got it.
Definitely not Winchester.
Definitely birch.
Probably Overton replacement wood.
And this is why it was in such rough shape:

revenantbear.png

[smile]

Seriously, this thing was flogged hard. As mentioned, even the lower band was bent. We'll see how it all comes back together.

Thanks y'all for the schooling.

Post 15 picture 2 how many times you think the muzzle bounced off the street.
Surplus weapons do not always get good treatment...

Actually, the crown looks pretty good & the barrel in general is in great condition. It should be- it's a '65.

Better?

G06zN9Ph.jpg
[/IMG]

As usual, 100 yards;on a SR-1. That 9-ring hit was the last shot. It dropped out like that- I don't think it was me because I took another shot at my sighting in target and hit low and right again. Could be the sight. Ordered a new rear cover as the original doesn't have much spring left even after I worked it a bit. Might just be settling in- I made maybe 4 sighting shots before the 5 shots on this SR-1.

Did you have idoktr make your shooting script?

yes... give him a call. I still need to find a set of frames and lenses that really work well but my Randolph Rangers work well for now. I had to go to morgan optical out of NY for the lens

Old Winchester, old ammo, and old eyes:

IMG_1060.jpg

Last 5 shots for group / score. Easily kept the black while sighting in. Actually, POI is pretty close to my 168 SMK / Varget loads. This LC required ~1 click down and 1 click left.

(cross posted on my ammo thread)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom