• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchendon Rod and Gun Club

Matt and I made for a little while. It was pretty slushy, but not too bad. No snowmobiles or ATVs were seen [grin]

I was trying to find out some information about the Winchendon gun club when my search brought me to this thread and website. Sure glad it did as I’m enjoying reading the information posted here about the club. I’m thinking of joining the club, and from the sounds all I have to do is show up with $40 bucks and fill out an application? No sponsors needed or anything like that?
Does anyone know if there are rules about bringing a hand gun into the bar portion of the club? Meaning if you went to shoot and decided to pop in for a drink when you were done, can you bring your gun in with you? I thought there were laws against carrying a gun in a bar where alcohol is served but maybe I am mistaken about this. Thanks!

No law against carrying in a bar. Obviously if you are going to drink it would be in your best interest to not carry and secure your firearm. [wink]

Yes when / if I go to the bar to “drink” then I leave my gun at home. But I was wondering if I am at the gun club, and when I am done shooting if its ok to have the gun on you if you stop into the club house. By asking if its ok – do the regulars do this? I wouldn’t stay there and get hammered but was more thinking of having ONE drink before leaving to help support the club. Or do people bring there cases and lock the guns in their vehicle before going in?

Yes when / if I go to the bar to “drink” then I leave my gun at home. But I was wondering if I am at the gun club, and when I am done shooting if its ok to have the gun on you if you stop into the club house. By asking if its ok – do the regulars do this? I wouldn’t stay there and get hammered but was more thinking of having ONE drink before leaving to help support the club. Or do people bring there cases and lock the guns in their vehicle before going in?

Swank, there is a big sign on the door saying no loaded weapons allowed inside. You park right outside the door so you can keep an eye on your vehicle.

P.S. Are you registered on HCS as well? I thought I recognized the name?

Swank, there is a big sign on the door saying no loaded weapons allowed inside. You park right outside the door so you can keep an eye on your vehicle.

P.S. Are you registered on HCS as well? I thought I recognized the name?

OK thanks for information! Never been in there so I didn't know there was a sign. One questions about that though - no loaded guns so can you unload and leave the ammo in the car and carry the pistol in? Or No? Not a big deal to bring my lock box but just trying to find these things out ahead of time.
Yes I am registered on HCS also. What is your name over there?

I don't know if they'll say anything about bringing it in as I've only been a member there 2 weeks now. Some of the other guys will probably chime in on it though. I just bring my lock boxes or range bags with locks on it and leave em in the truck.

MASSMACHZ

Concealed is CONCEALED. If it's in plain view, then make sure it's unloaded. I don't think they care if you have a loaded mag in your pocket. Just make sure the gun is unloaded. Naturally, I would also say that leaving the ammo in the car is a good idea. If you walk in with an AR15 and a couple loaded mags in your back pockets; probably a bad idea....

I was in the Sante Fe, and 96cbr900rr in his Tacoma. I knew we should've went over when he said you had an EBR[grin]. We were there with my two EBR's (one is EXTREMELY EVIL) [wink], Mossberg 500's, and misc 9mm & .45's.

No kidding, I'm new to the club, so I didn't want to go ask everyone I saw if they were NES. Now that I know who you guys are I'll introduce myself next time. I put about 100 rds. through the EBR and it was GOOOOOOOD!

Yeah, I think we went threw 150 or so on the EBR's. I tested some mags (*cough* pre-ban Beta C-mag *cough*) and reloads threw them. I shot about 100 each in 9mm and .45acp. Plus another 60 or so in .357mag and 38 spl (again some reload tests). It's to bad the darn rain kept going when we were there. I wanted to pull out the chrony for the reloads. Well all in all it was a GOOD day :)

Archery coming to WRG....

FYI. We were there yesterday, and the club is putting an archery course in behind the pistol/rifle berm. We were told that the pistol/rifle range will be closed on the second and fourth Sundays of the month due to Archery events.

WTF!! That is the absolute stupidest place to put that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about the huge field before the range? They could shoot across that field no problem!! (and close the "220yd" portion of the range)

I'm finally paying the price for not going to meetings... I knew it would come sooner or later...

On a good note. We were talking to the guys, and I guess they're sealing off the trail that the ATVs come screaming thru.

Although I think that having an archery range/3D course at the club will be great (I live right up the street), it does seem that behind the shooting range is a poor location. It is not just losing the use of the shooting range on a couple Sundays a month (when they have archery/3D shoots), what about conflicts of use if people wanted to practice on the archery/3D range - or will the archery/3D range be completely off limits except for those Sundays. It seems that to be able to utilize both the shooting range and a new archery range/3D course to their fullest, you would not want the use of one to conflict with the use of the other (I guess I, too, should start going to meetings or not be complaining).

Well, I joined up today and promptly went over the the 100 yd firing line for some trigger time. I just picked up one of them new-fangled "tatical" slings for my SAR-1 and wanted to try it out.

Once I figgured out how to set the thing up things went fairly smoothly. I think I've finally got the irons sighted in on that thing. (Been using a tru-glo red dot). I also switched the Tru-Glo for a C-more and hoo-boy, what a difference ! [smile]

I ran into Matt and had a chance to try his AR. Hit a 2 liter pop bottle 100 yards out on the 3rd shot. Nice AR there Matt!

For some reason the "sproing" sound seemed much less annoying on this AR than on others I've tried. Sweet rifle.

I can't wait for the NES lowers to come in, I want an AR soo bad right now. [thinking]

FYI. We were there yesterday, and the club is putting an archery course in behind the pistol/rifle berm. We were told that the pistol/rifle range will be closed on the second and fourth Sundays of the month due to Archery events.

WTF!! That is the absolute stupidest place to put that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about the huge field before the range? They could shoot across that field no problem!! (and close the "220yd" portion of the range)

I'm finally paying the price for not going to meetings... I knew it would come sooner or later...

OK, I went into the club house this afternoon to ask about this. Here is what I found out:

1) There is an archery range kind of behind the club house (who knew). It has not been used recently as the guy who ran it is not involved anymore.

2) The "3D Range" behind the berm: there are trails back there that will be used for SPECIFIC events, not open for regular use. During these events the rifle/pistol range will be closed. There will be several such event during the summer. Apparently all on Sunday.

3) The first of these events will be held Sunday, May 11th

So, it's not as bad as it sounded before. We won't be competing for time with the archers except for those specific events, which as was pointed out to me, is really no different than the range being used for the bowling pin shoots or some other event. (appleseed shoot? hhmm... may be the only way I get to one is if I try to organize it!!)

Matt

Back
Top Bottom