• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchendon Rod and Gun Club

I just joined my local R&G club. Not the greatest facilities, but they have a decent outdoor range.

The bartender took my $40. When I asked about range rules, he said "well... no alchohol on the range. other than that do what ever. Oh yeah, its closed during dear season. That's about it."

Well, at least it's close. (and cheap)
Matt

Last edited:
Fill us in, Matt. What's the name of it, where it is & what facilites do they have?
Thanks!
Jon

It is the Winchendon MA Rod and Gun Club. The facilities include a bar (imagine the smell of old, old, old, old beer mixed with cigarette ashes in a windowless cinderblock building), a small pond, and a ~100yd multi use outdoor range.

The range has ~10 covered shooting stations that are not bad. They also have a couple of shooting benches set up (not covered). It looks pretty well cared for and kept up.

They do pin shoots once per month in the summer.

Range is open year round (except deer season), but after snow flies you have to trudge through the snow a few hundered yards to get to the range.

That about covers it.

Matt

Sounds like a pretty good place to shoot and cheap too. Have fun!
I hope you don't mind but I put the name of the club in your topic.

JonJ said:
...and cheap too. Have fun!

Yeah, $40 is the family membership. $25 for single person.
(I'm assuming I'll get my wife down there to make use of it!)

It's not a bad place (despite my review of the bar... that's just my general bias against smoking. Can't stand it personally. I don't like the laws against public smoking, but I enjoy them if you know what I mean)

Matt

club.jpg

Yes, the 200+yd range shoots over the 100yd range and the pond and the road to the 100yd range, and yes, you shoot from the picnic tables in the picnic area. Before shooting from 200yds you have to ensure the 100yd range is clear, then close the gate to the road.

derek said:
Is there a pistol range?

the 100yd range is multi use. We set up saw horses at pistol range to hold the targets.

If I'm there during the week by myself I'll go down to the end of the 100yd range and do some work from the holster. It's a pretty informal place.

If you want to come by and check it out, PM me.

Matt

Price is right. Probably too far for me to travel anyways, but I'm a little worried about the combined 200/100 yard range.

senorFrog said:
Price is right. Probably too far for me to travel anyways, but I'm a little worried about the combined 200/100 yard range.

Yeah, there is only one or two guys who use it that way. I've only seen it once. They are carefull about it. Personally I'd like to see that 200yd portion closed.

I went in there a month ago, asked about signing up and got a bit of an attitude from the bartender. Also heard a couple negative experiences with range usage being the at the bottom of the priorities for club members (dirt bike riding closes down the range quite often during non-winter months).

I'd be curious to see how it pans out for you. I live less than 3 miles from there (take a right onto the dirt road right after the club) and have yet to see anyone using the range even though I drive by it every day. I'm currently looking for a 100+ yard range to use since I just joined the Gardner indoor range (and couldn't be happier!).

i may renew my membership,would like to see a formal archery range with trees or telephnone poles for tree stand climbers to practice, steel auto reset targets on the range,a pond that can sustain aquatic life.its a great place for those who just like to shoot and be left alone.

Winchendon R & G

I've recently joined the Winchendon R & G and was told that guests were not allowed to shoot at the range. Is this how most clubs operate? I have a few friend interested in learning about shooting who I'd like to take out, but I don't think they should be paying for a membership only to find out shooting is not their "cup o'tea."

Any members of the club on here have any experience with this rule and it enforcement? Seems kinda silly to me. When I was a member at Fitchburg R&G a few years ago, guests just had to sign in under you.

I've recently joined the Winchendon R & G and was told that guests were not allowed to shoot at the range. Is this how most clubs operate? I have a few friend interested in learning about shooting who I'd like to take out, but I don't think they should be paying for a membership only to find out shooting is not their "cup o'tea."

Any members of the club on here have any experience with this rule and it enforcement? Seems kinda silly to me. When I was a member at Fitchburg R&G a few years ago, guests just had to sign in under you.
I do not recall being told anything about guests being prohibited when I joined. As far as enforcement there is little enforcement of ANY rules; let alone that one, if it exists.

p.s. You're at least the 4th Winchendon resident on NES, and there are 1 or 2 others who sometimes shoot there. When do you usually shot there? With the weather improving I hope to get down there on Sunday afternoons more often.

I moved to town 3 years ago and just got my neutered LTC a few months ago. Joined the club Saturday because the local LEO's kicked me out of Lost Lake where I grew up shooting, threatening to arrest me for trespassing. (not posted, but I'm not about to ague with the issuing officer). I asked about guests in the bar when I was filling out my membership application and the response from 2 women and one guy was no guests may shoot. Thought it was a bit strange, but wasn't about to question the regulars.

I live about 4 miles from the club and plan on getting there as much as possible. The gate was closed because of the mud, but I did take a walk down to the 100 yd. range to check it out. Seems like the saw horses need a little work, nothing a little duct tape can't fix.

Went down yesterday after work and put some lead down range. No one else was there and the club house was closed. Kinda nice not having to worry about anything. I did see the snowmobile/ATV trail that comes into the range and it's definitely NOT a trail maintained by our snowmobile club.(coldbrook) Anyone who would ride past the multiple signs that say "LIVE RIFLE RANGE KEEP OUT" is a complete idiot.

The gates are closed and the road is very muddy so it's a little bit of a trudge to get down to the 100yd range.

If you ever want some indoor range time, let me know. I'll take you as my guest to Gardner Rifle and Pistol club. 60 foot indoor heated(mildly) range open 24/7.

I live about 3 miles up Turnpike road right after the R&G. I'll consider it once I pick up a .223 for long range. Perhaps if they let guests in, we can go for a shoot some time.

BTW, the guy I bought the Ducati from PM'd me yesterday wondering if he may be able to buy it back.....:D

I was told the reason for no guests was due to insurance. I just make my guests pay the membership fee ($25) since it would cost them about the same to go to an indoor range. If they like shooting after that, then they can come back any time, and not have to worry about paying.

I have brought a friend to the range a few times eachtime I bought them a membership and prayed they stayed a mamber and no longer thought of guns as possesed evil demons that go around causing crimes. Most left with smiles on thier faces and 2 antis have been converted so far with more to go i hope.

If you ever want some indoor range time, let me know. I'll take you as my guest to Gardner Rifle and Pistol club. 60 foot indoor heated(mildly) range open 24/7.

I live about 3 miles up Turnpike road right after the R&G. I'll consider it once I pick up a .223 for long range. Perhaps if they let guests in, we can go for a shoot some time.

BTW, the guy I bought the Ducati from PM'd me yesterday wondering if he may be able to buy it back.....:D

Appreciate the offer C, same goes for you. I was shooting the CAR-15 down there yesterday, the .223 is a fun round. If you want to give it a rip let me know. I live about 3 miles in the other direction. Cross 202 about 1/2 mile up Hale St., that's why I joined. I'm doing my best to keep the Duc, but if things change I'll let ya know.

I was told the reason for no guests was due to insurance. I just make my guests pay the membership fee ($25) since it would cost them about the same to go to an indoor range. If they like shooting after that, then they can come back any time, and not have to worry about paying.

I have cheap friends, getting them to pay for ammo is a pain, never mind a membership.

Wow, I there are more NES'ers in the area that I knew about. I'm just 0.8 miles east of the club on River Street.

I asked about guests in the bar when I was filling out my membership application and the response from 2 women and one guy was no guests may shoot. Thought it was a bit strange, but wasn't about to question the regulars.

Yeah, there's a sign in the vestibule that says insurance does not cover non-members and therefor they are not allowed to shoot there.

Regarding the snowmobiles and 4-wheelers... see here.

Matt

Anyone going down this afternoon? I really don't have time to (still haven't done my taxes, have a TON of stuff to do to prep for work this week, etc.) but I haven't been out for a long time... MUST... GO... SHOOOOOT!!!

Assuming I don't buckle to the load of pending work to do (highly possible) I'll be down around 1-1:30 and will probably be there for about 1-2 hours.

Matt

Not today. Installing an over the range microwave to replace the one that died yesterday. Maybe next weekend if the weather holds up.

Back
Top Bottom