• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchendon Rod and Gun Club

I was a Member down there (I live in NH) from '91-'99 ...and I have an '09 Membership now too.

The Club is basically a bar with a firearms range attached. The bar and its associated activities ...ahem, keep the Membership fees low. Though, there was a very strong rumor that the place was in financial straits last winter. Apparently (at the time in any case), there are several freezers packed with Members' meat and skins, and the electrical bill is cumbersome. I don't know whether things were ever worked-out, but they're still in business.

The nice thing is that it's fairly quiet there ...with a slight uptick before hunting season. And there are a few guys that maintain the property pretty well.

I like the covered shooting area, and the berm that's plenty-tall.

Back before the covered area was built, and the parking lot was extended, you used to be able to get 340 yards out of the place from the pine knoll (for those who remember those days).

Now, I keep the Membership to shoot with a buddy in Winchendon when it's more convenient than Monadnock Rod & Gun Club. Taking my firearms into MA is usually not worth the hassle.

When I get down there to shoot, there's usually an old duff or two that show up sniffin' for brass! That'll probably be me in a few decades if I live that long!

Is the Winchendon club still open and where exactly is it? Google Maps has 169 Old Winchendon Road listed, but that address doesn't look the one in the photo Matt posted

Yes, it's still open to my knowledge.

That Google Maps address is miles off. The Club is on River St. about 2.5-3 miles off of Route 202W in Winchendon (as you head toward Royalston, MA).

978-297-3955

Use River St. as your search term, and follow River St. until it turns into Winchendon Rd. ...just before that transition, you'll see (satellite view) the Gun Club's Grounds.

If you pass Old Turnpike Road on your right, then you've gone too far.

Last edited:
I do not recall being told anything about guests being prohibited when I joined. As far as enforcement there is little enforcement of ANY rules; let alone that one, if it exists.

p.s. You're at least the 4th Winchendon resident on NES, and there are 1 or 2 others who sometimes shoot there. When do you usually shot there? With the weather improving I hope to get down there on Sunday afternoons more often.

Hey, Kevin.. I just took my kid this past weekend to shoot, and, as you may know, along with the new keys you must have to get in, they have updated the signs, and my son definitely read off a, "No guests," rule as we were driving in..

I love that range and how they leave you alone.. As long as it's daylight, you can go shoot-no signing in, now notification of any kind.. Nice..

the "no guests" policy has been there for a while... after all, guests could be dangerous... they don't know to check for snowmobiles or 4 wheelers who seem to have right of way on the range...

Welcome to stsinner.

Hey, Kevin.. I just took my kid this past weekend to shoot, and, as you may know, along with the new keys you must have to get in, they have updated the signs, and my son definitely read off a, "No guests," rule as we were driving in..

I love that range and how they leave you alone.. As long as it's daylight, you can go shoot-no signing in, now notification of any kind.. Nice..
Welcome aboard stsinner. Good to see you here.

I recently renewed my membership. The price has gone up to $50 and they are now locking the gate all the time. It's an extra $5 for your own key. It was mentioned that there was a discount on your renewal if you participated in a work-day, but I've never gotten any communications from the club to know when the work-days are.

The Winchendon Rod & Gun club is usually a real laid back place to shoot. I've been a member since back in the 60's, and remember setting my portable shooting table up in the parking lot to get 300 yards down to the berm. I doubt that can be done these days, but again that was back when there were plenty of open spaces for chuck and crow shooting. I like the covered benches they have now; especially nice in the hot weather. Overall I'd give their range a thumbs up!!

Winchendon R&G

I've been a member there for many years, since the mid 80's', and remember 8.00 membership my 1st year. Have let my membership lapse a few times, but seem to get signed up each year. Living out of state, I don't always bring weapons, but do enjoy the range when I can. Good people at the club,also.

Just moved into town. I wanna go check out the range. Do I need a sponser or is it still pay the bartender. Also where exactly is this place. And what day or time is baest to go see it.

Looking for a place to shoot, posting to see if anyone has any updated membership info and pricing on this place. Has the guest policy changed at all? Is there a family membership deal?

Last edited:
071413 ~3AM - A deer was struck by a Winchendon cruiser on Route 140 toward Gardner, and I asked whether the road kill was going to WR&G, and the cop said that "it's closed".

Yup, I was just told that Winchendon Rod and Gun Club has been shut down. And not due to an accident or violations and such, just poor management and maintenance. Someone with a little energy, smarts and gumption could have made that place great.

I hope that it's not true (permanent), if so, it's a damn shame, good luck getting a "closed" Club back in business in Massachusetts.

You could still get over 340 yards out of that place when set up in the parking area. Nice to test a gun if you're heading out west to shoot or hunt where long-range shots are commonplace as opposed to the 40 yard shots here in NH.

Last edited:
Anybody know if it is still closed? A 200 yard local range would be awesome prep for my moose hunt this fall, otherwise I'm going to have to drive a distance. I got spoiled with the Fitchburg club 10 minutes away, they only have a 100.

Anybody know if it is still closed? A 200 yard local range would be awesome prep for my moose hunt this fall, otherwise I'm going to have to drive a distance. I got spoiled with the Fitchburg club 10 minutes away, they only have a 100.

Monadnock Rod and Gun Club (Peterborough/Jaffrey town line) is about 15 miles from the MA-NH border on 202 from Winchendon into Rindge. If you're talking about the Fitchburg Club in Ashby, it's probably about 18 miles up 119 to 202 to the Club.

We have a 200 yard range, and if you're looking to sight-in and do some practice, you're welcome to come as my guest. I spend a lot of time at the Club, so am there frequently at odd hours. If you wanted to make arrangements. PM me, and let me know.

As far as the Winchendon Club, I have no idea, other than to report that a quick online search did not turn up any current events or data.

Last edited:
It's not closed. The FB page is active, and I hear shooting from there every weekend, and occasional weekday evenings.

Back
Top Bottom